1 2
mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
1/30/21 5:59 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

I found an LS3 - cable Si transmission, sent it to Syncrotech for rebuild & LSD. I don't remember what type of LSD. I should have had them put in a taller 5th gear.

I put in BCR's all around as soon as they were available. They are tuned & made for the CVCC. 

The axles were a challenge. Since the hubs are 80-83 Civic, I had to get the motor & transmission all done & get it to a finish weight, then use scrap cv joint parts on each end & very carefully take measurements seal to seal & take the scrap cv joints @ those measurements to Dutchman Axle in Meridian Idaho since we lived there. They made the axles out of Hy-Tuf. Way over built but didn't want to do it again.

Motor mounts are custom, nothing available. We used 3 - 2 5/8" DOM mounts with poly inserts & 9/16" id sleeves.  My friend has a pipe bender so the R mount is bent 3/16" wall tubing, dom mount & 1/4" plate. The L is 1/4" plate, dom mount bolted to the stock Honda engine mount. The back mount is 1/4" plate & dom mount. Used a fried block as a mock-up. 

The R mount also doubles as the new aluminum battery tray holder.

Dutchman Hy-Tuf axles

The L front control arm goes across the corner of the oil pan. Had to notch it & tig weld back together.

So no, nothing off the shelf except the BCR's.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/30/21 8:02 p.m.

I had a '77 Civic part way through grade 12, and a '78 a couple years later.  I love them, but I see the invisible rust in them, just waiting to spoil my day.

How did you get one so rust-free, and what are you doing to keep it so?

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
1/30/21 8:31 p.m.

I finally found the rest of the pictures. Had to cut the front main support because the bellhousing wanted to be there. Also had to make a radiator support so combined the 2. Worked great. 

Adding more pics.

Made the shifter & strut rod out of the original & 4th gen parts. 

Painted everything

Filled all those firewall holes where the old stamped steel T mount was.

Tried to match the original texture.

Removed the tank & recoated the inside. That coating does not come off. My gloves ripped & it was on my hands for a week or more.

Made an ecu mount.

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
1/30/21 8:43 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Found this one in Arizona. It does have some very light surface rust on some points.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cJQh0QL8zl6JA19m9lWJeqJvGtrrKjMdNvEJB0oruuYOD60BemqBPESShpa98uWj