Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/4/19 6:21 p.m.

E36 M3 was tight on the way in 

Watched a youtube video, set up a chunk of scrap, make some test cuts.  I got this.  

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/4/19 7:42 p.m.
Patrick said:

Temporary home, now to learn how to use it 

Ordered new traverse gear for 35.44 shipped so i’m in it for $355.44

i chucked something up in it and spun it and didn’t die, so I have that going for me 

Patrick this will be quick.......is the end on the left  the portion that is cracked??   just trying to follow along with absolutely no familiarity with this.....

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/4/19 7:50 p.m.
Patrick said:Watched a youtube video, set up a chunk of scrap, make some test cuts.  I got this.  

Well heck, you're an expert now!  wink

I know that there's a whole lot of shimming and adjusting that will need to be done in order to get perfectly parallel and straight cuts if you're interested in turning a long cylinder to a given size or whatever, but for your... immediate goals, you should be fine.

Heck, I had a thought today.  For what you need to do, I could probably do on the brake lathe at work (the Industry Standard AMMCO unit) if one had enough patience, and probably some old drill bits to fangle into custom shaped tooling.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/4/19 9:50 p.m.
759NRNG said:
Patrick said:

Temporary home, now to learn how to use it 

Ordered new traverse gear for 35.44 shipped so i’m in it for $355.44

i chucked something up in it and spun it and didn’t die, so I have that going for me 

Patrick this will be quick.......is the end on the left  the portion that is cracked??   just trying to follow along with absolutely no familiarity with this.....

If you zoom in at the self feed screw across the front of the bed, just to the right of the big gear and pulley covers below the chuck you can see silver gears, what’s left anyway, and there is a small box there for reversing the feed screw deal so you can cut threads to make bolts and stuff.  Immediate needs dictate this is of no concern, but will likely keep the search for those parts saved just so that i can make it whole again one day.  

Tonight we went to see mazdeuce, spacecadet and sleepyhead and also got to meet this guy

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/8/19 3:43 p.m.

Non melty pistons and mag wheel lugnuts ordered.  Have been trying to get to summit racing for a week for the pistons, but I haven’t had time so i just bundled them with lugnuts for free shipping.  Their handling fee is waived over $99, even before that it’s cheaper than going to pick stuff up but then i can’t look at the clearance rack.  Knowing summit they will be here tomorrow, at which point i can see if my uncle’s shop has a rod oven i can come use after hours or if i have to pay a machine shop. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/9/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Forgive my naivety to engine building, but what is the rod oven for?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 10:40 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

In reply to Patrick :

Forgive my naivety to engine building, but what is the rod oven for?

On rod/piston combos with a press fit pin the wrist pin is interference fit to the rod bore and floats in the piston.  So you have to put the small end of the rod in an oven for x time then quickly line it up in the piston and slide the pin in and the rod shrinks back around it.  I have heard of people using a mapp gas torch and a homemade jig to do this but it’s not controlled like a rod oven.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
5/9/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Ok, that makes sense!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 6:07 p.m.

Indirectly related to the car, this guy showed up today 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 6:25 p.m.

Old out 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/9/19 6:29 p.m.

Is it just me, or are the gear teeth different shapes?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 6:32 p.m.

Oh it’s so smooth now, almost ready to make the part that you guys probably won’t see until October 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 6:32 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Think the old ones are just whooped.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/9/19 6:49 p.m.
Patrick said:

Oh it’s so smooth now, almost ready to make the part that you guys probably won’t see until October 

Am I allowed to guess? Or would it ruin the surprise if I guess it right?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/9/19 7:02 p.m.

No guessing allowed.  I’ll throw your free intake in the fire and send you video ala michael and the lowball lawn tractor guy

don’t worry though there is plenty that you won’t see until unveiling.  I really wanted to jump on the 57, but I need to get this car to Florida.  

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/9/19 8:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The one on the right has 12 teeth, and the one on the left has 10-1/2 teeth.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/9/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I think it would be worth it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/10/19 8:11 p.m.

New pistons:

Not chinese - CHECK

No Lightning bolt - CHECK

yep, they’ll hold a 150 shot

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
5/11/19 5:32 p.m.

"No lightning bolt"?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/11/19 7:42 p.m.
Knurled. said:

"No lightning bolt"?

Joke from the hungary bill toyota engine saga. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-old-truck-1987-toyota-4x4/101411/page3/

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/23/19 9:22 a.m.

So I registered.  And i’ve got a pretty severe back injury.

anyone down to help when i’m mobile again?  When i’m mobile again (literally day 3 in bed) I need to get the firewall finish welded and make the last 2 body mounts, then fit cage hoop to body to know where to drill floor.  Once those are complete I am going to need help taking the body off, disassemble suspension, finish weld/gusset chassis, rebuild front axle, paint everything and put it all back together then finish installing and lining up body panels. If datsanity can get the crew it had assembled, we should be able to do the same.  This weekend was supposed to be a get all kinds of stuff done weekend, but i’m barely able to walk short distances at this point.  

If we could plumb it all the better.  I have nicopp brake lines, aluminum fuel lines, fittings, mastercool flare tool.  

I have the tools and technology, I just need more hands, and a less E36 M3ty back.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/23/19 9:37 a.m.

Hope the back feels better soon. I can relate, I had a back problem keep me laid up for several months a year and a half ago. Still working through the aftermath of that.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
5/23/19 9:41 a.m.

If you have a weekend work session sometime this summer, I’m interested.  Helping with Datsanity was fun.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/23/19 10:19 a.m.

I just ordered front brakes, because what else can i do right now?  Buy stuff since I can’t work.

Once I heal, I’ll figure out when we can do this.   

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/23/19 11:02 a.m.

As a fellow back pain sufferer, I know the feeling of frustration that you can't even put on your own socks because your back is flaring up.  This usually pushes me to fight thru the pain and causes the issue to get worse.  Don't be me, a day of rest can save you days of pain in the end.  As always, it's easier to give that advice than to follow it.

I'm currently free most of the weekend and I'm always down for coming and giving you a second (or first) set of hands.  I'm definitely down for scheduling a thrash day this summer, there's got to be enough people around that want to say they helped work on this thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WyYmbjTu0c12h6oNjca3nq4HbPU2YTMP3uuaVoDNhrDnD0Dn2ZMSonFDoCJA506c