Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/10/23 5:35 p.m.

Hopefully fixed transmission leak today. Also stole the speedo cable out of the el camino. The square cable fits the original speedo but in the elky it clips on and the Wartburg is a screw on. Solution:

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/4/23 8:21 a.m.

Transmission leak fixed. Speedo cable installed, doing nothing. I believe maybe the drive gear isn't in the transmission as the speedo cable drive piece wasn't in there either, so probably got swapped to the new transmission for the person mine came from. That's a job for another time. Not pulling the driveshaft again until I need to. Kph speedo that probably needs playing with gears to be remotely correct is not a priority. 

2nd test drive was short and I made it home, therefore I have deemed it worthy of a parking spot off the lift, and gave it a bath.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/4/23 9:59 a.m.

So exciting!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/7/23 4:26 p.m.

We legal 

the entirety of the BMV staff and half the customers lost their E36 M3 collectively

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/8/23 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I would be curious if the BMV could verify if there are currently or if there ever have been another Wartburg registered in Ohio?

Historic plates?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/8/23 8:13 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I seem to recall an Ohio-titled Wartburg wagon being for sale several years ago, but I have no idea if it was ever registered.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/8/23 8:27 a.m.

There was one in the Cincinnati area a while back - the one Tim is referring to. It's plausible it could have been titled in KY or IN in that area. Last time I heard of that one it was on CL in Indianapolis. They did not have Wartburg in the pull down menu for manufacturers on the title bureau computer and had to enter it manually, which was a new thing for them.

Absolutely historical tags, $35 for life.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/8/23 10:56 a.m.

I'm all about historic (or in PA, antique) tags. One time registration, no inspections. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/8/23 3:41 p.m.

Hagerty finally got some business from me. They were out of line on the Skyline, but so very cheap on the Wartburg. I even added the cherished salvage option. $0 deductible including glass(laughs maniacally in 65 year old East German curved windshield). Very happy, and glad to finally be insured. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/23 3:57 p.m.

ELEVENS

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/8/23 7:29 p.m.

Congrats.....Cars and Coffee....check   Dragway42 'Import Face OFF' this Sunday? cheeky

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/8/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I mean... technically?

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/8/23 8:35 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

I mean... technically?

It's an import no? please feel free to expound.......

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/8/23 10:21 p.m.

Nah slowbird coming over Saturday so we can pound the quarter panel out enough on her crown vic to get a bumper put on decent enough to pass PA inspection 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/9/23 6:02 p.m.

FYI Cars & Coffee in Medina square is next weekend if you want to put the head explody on everyone...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/23 1:37 p.m.

transmission is not terribly healthy. The 2nd gear clutches are very weak, but that's a job for winter. Everything else about it feels fine, so I'll get the basic rebuild kit and only go as deep as necessary. I have another one on the shelf but it's also an unknown. Till then I'll putz around town and keep working out the bugs, if there are any beyond not wanting to spend the money for the window channel to keep the glass from rattling. Have some good whine coming from the diff under load too, which is badass because I bought the one in it now as a supposedly good assembled unit. 

it goes down the road straight, everything feels tight, stops great, turns all the heads, didn't get over 200*, and is only halfway miserably loud.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/18/23 1:45 p.m.

So THAT's why he wanted the trans changed smiley

Totally awesome.

I think there is some serious voodoo in setting up a 9", I dunno.  Dozens of Chevy 10 and 12 bolt. Ford 8.8, Mazda 7", no problem.  Can't make a 9" quiet to save my life.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/18/23 3:47 p.m.

Is it a TH350?

Follow the guide at Crankshaft Coalition

Replace all the suspect bushings, these transmissions eat bushings. Double up the sun gear bushings.  Use the wide direct drum bushing. Machine down the direct piston and add another steel and friction. Dual-feed internally (fixes a weakness).  I added a scraped 2nd friction as a spacer to tighten up the 2nd gear clutches, but wasn't totally happy with how it shifted afterward. Get the hardened Intermediate Race (fixes a weakness.)  This was my most recent go at a TH350: Fixing the TH350 Hippy-Shake-Shake - YouTube

When is the smoke show??

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/2/23 6:20 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
7/2/23 9:38 p.m.

How loud is this bitch??? like BRAP in yur face loud?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/4/23 2:24 p.m.

loud enough I made the kids wear hearing protection 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/4/23 3:45 p.m.

Didn't seem that loud from the outside, you can barely hear it over the sound of all the necks breaking and people asking WTF it is.

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/4/23 4:49 p.m.

Bummed that I missed seeing it out in public today, I can only imagine the amount of head explody going on at the show!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/4/23 4:56 p.m.

Dude I know what it is and it still makes my head explode.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/4/23 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That wasn't the rear I gave you, was it?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gJ9cAGKanHUYQBebkk0PE0WXZZE1ytMLGMmvnI3eUK3YH14WKJWzjdI1PyrHQ413