eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/25/19 4:44 p.m.

You made a fiberglass trunklid?!  How much less does it weigh?  Did you make a mold from the original?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/25/19 5:12 p.m.

Jim did, he pulled a mold off the original.  I have a fiberglass hood too, but he was teaching someone how to do fiberglass on that one so their edges are really crooked.  

It’s probably 10% of the weight of the original.  I can save the hood but not in the amount of time left.  

I have made fiberglass parts before, it’s not terribly hard.  I have some carbon fiber to experiment with at some point 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
8/25/19 6:02 p.m.

Wickedawesome!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/25/19 8:19 p.m.

Will be really interested to see how you handle the headlight surrounds. This is looking great. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/25/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I sure hope the factory trim rings are in one of the boxes.  I honestly haven’t even gone through everything yet.  The car came with so much stuff it was overwhelming.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/28/19 10:04 a.m.

My cousin Joe came home from Japan a few weeks ago, and is leaving again Tuesday for a graduate program in Denver, so instead of prepping jambs and making my booth and shooting primer yesterday, I invited him over and we played video games and had tacos and had a good time since I won’t see him again until Christmas.

Alas, family time wins and I will not have the car in color before we leave for Michigan tomorrow morning.  However,

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
8/28/19 10:51 a.m.

You should go back to glove modeling.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/28/19 11:19 a.m.

You two are adorable. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/28/19 4:20 p.m.

We may have to have a general assembly/wiring/plumbing day with volunteers in a few weeks.  I’m keeping track because everyone who has spun a wrench is going in the build book.  

i just finished prepping the jambs, but i have to build a makeshift booth before i can shoot anything.  Car is ready to mask and wipe down. 

We’re leaving tomorrow and coming back Tuesday so i am losing 3 full days and 3 evenings then will have 3 long work days next week, so it’s likely I won’t even see the car for 10 days.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
8/28/19 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'll try to make it for more than an hour this time.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/28/19 8:49 p.m.

This is where i leave it.  I have it ready to mask, wipe, and spray.  I was going to pull a late night and just do it, but i’m tired.  I have slept poorly the last few nights and it’s caught up to me

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/5/19 8:51 p.m.

Status: way behind berkeleying schedule and have more E36 M3 on my plate than i can handle alone.  Who’s down for a build party to give a final push(assembly, plumbing, wiring, glass, weatherstripping, finish roll bar, replace some wear items, align steering, make it run kinda stuff)?  I hate asking for help but I’m buried alive right now

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/5/19 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Schedule it, and I'll see if I can make it. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
9/6/19 8:10 a.m.

I'm not sure I can, but I'll try.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
9/6/19 9:53 a.m.

I wish I lived closer to you as I'd do my best to lend a hand. And also probably still come home with $200 worth of q45 parts that I don't need. 

Torkel
Torkel Reader
9/6/19 10:33 a.m.

Come on now Patrick: Failure to complete is not an option here. Keep focus on what is important in life; Personal health and relationships can always be mended later.

To optimize your usage of available hours, may I suggest...

#Badinfluence #Iwanttoseethisfinished #Mostawesomebuildever

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/6/19 10:36 a.m.

I may have to try to make it up there to help, since I had to skip last time.  When it’s scheduled, I’ll see what I can do.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/19 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Torkel :

Currently burning candle at both ends.  Other house has small laundry list of stuff to do before we can close, i am mid complete gut/remodel on a customers kitchen, family, etc.  going to the other house tomorrow to try and wrap everything up then hopefully get to catch up with Gimp on his way home from nationals, then continue masking.  I may go to HF for one of the big fans, or i may just hope my little box fan is enough.  The 24” big boy fan might suck the plastic in towards the car.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/7/19 7:49 a.m.

I’ll try to be available also, want to see this done!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/7/19 8:12 p.m.

So close.  One door opening and then skirting to the floor from the rockers left for masking, then mist the floor, wipe the car down, and make some fumes. 

By the last door i had the hang of it 

Door handles don’t come off easy, so

Executive decision has been made to do the jambs in the same rustoleum hammered silver that the floor and firewall are, because they’re rough and jambs always get beat up on racecars.  

Also i have not cut the grass since the 2nd week of july. 

twentyover
twentyover Dork
9/7/19 8:53 p.m.
Patrick said:

Also i have not cut the grass since the 2nd week of july. 

hoping for crop circles?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/8/19 7:24 a.m.

Exciting news, a package is on the way from Victor at wartburgusa.com with new taillight lenses and a 12v wiper motor that he brought back from Germany, as part of our trade of original engine/trans/bits to him for weatherstripping for me.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/8/19 3:04 p.m.

I am primer man, na nuh na nuh na nuh nuh nuh na na

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/8/19 3:20 p.m.

What's special about the oilive drab primer?  I first saw it in use a couple years ago and now it's everywhere.

Granted, I use it too, but that's mostly because everyone else is.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/8/19 3:31 p.m.

Not sure, i buy a kit that is 50/50 mixed so a 1 gallon can nets 2 gallons thinned nets priming a challenge car for around $10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r5Phu8dMpn4HLBYfSb0FOTbNzxYB92H8I11IbkSqC04ntoEBOxKkMBjR8S8ShXRh