1 2 3
Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
11/30/17 10:04 p.m.

'Cause someone said i couldn't I had to....

1974 mk1 capri bought on ebay a few years ago in Chicago and driven to Alberta Canada, 3000 clicks in a car I'd never seen before... with a pregnant wife as a passenger.

It was pretty rotten an needed a lot of work on the rotisserie. New sills, floor pan. About a years worth of evenings.

Rear end from a ranger, shortened and a home made watts linkage and caltracs 

Adjustable front suspension. 

Discs all round

Adjustable bias box brakes

Custom made 3" exhaust

Custom dash

Electric assist steering

And up front, out came the 2.0 eao pinto and in went the 2.3 from an xrt4i with crower rods and wiseco forged pistons. Arps. Diy port job. Stg 3+ clutch.

A hx35 with 18cm turbine housing blowing into an m62 charger. 

44mm wastegate on turbo

Charger has mag clutch pulley removed and a solid item installed.

Two intercoolers. A water to air in the fender area and an air to air down front.. 

The throttle body I kept close to the inlet valves.. some charger installs have the tb before charger and I've done it that way before but when coolers are introduced the extra pipework creates havoc with sustained revs after closed throttle...

I'm using an external wastegate in place of a BOV.  It doesn't snap open/shut like a piston BOV. With a very weak spring inside and the upper chamber connected to MAP it will glide on boost nicely without surging and kangarooing down the street..  been there too. 

Anyways something different..

Hopefully early next year will see it wired with ms2.. That's the part I'm kinda dubious about as I've only ever fiddled with megajolt and carbs. So expect some real novice efi tuning Qs when the time comes.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
11/30/17 10:12 p.m.

Amazing!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/1/17 7:37 a.m.

You're a mean, mean, gear head. We demand a huge photo dump so we can see your beautiful work as compensation.

Please? laugh

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/1/17 8:04 a.m.

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/1/17 8:30 a.m.
RossD said:

You're a mean, mean, gear head. We demand a huge photo dump so we can see your beautiful work as compensation.

Please? laugh

I'll have to download from photobucket and re-upload via postimage... I hate photobucket, a lot! 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/1/17 8:38 a.m.

Wow, what a way to start a thread! We need more pics!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/1/17 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Craigorypeck :

That's beautiful work. Thanks for sharing. 

Now I'm off looking for 2.3T's...

dherr
dherr Reader
12/1/17 10:24 a.m.

That has to be one of the cleanest 2.3 T swaps I have ever seen! Great work and engineering to make it all look factory! So let me get this straight, it has a huge turbo blowing into an M62? Wow!!! Can't wait to see the dyno on this one. I see you built the bottom end up for the additional power as IRC the stock pieces are good only up to around 350HP. Fantastic project!

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/1/17 10:55 a.m.

Yes sir... I'm trying to achieve more boost to the inlet valve than back pressure at the turbo. Should create a free flowing engine with no residual gases hanging around pushing cylinder temps up, less prone to detonation, more ignition timing, changing up the characteristics of a turbo only engine.. my issue may be too much boost though. Trying to keep the turbo under control will be fun.

I have a  large  18cm turbine housing to try and keep it under control. 

Tell me why it won't work... that's why I'm here! 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
12/1/17 11:36 a.m.

You, sir, are my hero.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/1/17 12:11 p.m.

Following!

Always interested in relevant 2.3 projects as that's what I'm building. 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/2/17 2:15 p.m.

Custom made centre console.

Custom fascia with speedhut and glowshift gauges 

Paint came out ok for a first ever attempt in a dusty garage.

Built a rotisserie from 2 engine stands and got to work. Some very extensive work done.. new inner and outer sills, lower quarters, flared rear arches, new fenders, the first time I mig welded was on this car. . Never done this before.. Any of this actually, every part of this project was a steep learning curve. 

Just gotta have determination and dedication.  Could be the first and last car I ever build.!

again if anyone want to criticise the power plant and it's foreseeable problems fire away.. it's the only way for me to learn. 

HikerDan
HikerDan New Reader
12/2/17 3:01 p.m.

WOW. That looks amazing!!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/6/17 12:42 p.m.

Wow I love it! My dad has a 77 Capri and I love that car, just need to help him finish it!

pkingham
pkingham Reader
12/6/17 12:51 p.m.

Wow!  Very nice.

What's the plan for the transmission?  I'm pretty sure the stock Capri trans will turn to shrapnel in a hurry.

Ivo
Ivo
12/6/17 2:27 p.m.

Awesome craftmanship, indeed! But why MS2? It's not the right moment (and car) for saving few bucks on an efi. Why not MS3(X) or Pro? Is there a compressor bypass valve so the turbo could blow directly into the engine? 

I like unusual projects.I decided to go with Mumford linkage rear axle on my car.

Thanks for sharing!

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/6/17 2:53 p.m.
pkingham said:

Wow!  Very nice.

What's the plan for the transmission?  I'm pretty sure the stock Capri trans will turn to shrapnel in a hurry.

I'll be smashing a t5 for starters, maybe a tko down the line. 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/6/17 3:35 p.m.
Ivo said:

Awesome craftmanship, indeed! But why MS2? It's not the right moment (and car) for saving few bucks on an efi. Why not MS3(X) or Pro? Is there a compressor bypass valve so the turbo could blow directly into the engine? 

I like unusual projects.I decided to go with Mumford linkage rear axle on my car.

Thanks for sharing!

Is the ms2 not Good? 

I'm running compound so turbo always blows into charger. A parallel setup would use a bypass arrangement. 

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
12/6/17 5:30 p.m.

wow. just wow.

For all you non-Capri heads, that car is fully welded including the front fenders. I've had four and spent plenty of time underneath them and none of mine ever looked like that. Check out all those holes at the bottom of the fender, he drilled out each tack weld.

There's hardly any left east of Arizona, because they were such rot-boxes. Only exceeded in rustability by the 240Z.

Tip of the hat to you Sir!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
12/6/17 5:42 p.m.
Ivo said:

Thanks for sharing!

MS3 doesn't gain enough over a MS2 to warrant the expense for most builds.

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/6/17 8:35 p.m.
Agent98 said:

wow. just wow.

For all you non-Capri heads, that car is fully welded including the front fenders. I've had four and spent plenty of time underneath them and none of mine ever looked like that. Check out all those holes at the bottom of the fender, he drilled out each tack weld.

There's hardly any left east of Arizona, because they were such rot-boxes. Only exceeded in rustability by the 240Z.

Tip of the hat to you Sir!

Thanks for the kind comments! 

I drilled out hundreds of spot welds, i think ford paid by the weld. The entire front end was rotten, as was most of the bottom side.  

Its a sort of semi space framed front end as i basically couldnt find any replacement panels here.. Im not too fussed on originality anyways.

New sills and other outer asthetical panels were sourced from the UK

unfortunately the fenders were beyond saving so I brought over  fiberglass items in my luggage from a trip home to Ireland. Again wife and baby not amused....!

Those were so E36 M3e.. Weeks of cutting them apart and trying to reshape them with more fiberglass. They came out pretty nice in the end. Let's hope they hold up in direct sunlight. 

Craigorypeck
Craigorypeck New Reader
12/6/17 8:44 p.m.
Stefan said:
Ivo said:

Thanks for sharing!

MS3 doesn't gain enough over a MS2 to warrant the expense for most builds.

Yeah believe it or not, budget is tight, here doing it all myself!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/6/17 8:57 p.m.

Im not sure that any of us have a "loose" budget. 

Looking fantastic!

Interesed in learning more about the twin charging.  Never knew much about it. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/7/17 7:08 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Interesed in learning more about the twin charging.  Never knew much about it. 

Me too. Especially interested to see how it turns out on this motor given that it is also what is in my car. Personally for now I'll be sticking with just the turbo for challenge budget purposes, but when it comes time to make it insane, this seems pretty nicely insane. 

2_3
2_3 New Reader
12/7/17 8:01 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Following!

Always interested in relevant 2.3 projects as that's what I'm building. 

Same here

What are the expected boost and hp numbers? Got any pics of the ported head?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFoZRRQ2aJpRd3PP3NF6XO3Ei3PJRTHKv4egeEYolDnKHYt3iK0Sne1yCoz7ZHU0