AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/23/18 7:35 a.m.
Patrick said:

Also of note, ordered the narrowest(and happily, cheapest at $43.xx with prime shipping even, cheaper by a couple dimes than Summit Racing) competition engineering roll bar main hoop, and a little application of ratchet strap later its perfect.  I may order another to cut up for tubes because my rear struts will be bent similarly and it’s honestly cheaper than buying 10’ of straight tube.

That is very interesting. It definitely seems cheaper than buying straight DOM tube. The only thing I'm seeing is that it looks like most of their hoops are 1.75", 0.134" wall, which is overkill for most of the cars I would be building. For the cost though, that is still tempting. Have you used hoops from these guys before?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/23/18 12:27 p.m.

They are a drag racing supplier hence the 1.75”.  Most hoops have dimensions on Summit Racing website under the q&a.  I used their 8 point bar in my camaro way back in the day and have been ordering various hoops from them over the years based on dimensions and not application.  

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
11/23/18 2:16 p.m.

What hoop did you end up getting and at what dimensions? Lookin for a challenge friendly option and this may do the trick.

Edit: Nevermind, I see the dimensions on Summit that you mentioned now.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/23/18 2:34 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

If you don’t see dimensions listed use the ask a question button and competition engineering rep will reply with them pretty quick

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/24/18 5:52 p.m.

Every time i go out there and the rears aren’t sticking out past the car a million inches i get all tingly inside

also side project!  Picked this up from a grmer’s grandpa yesterday.  I’ve already stripped the amc trans and 32 gallon giant fuel tank off it, and have a smaller fuel cell, some used gauges, and will rewire it and add a throttle lever and set it up with a chevy bellhousing and mounts.  Bonus, i’ll be able to run the engine for the Wartburg and do all the fun stuff like setting timing, baseline carb, adjust valves while i’m working on the rest of the car.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/24/18 5:54 p.m.

That stand is awesome. Im jealous. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/24/18 7:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That stand is awesome. Im jealous. 

Yes, except I really need a bigger garage.  I’m taking 8 wheels/tires across the street to live in the trailer with the Datsun to make room for it and i will be liquidating my big commercial upholstery cleaning machine and my generator here shortly(may just make a generator mount on tongue of the trailer).  Need to move a gm transfer case along as well as some other stuff too.  Also contemplating selling my ancient atlas belt/disc sander with rolling cart in favor of a more compact benchtop one.  Chop saw cart definitely on the chopping block too in favor of floorspace.  

I’m really thinking about, if everything stays okay, seeing if i can get a permit to add on and at least getting my posts and frame/roof up so i can work as time allows, then pour the floor when i can afford the cement.  At least then i can keep things inside.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/30/18 7:26 p.m.

bump i'm bored in an extended stay in B'Ham Al......humor me.......

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/13/18 5:35 p.m.

Tonight I found out just how happy spending money makes me, because this little guy($54 with ebay 10% off last week) is perfect 

Because it totally makes room for this

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
12/13/18 7:09 p.m.

Cozy.......how many gallons does that hold......five passes worth??wink

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/13/18 8:54 p.m.

Forgot to mention my heads visited indiana and Kentucky too, only to be united with their new intake manifold in Cincinnati at eastside tim’s house before heading back home

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
12/14/18 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Curious to see how you implement that fuel tank. I have one identical to that, though I over paid... They are nice and compact. I thought about cutting a hole in the top to do a drop in fuel pump, but I don't know enough to know the best way to do something like that or if the sump setup that  is there is good enough. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/14/18 8:25 a.m.

I'm betting this car is going to be a hood/trunk/doors open kind of concourse car. Very cool. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/14/18 9:54 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Patrick :

Curious to see how you implement that fuel tank. I have one identical to that, though I over paid... They are nice and compact. I thought about cutting a hole in the top to do a drop in fuel pump, but I don't know enough to know the best way to do something like that or if the sump setup that  is there is good enough. 

I have the same one but 10 gallon in the datsun.  The sump is sufficient to keep my efi pump fed during autocross with 4 gallons in it.  Sumped tanks have historically been drag stuff because, obviously, on launch it makes sure your fuel line(s) are never uncovered.  I use them in everything.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/15/18 12:14 p.m.

While i’m laying here with a jacked up back.

huge thanks to:

Stampie.  I found a vortec carbed intake on Jacksonville Craigslist for $80 new just bolted on, with water neck and fittings and everything for $80.  He jumped on it for me and got it for $70.  It’s even polished so it’s going to look fancy with the chrome booster and polished headers.  I’m hoping to budget a fancy oil pan for the engine because the $25 th400 came with a chrome pan.  Hello mirrors under the car for the concours judging 

Eastside Tim.  Was going to Florida for thanksgiving, hooked up with Stampie and got the intake back to Ohio for me to pick up last weekend.  Tim wasn’t home but Mrs Tim was, and she’s super cool.  Also for selling me some wheel spacers for $20 a pair that should get us to 1:1 track to height for the stability rule.  And for living so close to Jungle Jim’s, where I immediately dropped $200 on groceries when I left his house.  Also noted that Tim sold me the NOS Sniper system for $100(lucky timing on replying first to his post).  

I’m almost ready to pull the driveline back out so the body can come off for the last time.  I’m just waiting for a day that I actually feel like laying on the floor to pull the transmission crossmember bolts.  

As soon as the engine is out i can use it to make mounts for the test stand then tear it down to clean/paint/build.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/15/18 11:59 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I saw a Henry J gasser driving down the street today, on slicks + Halibrands, and it made me think of the Wartburg. Can’t wait to see it!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/19/18 3:01 p.m.

In my never ending experience with mild gen1 small blocks that make good power with small cams and love 150 shots of nitrous, this is, they say, where the magic happens.

$190(maybe 170 i have to check my receipt) worth of Vortec heads and intake

We’re slightly stalled because my back has been dead from taking on too big a job and pushing through pain to get it done, plus the holidays and whatnot and working on freeing the top secret mystery car from the garage it’s been in for 20+ years.  Heading up shortly to get the first batch of parts.

Plan next step is to get the test stand set up for chevy mounts and wire/plumb it up so I can effectively use it as a build stand for the 350.  My engine stands are both in use and someone stole my engine storage cradle.  I’ll probably buy another one of those so i can get a stand clear to do the cleaning and painting.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/20/18 2:55 p.m.

Merry Christmas to me

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/30/18 2:39 p.m.

Time for the side piece.  Um.  Side project.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/30/18 2:57 p.m.

Now back to the car

Front end less hood feels about 55-60 pounds and I haven’t pruned it down to the minimum yet.  I can easily see another 3 pounds going away before it mates to the hood. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/30/18 4:29 p.m.

Mounted.  Have to make a bellhousing bracket but need to replace the fan in my welder first.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
12/30/18 5:03 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You haven't gotten your intake yet?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/30/18 6:11 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Patrick :

You haven't gotten your intake yet?

There’s a picture of it about 5 posts up.  I haven’t torn the engine apart yet.  That’s coming very shortly, got a case of chevy orange paint on clearance at Home Depot.  

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
12/30/18 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yeah I see that now.  Don't know how I missed that.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/30/18 8:30 p.m.

Forgot to put this one up before i quit to make dinner and be dad when the kids got home from shopping. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjLXajCBWfPKRxtj4kD3U1IEQFfgWcfO8qfUEcrubmzoPrFr1YsZHDQq6QERg4w9