1 2 3
bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/13/17 8:56 p.m.

It's been too long since my last update!

The Volvo has been doing exactly what I bought it for. Hauling the family on longer trips and hauling big cargo around. It even fits my gigantic Dutch bike inside without disassembly.

But I couldn't be happy with just leaving well enough alone could I?

I started with a change of wheels. The original steelies - I always did like black steelies on a silver car, so I sanded them and painted them with some Rustoleum.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/14/17 4:49 a.m.

Here's a preview for the next steps. Nowhere to go but up.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
6/14/17 10:44 a.m.

Ooh, I'm interested to see where this is going. Please continue...

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/14/17 11:57 a.m.

The first step to clearing a much larger tire on the 740 is to raise the spring perch for the front struts. This can be solved by cutting the strut housing below the perch and welding in a few inches of tubing. I found a set of already lengthened housings on Facebook to save me the trouble. The strut insert just sits on top of a spacer.

I will also have to somehow lower the sway bar, or lengthen the end links if I want to run one. For now I'm just going without.

Mount the new longer struts, trim the bumper for clearance, and Bob's your uncle.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
6/14/17 2:48 p.m.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/14/17 3:39 p.m.

LOVE IT! Posted for inspiration: Goal for when SWMBO retires her wagon from daily use

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/14/17 6:38 p.m.

The rear is a little more straightforward. For springs, a good cheap fit are the front springs from a 6 cylinder Cherokee with a hockey puck on top for a spacer.

The dampers are now about 3 inches too short. For those I plan on using Vanagon shocks. The mounting eyelets will need to be swapped out for a correct fit so that's the next project.

For now I ran out of time, and had to go pick up my daughter from school.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
6/14/17 6:45 p.m.

Excellent!

Needs moar rally lights and pushbars and stuff now!

I feel myself being drawn to click on the Craigslist icon... must... resist...

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/14/17 7:03 p.m.

I'm not one for personalized license plates usually, but if I were, maybe something like this:

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/15/17 7:13 a.m.

Drove it to work today. It rides pretty nicely actually but something's not quite right now in the drivetrain. It seems to hit a wall when accelerating at 3500 rpm, and resumes acceleration once it upshifts. Also noticing some whine on acceleration that wasn't there before.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is given the A/T tires. I'd say it's even quieter than before the lift.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
6/15/17 5:31 p.m.

Ford Flex for scale. I always thought of the Flex as a 740 ripoff.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/15/17 5:37 p.m.

Looks great, I always wanted to do that to one of my 740 wagons.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
6/28/17 10:13 a.m.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/28/17 11:48 a.m.

With that much lift you altered driveshaft angles - did you adjust for that? Also - bigger wheels/tires weigh more - it's all got to be accelerated and stopped. Acceleration and fuel mileage will take a hit. Taller tires also raise effective gearing which also hurts acceleration in the city.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
6/28/17 11:58 a.m.

I have not adjusted for driveshaft angles yet - the 740 is a two-piece driveshaft with a center support bearing, I plan on lowering that support to allow a straighter driveshaft and see if that helps. I'm also replacing all the rubber suspension bushings.

I realize the difference in tires impacts acceleration and mileage. My problem is more severe than that.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/28/17 4:30 p.m.

I'm sure you'll figure it out...

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
6/29/17 10:37 p.m.

That thing looks perfect. I threw Grabbers on an 88 Town Car this year and wondered if I should have gone further and put in proper coil springs/spacers. Now I definitely think so.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
6/30/17 7:19 a.m.

My son in particular likes the new stance. Now I really have to fix the rear main seal oil leak.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
6/30/17 12:32 p.m.

Context is totally different - but reminds of an old Frank Zappa tune, paraphrasing - "....buns up kneelin', wheelin' and dealin'...."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TrQxttbdAErIt1sXgBkk6qzbwLA0QHkrGXRqQ3RK8bl0uFIsZnhMe1ZqBXeqW5Bv