Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/11/22 12:49 p.m.

Can a giubo joint be used to directly attach the output shaft of a transmission to a divorced transfer case. There isn't enough room between the transfer case and the transmission for a driveshaft. We thought about connecting the two with a single u joint as the transmission has a slip yoke output. I don't think this would have enough flex for engine and chassis movement though. Something would either vibrate or break. In my mind a giubo would allow for misalignment in all planes. What say the hive?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/11/22 1:59 p.m.

This sounds like a tricky packaging issue. Every divorced case I've ever seen uses a driveshaft. 

Can you rig up a CV joint?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/11/22 2:43 p.m.

I would attempt a cv joint. Guibo would probably work, but I don't know what kind of torque you are dealing with, either...

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/11/22 3:31 p.m.

We'll looking at 80hp and 90ftlbs of torque. 

Would this work as a driveshaft? Just spit balling.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
4/11/22 3:55 p.m.

Can you rigidly mount the transmission to the transfer case? That would take care of any misalignment issues. Kinda like how Miatas have the power plant frame connecting the transmission and the diff. 

10001110101 Reader
4/11/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

Looks like a double cardan joint. Should work great with those power levels.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/11/22 4:49 p.m.
Wayslow said:

We'll looking at 80hp and 90ftlbs of torque. 

Would this work as a driveshaft? Just spit balling.

Yes.

That is effectively a really short driveshaft.

I would want the trans and transfer mounted on the same frame to keep the movements to a minimum. 

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
4/11/22 9:58 p.m.

IMO, a giubo would be worth trying (based only on reading about 'em, no personal experience).  Still need good alignment between trans and t-case, and the overall length may not end up better than the double cardan.

I can find some other discussion but only one actual example, and it likely was done b/c the RWD Mercedes trans already used a giubo for the original driveshaft.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
4/12/22 3:35 a.m.

I would say yes, I did something similar in our A-tractor build to connect the output shaft of the transfer case to the rear differential. So sort of the same but backwards.

I had some alignment issues, issues with different adapters needed and not enough room to tighten bolts properly so the guibo solution was later abandoned. But as long as those things are solveable I don´t see why it wouldn´t work. 

Gustaf

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KUraFTNcy7rJ107N4oqJAqQ0DJOkjqXo0EIsrM2y6q49lGpcc17g73zfbs2l34iO