Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/4/19 8:38 p.m.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/4/19 10:27 p.m.

Welder ran out of gas at 11, almost done.  Going to airgas in the morning for a refill then hitting freight by the harbor to try their flap discs because i’m out.  

Lots of boxing, closing ends, fishplates, etc

also remade the trans crossmember because i was disgusted by it.  

I love the challenge, but I’m really sick of working with garbage and scrap.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/5/19 9:01 a.m.

Going to airgas, hf, derpot, gfs, then back to work.  Trying to get done by 5-6pm so i can go meet the lemons rally crew in Akron for dinner.  Apparently the lemons people just knew the Wartburg fell off the radar when Jim sold it the first time, and EastSide tim’s wife gave them some information on who has it/what’s happening and according to Lori they are excited about it.  

I’m not cleaning anything else up in my yard, sorry not sorry.  House wise i’m ready minus wiping down the kitchen, some dishes, and making some food.  I think a watermelon is in order for refreshing healthy snacks tomorrow 

wanted to start earlier but couldn’t fall asleep last night.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/5/19 5:31 p.m.

Shhhhhh

I have not and will not get the axles painted so there’s more to do tomorrow.  Rear can’t be painted until the shock brackets are trimmed to not look like trailer spring perches and the caliper brackets are welded on.  I’m going to summit racing in a little bit for longer front wheel studs so we can do those while the spindles are off.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/5/19 5:44 p.m.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/5/19 6:40 p.m.

It hurts my brain that this is challenge eligible. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/5/19 6:58 p.m.
Patrick said:I’m going to summit racing in a little bit for longer front wheel studs so we can do those while the spindles are off.  

You probably just missed me.

Did you see the '67-69 Mustang lifted 4x4 thing in the parking lot?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/5/19 7:21 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Patrick said:I’m going to summit racing in a little bit for longer front wheel studs so we can do those while the spindles are off.  

You probably just missed me.

Did you see the '67-69 Mustang lifted 4x4 thing in the parking lot?

I’m in line right now so probably not.  No mustang abomination here.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/5/19 7:23 p.m.
Mndsm said:

It’s 95% labor.  There’s a good chance that i’ll have 1000 hours in this car

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/5/19 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Ah, I keep forgetting that the timestamps on GRM posts are Central.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/5/19 7:55 p.m.

WOW! Nothing motivates and ensures progress like a hard deadline. You've gotten an astounding amount of work done in these last few weeks.  How's your back doing? (Better I presume by all the activity)   See you in a few hours....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 8:50 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

WOW! Nothing motivates and ensures progress like a hard deadline. You've gotten an astounding amount of work done in these last few weeks.  How's your back doing? (Better I presume by all the activity)   See you in a few hours....

I decided to do a “build party” for several reasons.

1: deadlines do indeed make me kick ass and do things i put off

2: i like you guys

3: i have done nothing fun car related all summer.  No track, no shows, not even driving for fun.  I need that to spark things again. 

Completely accidentally, it just happens to be happening at a very trying time after some very horrible things have happened, so unintentional number 4: my mental health needs this

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 7:15 p.m.

Indy guy will probably dump pictures tomorrow, i’m home alone again

thanks to john brian pete evan andrew and jonah we have a roller again.  

It took a long time but it’s going back together. I’m closing up the garage and taking a shower.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/6/19 7:29 p.m.

Damn, just got back home and was about to head back over and check on you guys, you guys knocked out alot of work!  Bummed I had to leave, this thing is at a really fun point with everything going back together.

Hitting it again tomorrow morning?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

If you want to head over for a bit tomorrow morning we can probably get the engine and trans in relatively quickly.  Pete left a little after 8, i just closed up shop and am going to shower, i feel gross

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/6/19 7:54 p.m.

I still zoom in every time to look at the details on the firewall. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/6/19 8:04 p.m.
Mndsm said:

It's amazing what a little cup-brush and paint action can do to make artfully repurposed scrap look good.

Pat - I got about 50 yards up the street from your house when I decided to head to the garage and get the Volvo out.  At least its scary noises don't actually make the seatbelt and everything else resonate.  And I have 24 hour roadside assistance with the Volvo.  And it has air conditioning.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/6/19 8:04 p.m.

Sounds good, let me know when you're up and about and I'll head over.

Guess I'll go clean up the flooded basement.  Either that or throw the thermostat in the hearse.  I know what sounds like more fun...

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/6/19 8:08 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Mndsm said:

It's amazing what a little cup-brush and paint action can do to make artfully repurposed scrap look good.

I want to see the front axle in person, it looks so much better than this morning.  It was crusty.  And the front springs were in the dish rack in the kitchen.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Pretty sure i heard you until you were a mile away

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/6/19 11:52 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Mndsm said:

Pat - I got about 50 yards up the street from your house when I decided to head to the garage and get the Volvo out.  At least its scary noises don't actually make the seatbelt and everything else resonate.  And I have 24 hour roadside assistance with the Volvo.  And it has air conditioning.

Now that I've seen this in person, I can verify that Patrick really is building this car from mostly scrap and trash.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/7/19 12:01 a.m.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/7/19 7:34 a.m.

It was the first time I’ve ever scrubbed algae and mud off shocks with a toothbrush and pb blaster

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/7/19 7:55 a.m.

One person's trash is another person's...Wartburg...as the saying goes (sorta)

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/7/19 8:06 a.m.

What structure did you suspend the body from? I may have to do the same.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YCWoleL2hN0kHQSV4H7ysGOMMzsNr47XueaZ7FbwZbFXNlrR7PJhJH7jRDdy3hL