8 9 10 11 12
egoman
egoman Reader
2/8/22 9:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

I've used similar bend lines in thinner metal. Were those just bent with a vice and a hammer, or something more sophisticated?

That's 3/16ths steel and if the outer bends had a little more meat to them maybe the bends would have worked. I ended up cutting them and welding them back together.

egoman
egoman Reader
2/22/22 9:42 p.m.

Remember a few posts ago when I said I could get 16 gallons of fuel in the car? Well nothing works better than getting an actual item in your hands. A friend of mine (Jeff Pritchard) answered my Facebook question about a fuel cell and said he had one at the “friends and family” discount. Strangely enough this was one day after driving down that way to pick up the wheel tubs. Oh well it’s a nice drive with the classic rock station playing “Fat Bottomed Girls”. Turns out that I can get a more useable 22 gallon fuel cell in the car.

Attached Images

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
3/6/22 9:36 p.m.

The unicorn truck needs to become a lot less of a truck and more of a Cougar. We will strip it down and retrieve what we need and sell as much off as we can. I recouped way more than I originally paid for the truck anyways. Despite all that was removed today it still drives around the yard.

Attached Images

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
3/14/22 8:52 p.m.

Even though I already MIG welded the car, I felt that for a better looking cage I would have my friend Brent Johnston over to TIG weld all the visible welds. We ended up grinding a lot out so they wouldn’t be all lumpy. Brent worked for a local chassis welder for several years and welded aerospace for 18 years. I hounded him to join the union and he now is one of our best stainless welders. He also is now the shortest welder in our hall, a title formerly held by my other friend Dwayne Rudkavitch.

Attached Images

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
3/14/22 9:24 p.m.

Nice work. Those welds remind  me of the welds of a guy I used to work with that was a certified high pressure welder. 

egoman
egoman Reader
3/15/22 10:04 p.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

Nice work. Those welds remind  me of the welds of a guy I used to work with that was a certified high pressure welder. 

Thank you. 

egoman
egoman Reader
3/20/22 6:57 p.m.

Just a start on doing the wheel tubs. I bought some weld through primer from the local auto body supply place. WHAT JUNK! That crap went everywhere. I looked like the tin man when I was using that E36 M3. Don’t worry in a future episode I find a much better product. I have some pictures here but it’s not that detailed as I needed both hands many times when a good picture could have been taken.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
3/28/22 10:02 p.m.

Attached Images

I ordered the Ride-tech R-joints along with my suspension links and the coil-overs and it finally got here. Well most of it got here. They didn’t ship the suspension links. SIGH!

egoman
egoman Reader
4/3/22 8:59 p.m.

Some more FOMOCO goodness is coming below. Just thought you should be warned, LOL!

egoman
egoman Reader
4/3/22 9:07 p.m.

Today we decided to put that money we spent “on the car”. In other words those coil-overs will look better on the car than sitting in the wheelbarrow in the sea can. Some of this will work out just fine and some will apparently not.

egoman
egoman Reader
4/13/22 11:49 p.m.

Earlier in my build thread I stated that the guy I ordered my Vette parts from was a flake. Although none of the big stuff was missing a lot of the little bits didn’t make it here. Today I had to make something simple that was supposed to come with the deal. As long as the initial stuff took, I decided that it would be easier for me to just manufacture it.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
4/20/22 9:30 p.m.

I needed to remove the U-bolts that were holding the rear end in place. They were interfering in the placement of the coil-overs. Because of this I had to make some fake radius rods and install the links for the watts linkage so it all stays in place.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
4/24/22 6:11 p.m.

Today’s project was to do the driver’s side wheel tub. We can see if I learned anything from that one?______

egoman
egoman Reader
5/2/22 9:33 p.m.

Anybody who has ever tubbed a car knows that the trunk hinges become a problem after tubs are added.
We figured a solution and put that idea to the test.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
5/11/22 8:54 p.m.

Attached Images

Today’s project was to create an upper shock mount cross-member. The original brackets that you saw before were never going to work. I don’t feel bad about that as they were specifically designed for the front coil-overs. I had just assumed that they could work at the back also. HMMMM.

egoman
egoman Reader
5/17/22 8:47 p.m.

We decided that the rear coil-overs finally needed to have their mounting points finalized. We started with a gusseted and double bolted bottom mount and then moved to the upper cross-member mounting. This is another place where using clamps, taking accurate measurements and double checking are the order of the day.         

___

egoman
egoman Reader
5/24/22 8:05 p.m.

Those fancy Ride-tech R-Joints are just sitting there and they needed to be put on the car. Besides this would make the car easier to roll around on its own springs. That would not happen till much later, but that was the thought on that particular day. Let’s get the suspension links in!

egoman
egoman Reader
5/29/22 8:11 p.m.

This project was for the upper 3rd link mount that attaches to the chassis. It was freaking hot and I got as much done as I could but the day was short.

egoman
egoman Reader
6/6/22 9:07 p.m.

The other day we were working on that 3rd link mount and had to stop because it was too hot. Surprise, it’s still too hot, and we are going to finish it if it kills us…….. One of these days that may come true.

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
6/12/22 8:58 p.m.

We are going to break something today. Sorry we are going to “brake” something today. The project for the day is to mount all the calipers on the car. The longer stuff lays around and doesn’t get bolted on the better chance you are going to lose something.

Attached Images

___

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
6/18/22 10:03 p.m.

We are nothing if we are not creative. I needed a stiffer sway bar and when mine was interfering with the coil springs, I brained! Shorten the one you have and you gain stiffness. BRILLIANT! Necessity is the mother of invention and I didn’t want to have a custom bar made until I have time to setup the car.

Attached Images

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/19/22 7:03 a.m.

You are doing some very cool work here.  And kudos for being disciplined enough to take so many pics as you go. 

love to see it all coming together

Will
Will UberDork
6/19/22 8:30 a.m.

l don't comment much on your thread, but you're doing awesome work and I look forward to seeing how everything turns out. Wish I had your fabrication skills for my own MN12 project(s).

egoman
egoman Reader
6/27/22 9:25 p.m.

Dropped by the Union Hall, Local 254 Plumbers and Pipefitters. Talked Mark Olson into welding up the ends of the sway bar. Thank you brother!

Attached Images

egoman
egoman Reader
7/4/22 8:11 p.m.

ou may remember that I had taken a hydro-boost assembly from my nephew’s old Astro-van. You may also remember that I said I wasn’t going to use it. My mid-engine project from several years ago donated its braking pedal assembly. It was almost brand new and I figured with the amount of brakes this car was going to have it would stop just fine. And we are off to install that dual master assembly!

Attached Images         

Attached Images 

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IabCkWQQcZdJvaTgkfiSxIZ7hddSnrMzYAebPon3IEPnG4ALBqJX998udtg1ee9I