1 2 3 4 5
NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/4/22 11:03 p.m.

Jetting up the carburetor and raising the float level helped.  AFR on throttle now is 12:1 instead of 17:1 and that's good enough for now. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
9/5/22 12:28 a.m.

Ain't that a snarl!  It sounds angry.  Angry and ancient.  I like it.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/5/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I'm glad the sound came through better on this video as I think it sounds great and the previous stuff all sounds off.  I left the blower belt off Saturday when I took the blower off to test fit the intake manifold flange first pattern then put it back on just so it's not laying around. 

But yeah, it sounds like the old race car it's supposed to emulate (at least to my ears)

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/5/22 7:02 p.m.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/10/22 6:59 p.m.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/12/22 7:00 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/12/22 7:05 p.m.

That exhaust is f'ing awesome.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/13/22 8:58 a.m.

Damn Nash, helluva build!  Now I'm embarrassed to call myself a car guy.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/13/22 4:46 p.m.

You have made a lot of good decisions. This thing is dripping sex appeal! I love the long runner 6-2-1 coming down at an angle and meeting the pipe where the contrasting parallel links coming up from behind. Really draws the eye in!

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/13/22 4:53 p.m.

That exhaust is amazing!

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/13/22 6:27 p.m.

Thanks for the love. The exhaust was actually a compromise to make it less time consuming to make. My first idea was a stepped log with long primaries into an angled log that expanded with every cylinder that went in. I still think that would've looked awesome but have taken a week to do by itself.  Next idea was a true equal length 6-2-1 but that again seemed like more work and less visually pleasing than what I'd like and with the supercharger the gains wouldn't be that great performance wise.

So that's how the one I've got now came to be. It doesn't look as good nor perform as well but it makes a good compromise. It sounds good too.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/14/22 10:53 p.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

All design is compromise. You are making good ones!

2_3
2_3 New Reader
9/15/22 12:05 a.m.

Started reading because of the tornado engine and stayed due to the fabrication. The car looks and sounds great

Did America get the 7 main bearings version of this engine?

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/15/22 8:24 a.m.
2_3 said:

Started reading because of the tornado engine and stayed due to the fabrication. The car looks and sounds great

Did America get the 7 main bearings version of this engine?

To the best of my knowledge the civilian and military versions of the engine made for the USA  were all 4 bearing engines.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/17/22 4:11 p.m.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/17/22 5:34 p.m.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/17/22 7:28 p.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

Looks really good.   You're really developing some great fabrication skills.

I'm curious,  could you share your design decisions & thoughts on the  main chassis rails being dual, parallel round tubes with one side plated?  I don't think I've ever seen it done that way before.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/17/22 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It was an effort to get torsional rigidity. Originally my plan was to fully cap the inside as well to create what would've been a figure eight inside an oval, that making what would effectively be 4 pipes all welded together and massively stiff.  As we were going though, after doing just the outside cap the thing had basically no flex.  You could lever the chassis around where it kicks up in thebback by the roll hoop and even with the bends going up for the front end we didn't see any real measurable flex. Knowing it was going to be ladders with the triangulation bars at hip level its was decided the inside cap at the bottom wasn't necessary.

The comparison I have is frames made of 2x8 box, we have a couple roadster shop frames at work right now. Those you can deflect just under their own weight.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/17/22 10:01 p.m.

I'll say this too, the chassis feels massively stiff compared to other aftermarket chassis I've been exposed to through work. Whether that's because of the way those lower rails are done or something else or even just wishful thinking I don't know. It was just following my own logic as opposed to testing or computer simulation or anything of that sort.

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
9/18/22 8:17 a.m.

Round tubing is the most resistant to twist.....very interesting frame design!

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/18/22 10:24 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

Bundle of straws theory, it's much easier to bend a single large straw than it is to bend a bundle of small ones.yes

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/18/22 9:51 p.m.

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 New Reader
9/18/22 10:59 p.m.

Such a cool build. I love the odd and different of it. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/19/22 7:00 a.m.

In reply to NashGTI :

Thanks for the reply.   It looked like a bit more work than just rectangular tubing.   I  thought it was an appearance  thing,  but strength is Good yes

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/25/22 4:54 p.m.

Little bit of work on the front left.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jw76kjmj85JtP3CHJrYc7bQSp8sH9XhwwoslG5qZB4kG7GhzptSI0znT7BFxQ95p