3 4 5 6 7
RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/8/17 6:01 a.m.

Atlanta(Roswell).

I guess you have to be registered with MX5Atlanta to see the pic link. I'll look to see if I have pics posted on other sites or PM me your email and I can send them directly.

Here is the whole build thread there (registering allows pics to be seen)

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/8/17 8:34 a.m.

All I can say is WOW.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/8/17 9:32 a.m.

Found some pics I had posted on the big Miata list...

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/8/17 11:10 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: 2x4" tube origami is a great game. Nice mounts.

I like these parts of the build- Probably because I get to stay relatively clean and comfortable working on the bench! I think I've been convinced on buying a cheap-o wheel too. I'll do the trans tunnel and see if I can pick it up quickly, if so, maybe an aluminum body is not too overly ambitious of me.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/8/17 11:10 a.m.
RandyS wrote: Found some pics I had posted on the big Miata list...

Randy,

Still not showing up for me! Darn.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/8/17 1:46 p.m.

You have to be a miata.net member and logged in to see forum pics. I put them on my own webspace:

RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/8/17 3:38 p.m.

The volvo front clip is actually not that far off. Bolt on some 240z repo fiberglass buckets , extend the nose section abut a foot to where the grill should be, and then blend would be really close.

RandyS
RandyS Reader
7/8/17 5:11 p.m.

MSpaint...

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/9/17 10:20 a.m.

Thanks for the pics y'all! I sold off the whole front clip of the car a while back, what you see in the pics is really all I have left of the car besides the doors and glass.

Really leaning towards building a wood/mdf buck and shaping the body in aluminum. Have a long way to go before that though! Trans mount, trans tunnel, firewall, pedal box, steering column and linkage are what's next.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/10/17 5:58 a.m.

Making the entire body is going to be a E36 M3load of work, but certainly doable. The learning curve alone is justification for going down that path. Besides, you dont really have a choice at this point do you!?

Do you have some kind of timeline in mind for this project?

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/11/17 11:37 a.m.

The engine mounts are now burned in all the way and I ordered a new trans mount to modify/ build mine from. I should figure that out this weekend, maybe start on the firewall and tunnel too.

I love the look of polished aluminum so that would be a plus if I could leave it unpainted- at least for a while. Timeline... I don't really have anything set. I'm pretty quick about moving along though. I have done full tear down and rebuilds on bikes in a of a couple of months.

275nart
275nart New Reader
7/19/17 4:39 p.m.

Not a whole lot to report here but the pedal box is tacked back into place. I moved it over about 3.5" from the factory location.

I ordered a few more materials so I can fab the trans mount shortly.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
7/19/17 7:31 p.m.

Progress is progress! Just when I had decided that EVERYBODY had gone to Michigan with Mazdeuce for the summer! Looking great, I love following this most ambitious project. I have no doubt this will be unbelievable when it's completed.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
7/19/17 8:16 p.m.
275nart wrote: Thanks for the pics y'all! I sold off the whole front clip of the car a while back, what you see in the pics is really all I have left of the car besides the doors and glass. Really leaning towards building a wood/mdf buck and shaping the body in aluminum. Have a long way to go before that though! Trans mount, trans tunnel, firewall, pedal box, steering column and linkage are what's next.

There was a forum post online somewhere (I looked, can't find it now) where a guy built an entire aluminum body for his Cobra Daytona coupe replica. It was amazing to read. While certainly NOT easy it seemed a doable thing when it was broken down into small parts. If you can swing it an aluminum body would be amazing on this project. It's one of my personal dreams to do this on a project of my own. I've been reading though this site and I'd love to find the time to take classes. Maybe you can do it and let us all live vicariously through you and bathe in the awesomeness that is hand forming your own Ferrari car body!

Burrito
Burrito Dork
7/19/17 9:28 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
275nart wrote: Thanks for the pics y'all! I sold off the whole front clip of the car a while back, what you see in the pics is really all I have left of the car besides the doors and glass. Really leaning towards building a wood/mdf buck and shaping the body in aluminum. Have a long way to go before that though! Trans mount, trans tunnel, firewall, pedal box, steering column and linkage are what's next.
There was a forum post online somewhere (I looked, can't find it now) where a guy built an entire aluminum body for his Cobra Daytona coupe replica. It was amazing to read. While certainly NOT easy it seemed a doable thing when it was broken down into small parts. If you can swing it an aluminum body would be amazing on this project. It's one of my personal dreams to do this on a project of my own. I've been reading though this site and I'd love to find the time to take classes. Maybe you can do it and let us all live vicariously through you and bathe in the awesomeness that is hand forming your own Ferrari car body!

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8899

Typically when someone says scratchbuilt body, the answer is metalmeet.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
7/20/17 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Burrito:

Yes! That's the thread. Thanks Burrito.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/20/17 2:40 p.m.

How hard can it be? Ferrari bodies were made by a bunch of winos beating sheet aluminum on a stump.

You have a shape. Get it digitally drawn and then section into a buck design.

Have the buck stations laser cut out of wood. If there are sections of the buck that you foresee using as a former to hammer on, cut it so that you can lay a strip of steel on the edge. Have it cut that way rather than adding later.

Start wheeling and shrinking parts until they fit the buck. Weld together and you are done!

TexSquirrel
TexSquirrel None
7/30/17 10:57 a.m.

Here are some pictures of a 275 that's going to be auctioned in Monterey:

1965 FERRARI 275 GTB LONG NOSE

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/30/17 11:20 p.m.
think about when the Prowler was built; Chryco didn't really have a better engine on the shelf already certified for use in a car. Think 300M, not 300C, for their top sedan. And the 4.7 SOHC was only EPA etc certified for use in trucks. The car was to be as much of a recycle job as possible because it wouldn't have much sales volume, so it's basically the top-spec LH drivetrain of the time in a funky wrapper.

It's also faster than the car that donated the v12 for this build.. so there's that..

Just reread and caught up on this build. Nothing but kudos and excited to see it coming along!

275nart
275nart New Reader
8/2/17 6:46 p.m.

Trans mount is done. First I had to make some little brackets with captive nuts

I welded those to the inside of the main frame rails

Cut up the factory mustang trans mount I bought and bolted it into place

boxing in those gaps

A lick of paint and it's good enough for now.

275nart
275nart New Reader
8/2/17 6:49 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

New toy. For $300 w/ the anvils what's there to really lose. I'm going to try my luck with it this weekend in "stock" Chinese form before modifications.

275nart
275nart New Reader
8/2/17 6:52 p.m.
TexSquirrel wrote: Here are some pictures of a 275 that's going to be auctioned in Monterey: 1965 FERRARI 275 GTB LONG NOSE

Would do a trade with the devil for a red long nose 275. Need to toss those borranis though in favor of the campagnolo wheels!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/3/17 4:44 a.m.

That will work fine to move metal. Get a rubber band for the upper wheel or a go-kart tire as I find that I use mine more in that mode than I do as an actual e-wheel where you add a third dimension.

If you have a dial indicator it might be worth checking the run-out on the wheel just so that you know what it is.

And watch your fingers, e-wheels bite!

275nart
275nart New Reader
8/4/17 9:59 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: That will work fine to move metal. Get a rubber band for the upper wheel or a go-kart tire as I find that I use mine more in that mode than I do as an actual e-wheel where you add a third dimension. If you have a dial indicator it might be worth checking the run-out on the wheel just so that you know what it is. And watch your fingers, e-wheels bite!

That's the plan for the trans tunnel, just rolling the metal to get the radii I need. I ordered a 8" rubber band so hopefully it arrives today or tomorrow. I don't have a dial indicator but the upper wheel seems really trued up- maybe I'm lucky because that doesn't seem like it's been the case with others with these e wheels. A few of the anvils seem like they might be out of round though.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
8/5/17 8:51 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: And watch your fingers, e-wheels bite!

I remember an old episode of Jesse James building motorcycles explaining the E Wheel as the machine you use to make blood squirt out from under your fingernails!

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rdf5KZqe25NP4AuCqCrtyVqHv68aVl2CY7g9otGFHzw3rk9evlqVauGLh3EZRQ1N