Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/2/19 7:09 a.m.

I love how those look, keeping the overall styling of the original 1800ES seats.  A lot of 1800 owners write/talk about how great the OEM seats are, but after a few thousand mile of personal butt-time in them, I can't stand them. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/2/19 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Done several 1000 plus mile days in Miata seats and can attest to posterior sympathy with the design. So, hopefully still the case!  

Start the DS one tonight .

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
5/2/19 7:48 a.m.

That seat looks incredible. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/3/19 8:37 a.m.

The odd confluence of colors is going to require some future development, but I think I will live with it for now.

Pete

CJ
CJ Reader
5/6/19 11:36 a.m.

OK, I give up.  Is someone stealing your pictures on the Volvo Restomod group on FB, or are you also Bjorn Smith wink?

Volvo Restomod

Great progress, by the way

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/6/19 11:44 a.m.

In reply to CJ :

Guilty as charged. I had to disappear from FB two years ago, but still wanted to visit some car groups without any of my previous contacts knowing I was still alive. Enter the Muppet.

Pete

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/6/19 12:11 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to CJ :

Guilty as charged. I had to disappear from FB two years ago, but still wanted to visit some car groups without any of my previous contacts knowing I was still alive. Enter the Muppet.

Pete

So you've been Bjorn again?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/6/19 1:37 p.m.
TVR Scott said:
NOHOME said:

In reply to CJ :

Pete

So you've been Bjorn again?

CJ
CJ Reader
5/6/19 3:35 p.m.

Sorry if I blew your cover.  Will delete the post in the interests of flying under the radar if you would like...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/6/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to CJ :

Not an issue.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/6/19 7:12 p.m.

Not only did you anticipate my dorky joke, but you proactively had custom plates made.

Well played, sir.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/6/19 9:19 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Not only did you anticipate my dorky joke, but you proactively had custom plates made.

Well played, sir.

I read it as BJ OR NAGGIN’ and thought “that guy’s definitely married.”

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/7/19 11:56 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

That made me genuinely laugh out loud!

And I also like that the cat in that picture looks ready for a beer and a TV remote.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/8/19 6:05 a.m.

This last week has been a good one as far as progress. Besides the seats being reskined, I also finalized the plan for the rear deck surface. What to put down and how to attach it was still an open question this late into the project.

Rather than weld in a sheet of tin, I decided to hedge my bets and bolt in the sheet of tin to cover this area.

That meant locating, drilling and welding in 72 weld-nuts..  That was fun.

Anyone spot another nerve wracking task crossed off the list?

Fortunately I had hepled a friend rope in a windshield  for a Mustang not long ago and it took some of the scary out of the task.  The reality is that it takes longer to do the benchwork of putting the rubber around the window and the rope in the groove, than it does to locate the windshield in the hole and pull the rope. Kinda cool how it just sucks the window into place as the rope goes around the perimeter. This is a good example of a job that I would have contracted out a few years ago thinking it was beyond my skills.

Now, if I can just figure how to get the trim on there, I will be happy. If not, it wont stop me from first drive.

Pete

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/8/19 6:14 a.m.

From a number of discussions on the 1800list over the years, the easiest way to install the trim is to do it on the gasket before installing the windshield.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/8/19 7:11 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Tried that and it was not going well. Could not keep the rubber on the glass while trying to install the trim.  Downloaded the "Green Book" and it describes a rope method after the window is in, but the physics make no sense to me. 

I learned to live without windshield trim on the MGB GT so if it comes to that, there is precedent.  

Pete

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/8/19 7:45 a.m.

Although I doubt it'll be any consolation, fitting the windshield trim has been a well-worn topic of debate for as long as I've been watching 1800 discussions - 15 years now - and it wasn't new then.  About the only thing agreed on is it's a PITA.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/8/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I have often wondered why this is so. It is virtually impossible to get the windshield trim on the MGB GT, and now this car. American cars seem to have a 5 second solution to a simple problem. It is not like engineers to design in difficult time consuming steps in a vehicle assembly, but these guys did so on purpose?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/8/19 8:04 a.m.

Weird, thought I had posted this...

The car is suffering from low vacuum. After looking at all the ussual suspects, I keep wandering back to this exhaust crossover. Mayhaps it is constipating the system and causing low vacuum? 

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/9/19 6:00 a.m.

B or E cam?  If so, that's certainly contributing to low vacuum.....

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/9/19 6:15 a.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

e cam

just checked with my buddies e cammed engine and he has a solid 16 inches. 

I get that the e cam is universally reviled by the 302 world, but under 10 inches for a cam that is meant to make torque down low does not make sense.

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/9/19 7:12 a.m.

Vacuum leak? Or timing set too low at idle?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/9/19 7:22 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I add it to the "List of Reasons Why British Leyland Went Out of Business" and the 1800 has a lot of LBC traits in the design and construction.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/9/19 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Checked those two and should not be an issue.

Rich mix tends to make for low vacuum, but AF is good, or at least the reading is on the FITECH handheld and no exhaust leak that I can detect.

The engine actually runs fine, but the low vacuum makes no sense.

Before I take the sawzall to the pipes, gonna run this test and see what it reports:

Low vacuum also can be an immediate clue to a plugged exhaust. To check further, run the engine at about 2500 rpm for about 15 seconds. If vacuum drops during this period and does not increase when you close the throttle, you're almost certainly looking at a restricted exhaust.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/9/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Are you checking vacuum through the computer or with a vacuum gauge

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JyoFm8s8eP8Sb638OIZeEaHoih71CWN4U0rm7p0Yu5YGqINajzNbs7Nqjl7E2TP7