5 6 7 8 9
tperkins
tperkins Reader
11/8/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to automotiveflux :

Sure is, I think every additional step you take could deter would-be thieves and making it just a little more inconvenient is good, but someone keen enough will always get them haha. 

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
11/8/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

It's better then nothing, leaves more time for the cameras to catch them

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/8/22 3:18 p.m.

Love this thread. Learned a lot. Mine is not as cool as yours, and I am not a Mitsu head (hoping to change that). But I made my first step

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/worst-car-buying-experience-long-read-sedan-content-thanks-scottyb-javelin-bmw88rider/218147/page1/

tperkins
tperkins Reader
11/8/22 4:43 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Love this thread. Learned a lot. Mine is not as cool as yours, and I am not a Mitsu head (hoping to change that). But I made my first step

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/worst-car-buying-experience-long-read-sedan-content-thanks-scottyb-javelin-bmw88rider/218147/page1/

Thanks! I was just looking at your thread, very nice. Hopefully you went back to page one where I had most of the actual work. Since making the thread I basically just pick away at things but all the cars are more or less finished. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/5/22 11:27 a.m.

Ya boy works fast, and loses sleep at night when there are things to do to the car. 

Reached out to a few body shops I trust, said "Hey can you get me a quote", one says "we can get it in for you this date".. I says "sure". 

Had to drive to Edmonton for a funeral, took the car. The blower motor still wasn't working, and there was a surprise blizzard, so that was fun. 

Arrived alive

Dropped off at body shop

Repairs ongoing

For whatever reason, the hood bulge on this truck would always pop out in the center in heavy winds when I passed a semi. 

I attempted repairs twice, first time my repairs broke, second time it just decided to break in new places and my repairs held up. Luckily, every tundra owner seems to hate this chrome grill so OEM units are cheap and plentiful. I replaced it with a new unit from a 2018 someone removed to go to a colour matched unit. 

Then, I finally got around to finishing up the booster install. I like tidy wiring, everything hidden, so I removed the passenger seat to feed everything under the carpet. 

Whats this? whats this!

Found this treasure trove. There was like 74 pennies, two car wash coins, two dimes, two quarters, a vape, half of a buckle, a key and a lighter down there. 

I actually found the car wash coins on top of the blower motor and that fixed this weird noise I was getting from the blower motor every once in a while. 

Installed:

Cell signal booster. It actually worked pretty good. My drive to work yesterday was 8.5 hours. Usually I have zero service for like 4 of those hours, and with this I only didn't have service for 2 ish hours and the service I had worked better. I had this same unit in my Pajero and never got around to moving it over to the 7. 

Then I cleaned up the headlights:

Before

After

I didn't have the amount of xpel in stock I thought I had, so I just ceramic coated them. Its fast enough to do I will just do them again when they start to haze, and this is another item tundra bros seem to love getting rid of for some stupid ebay specials so I am playing the waiting game for a nice set of new lights off a 2021 or something. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/6/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

Tundra folks love the cheap cosmetic upgrades, that's for sure. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/6/22 4:01 p.m.

I think the old man look looks fine, would rather spend money on cars lol. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/7/22 12:53 p.m.

In the booth, 

Fixing the rock chips while they're at it and a crack in the aluminum on the front fender. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/13/22 11:50 a.m.

Done, better photos when I pick it up. 

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
12/13/22 12:46 p.m.

Nice looking shop, lots of cool cars in there also. Looks like an Eclipse with a big wing at the back

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/14/22 12:38 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

Nice looking shop, lots of cool cars in there also. Looks like an Eclipse with a big wing at the back

Yeah, kind of a funny story. Basically my friend took over the business and right now they're doing enthusiast cars, collector cars, doing it reasonably priced to get themselves out there. Now they just got signed up with a rental company to do all their stuff, approved by an insurance company.. eventually I could see it going to insurance fixing shop which makes the money. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/15/22 6:55 p.m.

got another picture from when it was in the bay. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/15/22 7:43 p.m.
tperkins said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Thanks! I was just looking at your thread, very nice. Hopefully you went back to page one where I had most of the actual work. Since making the thread I basically just pick away at things but all the cars are more or less finished. 

Yeah been reading your thread from page 1! Love it

I really wish I had your taillights. I hate mine. 
Also wish I had the EVO badge spelled out like your trunk - hate my USDM badges

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/16/22 11:11 a.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/16/22 12:53 p.m.
tperkins said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Buy Genuine Mitsubishi MR598152 Mark,evolution. Prices, fast shipping, photos, weight - Amayama can buy it here if you wanted

Ooh thanks! I need to find  a EVo 9 badge

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/16/22 5:27 p.m.

stab your vin on amayama and I'd bet they have it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/16/22 10:52 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

awesome, will do! how many miles you getting out of clutches? 

running oem exedy or act aftermarket?

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/19/22 11:20 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to tperkins :

The evo 7 still has the original clutch and is at 180,000 km lol. It is getting tired, the pedal is at the end of the travel at this point, but I have an exedy MF04 flywheel and an exedy "stage 1" to go in.  Which, is the same clutch I have in the evo 6, but I have only put 25,000 km on that car in 9 years.

I just got a good deal on it, a guy imported a car, reached out to me for some help with it (it was super rotten), I tried to find him a chassis locally to put all his parts into but he gave up after a month to sell it as is. Someone else posted the car for parting out, so I messaged the original owner asking if the AYC/ACD pump was any good.. he mentioned he had a bunch of new parts for sale and I asked what he had and what he wanted.

He had:
Exedy MF04 flywheel (430$ CAD)
Exedy stage 1 clutch 05803 (756$)
Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear (840$)
DBA street performance pads front and rear (253$)
Stoptech braided stainless steel brake lines (150$)
Whiteline endlinks (190$)

For a total of 2616$ CAD (before shipping anything), and I asked how much he wanted and he said 1500$, so that was very lucky lol. I think I helped him pick out that clutch if I remember. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/19/22 11:54 a.m.
tperkins said:
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to tperkins :

The evo 7 still has the original clutch and is at 180,000 km lol. It is getting tired, the pedal is at the end of the travel at this point, but I have an exedy MF04 flywheel and an exedy "stage 1" to go in.  Which, is the same clutch I have in the evo 6, but I have only put 25,000 km on that car in 9 years.

I just got a good deal on it, a guy imported a car, reached out to me for some help with it (it was super rotten), I tried to find him a chassis locally to put all his parts into but he gave up after a month to sell it as is. Someone else posted the car for parting out, so I messaged the original owner asking if the AYC/ACD pump was any good.. he mentioned he had a bunch of new parts for sale and I asked what he had and what he wanted.

He had:
Exedy MF04 flywheel (430$ CAD)
Exedy stage 1 clutch 05803 (756$)
Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear (840$)
DBA street performance pads front and rear (253$)
Stoptech braided stainless steel brake lines (150$)
Whiteline endlinks (190$)

For a total of 2616$ CAD (before shipping anything), and I asked how much he wanted and he said 1500$, so that was very lucky lol. I think I helped him pick out that clutch if I remember. 

Thanks for the info. I am just researching clutches for when I need it. Is the exedy stage 1 you mentioned, the OEM one? Locally all the shops recommend ACT HDSS (I don't need one yet, just doing the research). 

I also need to test my ACD pump. I get the single light, but after 20-27 miles of driving, all 3 lights come on. I wanted to do the test to see if i can hear hte pump noise. Local shops rebuild them, so I need to research that a bit

I need your phone on speed dial so I can ask you al the questions

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/19/22 1:54 p.m.

Lol, well if your car is usdm, youll have the ACD pump. My JDM car has AYC and ACD, so I have a pain in the butt pump to find that costs a fortune. 

The stock clutch was made by exedy.. I don't mind ACT clutches, but I would personally go with exedy. When chosing a clutch you want to look at what your goals are, preferences for clutch feel. For the evo 7 my goals are pretty minor, for all my cars really, so the normal 05803 is fine for me, its something like 20% more clamp force than a stock clutch, so stiffens your pedal a bit but it isn't insane amounts like the stage 1 HD. 

Decide what you want from the car then figure out how to get there. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/19/22 2:10 p.m.
tperkins said:

Lol, well if your car is usdm, youll have the ACD pump. My JDM car has AYC and ACD, so I have a pain in the butt pump to find that costs a fortune. 

The stock clutch was made by exedy.. I don't mind ACT clutches, but I would personally go with exedy. When chosing a clutch you want to look at what your goals are, preferences for clutch feel. For the evo 7 my goals are pretty minor, for all my cars really, so the normal 05803 is fine for me, its something like 20% more clamp force than a stock clutch, so stiffens your pedal a bit but it isn't insane amounts like the stage 1 HD. 

Decide what you want from the car then figure out how to get there. 

Thanks. Yup mine is a stock USDM car. I heard ACD pumps are $2500 new, and they also go bad anyways. So rebuild is the way to go (from what I hear). 

My goals on my EVO is to keep it stock, mint, use it for canyons and some DD duty and keep it for next 10 years. I modify a lot of my cars, but the EVO I prefer just the way it is . Thus probably replace with stock clutch when time is due. Local evo shops charge $1400-$1700 for full clutch replacement.

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/19/22 5:48 p.m.

If the car is stock with no plans of going beyond stock, just pick up a stock exedy clutch and have your flywheel machined, bing bang boom you're done. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/20/22 12:26 p.m.

Good news, new blower motor replaced and I have heat again in the evo 7. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
12/24/22 10:32 p.m.

Needs a quick detail but looks pretty good, under my LED work light and outside overcast it looks good. 

Former rock chipped glory

fresh:

Reminder, before:

After:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/25/22 2:36 p.m.

god damn she looks sexy 

black and white contrast is really amazing 

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners