8 9 10 11 12
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
11/4/18 8:38 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to Patrick :

Be careful with the throttle in corners.  

Only on grm can someone make this comment on a gasser thread without being an shiny happy person.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/4/18 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

And in my experience, a Locker drives perfectly swell in corners.  It's like an open diff 99% of the time you are driving, and if you accelerate firmly while cornering, the nose feels like someone is yanking it to the inside of the corner just like when I used to drive a welded diff or clutch type diff - the inside tire spins slightly and the outside tire does not, and it kinda thrust-vectors you around the corner like a tank or 6x6.  (A vehicle dynamics envelope that, somehow, I do not see this particular vehicle entering very frequently)   You end up with all the grip you want, while avoiding things like horrible steering at low speeds and/or broken axles.

The only spooky thing is that sometimes when you go from coasting to accelerating on the highway, the back end does a little 1-2 wiggle, and even then it's only spooky when towing a trailer, in the rain, on 15 year old all-seasons...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/6/18 5:58 p.m.

Mood:  i watched a YouTube video i can totally do this

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
11/6/18 6:06 p.m.

I'm liking the minimalist  tool approach to rear end rebuilding.   If it's on the internet, it must be true.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/6/18 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I love it. 

The 9" (and 9 1/4 and 8 3/4 MoPar) are some of the easier to do, as you don't have to fiddle with shimming the carrier. Well, the 9 1/4 not nearly as much unless you have the tool to go down the axle tube, but yeah...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/7/18 4:58 p.m.

I worked mostly from home today(building, staining and putting poly on things) so i did some things and measures and drawing in between coats.  I also went to tractor supply and spent 90 cents on the car.  Straightened out the trashed front splash pan/valence and reinforced it so it would stay put.  I finally successfully used my harbor freight bender thingy

Also my buddy Jeff’s dad has a bridgeport, but I don’t know how to use one.  Jeff went to engineering school and apparently does, and he claims we can easily change the bolt pattern on the axles.  I’ll believe it when i see it, but something something set up radius then the display shows degrees because it has a rotary table then 360/5 degrees is where each hole centers.  Sounds solid, but i shall make him practice on a junk hub first so i can trust him.

bonus: the fan in my one year old lincoln welder is dying, and my welder is my most helpful form of mental health therapy 

you can all get out your jump to conclusions mats as to why i’d be welding a curved reinforcement tube into the front valence panel.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/7/18 6:00 p.m.
Patrick said:

you can all get out  you jump to conclusions mats as to why i’d be welding a curved reinforcement tube into the front valence panel.  

Ok. I'll jump.

Hopefully it equals tilt front end. yes

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/7/18 7:10 p.m.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/7/18 8:10 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to Patrick :

I love it. 

The 9" (and 9 1/4 and 8 3/4 MoPar) are some of the easier to do, as you don't have to fiddle with shimming the carrier. Well, the 9 1/4 not nearly as much unless you have the tool to go down the axle tube, but yeah...

You don't even need a press to mess with pinion depth on a 9", since the shims go under the pinion support, not the rear pinion bearing.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
11/7/18 8:11 p.m.

Yeeeeaaaahh, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...

Ah, ah, I almost forgot... I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. We, uhhh, lost some people this week and we sorta need to play catch-up. Mmmmmkay? Thaaaaaanks. 

...So, if you could do that, that would be great... We need the updates to pass the time. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/7/18 9:34 p.m.

You guys and your conclusions 

This is the highly technical tool for pulling 60 year old bent east german metal into place

The kids are sick so i’m staying home with them tomorrow.  If they’re just chilling with a game or show after breakfast i should be able to knock my inner structure and latch system out pretty quick as i have drawn it all in my head, just need to melt some metal together.  

Hinge is .90 of bolts/nuts, one $8.50 rod end, one $10 rod end, one $3.75 swedged tube, and one garbage night 48” black steel pipe.  I swear i pick up more new pipes in the garbage than anything besides bikes.  

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
11/8/18 6:55 a.m.

Obviously (for engine access) it's for a tilt front end (concourse), but I was hoping for a quick release attachment point for a cow catcher airdamb (autocross).

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/8/18 9:19 a.m.

The cheese stands alone, i mean the front clip stands alone.

while the factory inner fenders had lots of cool shapes, they were very cut up for previous clearances in a past life, plus it would be a mortal sin to cover these headers up

Also the factory firewall is beautiful behind the wheels, why cover it?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/8/18 9:25 a.m.

That’s the gorgeous factory stamping that never gets seen

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/18 8:33 a.m.

Last day of an estate sale around the corner, $5 got me a new old stock motorcraft ignition switch with key and 8 new r43ts delco plugs

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/10/18 10:36 a.m.

Are you so short of time that you can't multi task projects(DarthNader) like yur NC brother Db13??? or is it a space logistics kinda scenario at the shop.....just wonderin'

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/18 11:28 a.m.

I am self employed, I like spending time with my kids, i can only have 2 in shop at once and the chevelle is always there, and darth nader was mothballed due to no chance of being at $2018 because I needed a screaming deal on a 99-00 corvette engine harness to be plug and play.  6 months later, because Stampie is incredible, we finally got that deal.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/10/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You're going to make me blush. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/10/18 12:11 p.m.

I only multitask this well because I have two shops full of stuff  that needs to be mobile and people to support that need.

I'm trying, but we're about to slow down considerably on multitasking. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/10/18 12:35 p.m.
Patrick said:

I am self employed, I like spending time with my kids, i can only have 2 in shop at once and the chevelle is always there, and darth nader was mothballed due to no chance of being at $2018 because I needed a screaming deal on a 99-00 corvette engine harness to be plug and play.  6 months later, because Stampie is incredible, we finally got that deal.

Is there a thred on the velle here??? knew about the '54 and the SS......and yes chillrenz are way more important than inner fender headers or so they say.....I have neither wink When you go trash day diving have you been stopped by the popo wonderin what you're up to??? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

There is but all the pics are photobucked up.  I’m almost ready to get back on it for a bit.  As soon as the Wartburg is rolling again I want to put the new engine in the chevelle(454).  Will probably start a new build thread at that point because the old one is worthless.  

i was up at 7:30 this morning to babysit a redneck concrete contractor who ended up showing after i left the jobsite at 9:30, and was not listening to anyone when he was told 30 times by 3 people that the dimension changed and his footer(that i laid out for him) was not actually a foot short, we had to shrink the project for setback reasons.  

Wouldn’t trade it for someone else’s 9-5 headache, but there are some days it looks like a better option. They get to leave their problems at work at 5, mine are always there.

never been hassled by the police(for trash picking) but my buddy was told by one municipality that it was illegal there.  That’s a dumb law, scrappers/pickers are doing an environmentally responsible service for the community.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
11/10/18 3:23 p.m.
Patrick said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

never been hassled by the police(for trash picking) but my buddy was told by one municipality that it was illegal there.  That’s a dumb law, scrappers/pickers are doing an environmentally responsible service for the community.  

Reduce/Reuse/Recycle

It's basically all three at once...

...that being said, I'm not a big fan of people digging through my discarded mail.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
11/10/18 6:57 p.m.

Also the factory firewall is beautiful behind the wheels, why cover it?

That’s the gorgeous factory stamping that never gets seen

I love that only on GRM do people make statements like this, and we all sit there and think 'yes, that IS very cool!'

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/18 7:13 p.m.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/10/18 7:15 p.m.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d0XAQGT38mS2cBxlI1w2LUrFbIATEjU0x2qzoxiok0f7QVFyoO8hvlgX67OI5aV2