1 2
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/13/19 9:22 p.m.

Well last year I did way too much work and didn't have enough fun.  I'm sure some of you caught that from my posts.  The icing on the cake was getting text updates from Tom on the 2K challenge progress while working in Saudi again.  I've decided that I need to do things I enjoy more, take all of my PTO time and let my bosses figure out how to get things done when I am not there.  If they can't then it might be time to re-evaluate work.  I also have a trademark pending that might solve the money side of things if I'm lucky.

Anyway I saw Radwood was next years class.  What's that?  Oh it's the cars I loved when I was in high school and in college!  I graduated in 94.

Well when I was in the Navy I used to do some autoX and drag racing in the Seattle / Bremerton area.  I used to see lots of fast DSMs (ran easy 12s which was wicked fast back in those days).  Then I found out these cars are now challenge priced via another build thread here.  Well that got me looking, and I found this guy on Facebook.  Since I don't social media, my wife contacted the seller and he texted.  I'm leaving town Friday morning and will acquire it early Saturday.  I won't reveal all of the good, but the current diagnosis is blown head gasket.  It's a 92 Laser RS AWD with Eclipse front end and Talon sideskirts.  I will post more photos soon and start revealing the goodies.  I'm only going to drive it onto and off the trailer until the major issue is fixed and corrected (water in oil side).   After that's fixed it will be time to get it running reliably, registered, and then start using it at the track and autoX in order to figure out what to do next. 

Reservations for the trip and U haul trailer are already made and cash has been taken out of the bank.  I'm looking forward to getting on the road in less than 36 hours. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/13/19 9:54 p.m.

Hmmm, the mashup of different bodywork actually looks kinda nice.

Are those Mustang wheels? They look familiar.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/13/19 9:59 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Yes I think so too.  They look like the 96-98 GT 17x8s to me.  Yes the PO (still current for two more days) mixed the body work as he has owned multiple DSMs over the years.  He took what he liked about each one and viola. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/13/19 9:59 p.m.

Wish my Challenge DSM looked as good as yours. Looks like your going to make me work to be the fastest DSM at the Challenge.

gumby
gumby Reader
11/13/19 10:11 p.m.

Those Mustang wheels are 99-04 GT. 17x8 +30mm

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/14/19 11:24 a.m.
untchabl said:

Wish my Challenge DSM looked as good as yours. Looks like your going to make me work to be the fastest DSM at the Challenge.

My challenge is to get the car running at it's potential in budget and address some cosmetic things then lake it handle better.   The hard parts to go fast are there, but engine topend health is a concern.  The shortblock has been rebuilt so it should be okay.  I'm hoping to have good shocks and get an adjustable rear sway bar and front camber plates or bolts within budget.  

java230
java230 UberDork
11/14/19 11:30 a.m.

Following along :D

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/15/19 9:56 p.m.

One GRM quote I will always remember....  nothing looks as good as a new project car on a trailer at night.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/15/19 10:50 p.m.

Gorgeous 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
11/16/19 6:00 a.m.

Yes! 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/16/19 7:38 a.m.

Okay now that I own the car it's safe to start trickling kitties out of the sack.  This is a very built DSM.  It has white smoke out exhaust believed to be possibly headgasket.  It was rebuilt assembled and never finished.  I need to diagnose, repair, finish and tune this potential monster.  

Also this car was painted about five years ago and the white is in great shape.  The roof though is losing clear on the black.

Lookie at this photo, what do we have there.....

So my task is to get fix smoke (oil or water) get wiring diagrams and finish wiring and tune, tidy up interior, and start testing this car at the track.  

One big takeaway from following more closely the past year is your car needs to be fast before the challenge....  this car should be Paul Walker DSM F&F fast....  if I can learn enough in 11 months.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/17/19 1:33 p.m.

Just got car off trailer and in driveway.  Milkshake in crankcase is confirmed.  Bad head gasket or cracked head likely.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
11/17/19 5:37 p.m.

I'd doubt a cracked head. Doesn't seem like a common problem with the 4g63. Head gaskets are very common failure on them. 

Add head studs if not already present. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/17/19 7:21 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

I'd doubt a cracked head. Doesn't seem like a common problem with the 4g63. Head gaskets are very common failure on them. 

Add head studs if not already present. 

I'm really going to need your guidance tuning this thing.  I have a full gasket set and room to order head studs in the budget.  I will check the head once apart.  The bottom end was rebuilt so I'm suspecting a bad head gasket installation really.  The car hasn't been on the road since the rebuild.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/25/19 11:15 p.m.

These arrived today, and I'm going to need them.

Head to come off and go back on by Christmas to check replace head gasket.  Probably should order ARP studs as insurance.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/30/19 4:57 p.m.

Okay now that the car is home, Thanksgiving is over, travelers have gone home, and the rain has stopped for a detailed inventory and photos, lets let the kitty out of the bag.

The highlights:

1G DSM AWD starts and moves under its own power but has water getting into oil.  

Turbonetics cast iron manifold, Turbonetics ball bearing T3/T4

Big injectors, AEM fuel rail, walbro 255, and DSM Link installed!

Full 3" exhaust

Car painted 5 or so years ago and built but has sat unused.

Car has 4 bolt rear end and aftermarket springs and a lot of poly engine mounts and 99 front brakes.

Shortblock was rebuilt before paint and is essentially new.  

Big front mount intercooler, aluminum rad, aftermarket blowoff and bypass valves.  Blowoff valve dinged hood first time it was closed.

I'm still trying to figure out what wideband O2 is installed.  

The spares:  ECUs, 3 sets of injectors (550s), tons of vacuum hose, aluminum intake and intercooler piping, full gasket set, BOV springs, lots of turbo v bamd clamps, oil feed and return lines amd fittings, electric oil pressure gauge (mechanical currently installed), full rear poly bushings, cam angle sensors, throttle body, TPS, silicone couplers and barious odds and ends.

Total $1750!

Has new Federal RSRR tires got receipt for $250.  

Generic ebay T3/T4 turbo and ebay turbo manifold on receipt for $200.  

Total on the trailer price $2200.  

My handwriting is crap so I'm gonna send a nice typed one for the PO to sign when I send the TX title form.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/30/19 5:02 p.m.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/30/19 5:02 p.m.

The challenge now is to fix the water oil mix (head gasket) and get it tuned and driving.  

The Grant steering wheel is the most RADWOOD thing ever.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/30/19 6:13 p.m.

Super jealous, you got a much better deal on your DSM then I did on mine. I'll definitely be following the build.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
11/30/19 6:24 p.m.

I will second untchabl comment.

My 98 basic RS Eclipse (with blown head gasket) was free and I think you got a better deal

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
11/30/19 7:04 p.m.

Radical deal. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/30/19 9:23 p.m.

It should be a great deal if the head is healthy.  The opposite end of that coin assumes I can make it look nice and TUNE it.  I'm a bit worried on that front too, but I do have some Ford tuning and Ford turbo wrench time.

I told my wife before purchase I thought this car could have a real chance at a top 5 finish.  It should run 12s, the handling is the big concern, and its way ahead in looks compared to how many challenge cars start.  

I will be calling on the hive to help along the way.  I know it needs full drivetrain fluids too and then I'm worried about clutch, trans, etc.  I think I have some room to work if I trade, sell and purchase wisely.  

I've basically told my work, I'm going and I don't plan to change vacation anymore to accomodate them.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/2/19 10:36 a.m.

My wife vetoed my ideas of "Tuna, no crust racing" (as vague) and "domestic rice racing" (potentially offensive), and channeled her French Cajun.  Her suggestion "dirty rice racing.". I guess I know what to make and serve at the cookout.  Maybe we can bribe the concourse judges with real Cajun moonshine.  Now how do I get them to drink it before scoring my whip?  

I still think this car demands a Tuna, no crust sticker and maybe a remember the buster one too.....

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/2/19 2:17 p.m.

That is a stellar deal!  This really does seem to be the year of the DSM challenge.

Looks like you've got it nearly covered in the engine department, hopefully there is a decent clutch in it.

On the handling front the formula is pretty simple for 1G DSMs as there is not a lot you can do within the factory design. 

Look into these points:

-Rear active toe elimination - can do this GRM cheap if you have a good machinist or access to a big boy lathe.  1G DSMs push hard without addressing this.

-Evo 8/9 OEM springs and shocks - cheap take offs and can be made to fit fairly easily and are a great upgrade.

-More budget: Koni sport shocks and coilover sleeves with camber plates (I do have a set of new Koni struts in the 1G strut housing with old school "DSS" coilover sleeves, and RRE camber plates.  Shoot me a message if interested)

-Larger rear sway bar

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
12/5/19 9:16 a.m.
engiekev said:

That is a stellar deal!  This really does seem to be the year of the DSM challenge.

Looks like you've got it nearly covered in the engine department, hopefully there is a decent clutch in it.

On the handling front the formula is pretty simple for 1G DSMs as there is not a lot you can do within the factory design. 

Look into these points:

-Rear active toe elimination - can do this GRM cheap if you have a good machinist or access to a big boy lathe.  1G DSMs push hard without addressing this.

-Evo 8/9 OEM springs and shocks - cheap take offs and can be made to fit fairly easily and are a great upgrade.

-More budget: Koni sport shocks and coilover sleeves with camber plates (I do have a set of new Koni struts in the 1G strut housing with old school "DSS" coilover sleeves, and RRE camber plates.  Shoot me a message if interested)

-Larger rear sway bar

Thanks for the tips.  I've been researching the rear active toe.  This design is almost as compromised as the Fox Mustang quadrabind.  I can already see that for autoX predictability the active toe needs to go.  Volk and Jay racing sell bushing / heim joint kits but that's $200, which is not budget friendly.  I've read there are DIY ways, but haven't found any good explanation or photos, yet.  I read there is an article on vfaq, but could not find that either.  Any guidance on this issue would be very helpful.  

I'd love to go Koni but I need to get the car running right and active toe elimination under control first.

I also found out car already has ARP studs.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
LYUT4skOcyNQsBNbP39hGPqxTj87Ty9WDSzmlURscA3hvh7cRTd6u9QJghdPabYC