1 2 3 4
czerka
czerka New Reader
7/9/20 4:52 p.m.

Head unit is a Pioneer 2500NEX.  You have to get a piece to replace the trim around the vent and factory unit as it is bigger than the replacement head unit.  The color and texture are slightly off but it's not that noticeable.  I did not get the kit to keep the steering wheel controls, didn't think it would be worth it at the time.  The only thing I really miss is being able to quickly mute the radio without taking my hand or eyes off the road.

If/when your sun visors melt, 04-08 Acura TL visors swap right in and are all around better quality.  I wish mine had cleaned up a little better, but still better than the floppy Civic ones.  The color match looks a lot worse in the pictures than in person.  It was roughly $80 for the pair shipped. 

I do a monthly serious wash with a polymer sealant and wax and follow that up with a (mostly) weekly quick wash and spray on wax.  So far I haven't noticed any further damage to the paint.  It's honestly a lot of work for a Honda now that the temperatures are getting close to triple digits but it's all worth it when you get to run you hand along the silky smooth paint after a wash. My B pillar wraps have cracked on the edges and some red is showing through but they are in good shape other wise.  Best thing the previous owner did was wrap the chrome bit on the trunk red and put red wrap on the clear indicators, really cleans the rear up in my opinion. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/9/20 5:00 p.m.
czerka said:

Head unit is a Pioneer 2500NEX.  You have to get a piece to replace the trim around the vent and factory unit as it is bigger than the replacement head unit.  The color and texture are slightly off but it's not that noticeable.  I did not get the kit to keep the steering wheel controls, didn't think it would be worth it at the time.  The only thing I really miss is being able to quickly mute the radio without taking my hand or eyes off the road.

If/when your sun visors melt, 04-08 Acura TL visors swap right in and are all around better quality.  I wish mine had cleaned up a little better, but still better than the floppy Civic ones.  The color match looks a lot worse in the pictures than in person.  It was roughly $80 for the pair shipped. 

I do a monthly serious wash with a polymer sealant and wax and follow that up with a (mostly) weekly quick wash and spray on wax.  So far I haven't noticed any further damage to the paint.  It's honestly a lot of work for a Honda now that the temperatures are getting close to triple digits but it's all worth it when you get to run you hand along the silky smooth paint after a wash. My B pillar wraps have cracked on the edges and some red is showing through but they are in good shape other wise.  Best thing the previous owner did was wrap the chrome bit on the trunk red and put red wrap on the clear indicators, really cleans the rear up in my opinion. 

thank you 

I have the 4500 nex pioneer wireless carplay in my FJ cruiser so was going to go with something similar. I also have the maestro in the FJ which retains all steering controls. Personally if I had buttons that didn't work on the steering my OCD would kick in too much.  

I really like this look, as it really modernizes the interior, but I don't trust this brand 

https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Android-Carplay-Navigation-Multimedia/dp/B07WDTRZLT/ref=pd_aw_sbs_107_2/144-1457148-5377427?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WDTRZLT&pd_rd_r=d6a6349c-ab39-46b8-aa87-f4d214319e55&pd_rd_w=hMPTr&pd_rd_wg=htzSR&pf_rd_p=16ff41c6-3d9a-421c-b266-e4f5a50e5128&pf_rd_r=ZF6JSN051HA930FYP4WY&psc=1&refRID=ZF6JSN051HA930FYP4WY

great note on the TL sun visor. I have two dealer installed civic ones (terrible plastic), let's see how long they last before I need a TL set 

hehehe guess I am not the only one who gets lustful pleasure running your hands on the smooth buttery paint. 

care to share the rear end pics of your car to see what you are talking about ? 

czerka
czerka New Reader
7/9/20 5:35 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

care to share the rear end pics of your car to see what you are talking about ? 

It is filthy at the moment.  After a wash this weekend I'll take some pics.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/9/20 5:40 p.m.

In reply to czerka :

Thanks!!!

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/10/20 10:28 a.m.

awesome tip with the TL visors.   mine are fine right now but i'd like to improve them when the day comes they need replaced rather than getting another set that's doomed to fail.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/10/20 10:30 a.m.
ScottyB said:

awesome tip with the TL visors.   mine are fine right now but i'd like to improve them when the day comes they need replaced rather than getting another set that's doomed to fail.

Yeah I just checked my 12 TSX wagon. It is the thicker/nicer, cloth wrapped, like the TL posted above. Whereas, the Si OEM new ones that are on there are now, are completely plastic, like a crappy GM tonka toy part.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
7/10/20 3:54 p.m.

Clean! I haven't driven one but I think they're interesting. 
There's some amazing roads back in Angeles. I did a loop up there a couple years back when I had my MS3 and wow it was epic

I should drive more. I only do that kinda thing once a year or so. 
Anyway, enjoy!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/10/20 4:32 p.m.
spandak said:

Clean! I haven't driven one but I think they're interesting. 
There's some amazing roads back in Angeles. I did a loop up there a couple years back when I had my MS3 and wow it was epic

I should drive more. I only do that kinda thing once a year or so. 
Anyway, enjoy!

Yup I drive a lot 

we will be out in Angeles tomorrow morning with few 911 turbos, 2 Exige, Integra Type R, and 1 Ariel Atom. Meet at my hoise then drive 

should be fun 

got the bike rack on for tonight's 4 bike ride 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/10/20 4:38 p.m.

I guess since my name is on this, I'll post some pics and tell a quick story about Civic Si #1.  I bought it in 2014 with 189K miles on it.  It was owned by a very fussy Honda tech who stored it in the winter and it looked like it had 30K miles on it.  He had just had the clearcoat recall done and the roof and hood were repainted with a perfect match.  He asked me what my plans were and I sheepishly said it was going to be my winter car (thanks for storing previously it so it won't rust for a long time).  At the time, a decent Si with around 100K miles was $10-14K, but I got mine for $7K because of the miles.  Since it was my daily, I didn't take any pictures of it except for a couple in 2017 still with the winter wheel/tires on it.  Here's one that shows its former glory.

I got the car up to about 225K miles in 2019.  The rest of the clearcoat on the trunk lid and A-pillars was starting to look pretty bad, so I was going to get that addressed.  Instead, my son Jack got a job with a pretty decent commute and needed another car.  I said, take this one, let's see if we can get it past 350K miles.  I offered to address the paint, but he kind of likes rattier cars for daily drivers, so he just drove it as is and got it to about 240K miles by Christmas, 2019.  By the way, he put a hitch on it, just like you guys.  On December 31, 2019, during the day and a bunch of snow, someone rounded a corner and took out three parked cars, including mine/Jack's:

So the insurance company valued it at somewhere around $4500 and it was totaled.  Jack decided to move onto another car so I bought it back from the insurance company for just over $500.  So now I've owned this car twice and bought it pretty reasonably both times.  I replaced it with a 2020 Civic Si, but decided to put it in the collection as I believe these cars will be like first gen GTIs someday.  So I'm "restoring it."

It needed a little frame pull in the left front, one weld-in radiator support panel, and the rest was bolt-on.

I spent $500 on the frame pull and about $1500 on parts, so now I'm into it for $2500.  I won't have the time to paint it myself so I'm sending it to our regular painter and he says we'll end up at about $5000 for a complete repaint if I put it back together.   That'll put me at about $7500 all in, maybe a bit more than it's worth due to the mileage, but it will be a really nice car again.  I've probably owned 300 cars and this one is in the top 5.

It doesn't have any modifications and I run the stock wheels when the snow is gone.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/10/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Carl thanks for chiming  in, great story! I know I read both of your son had 8th gen si, and you have a new one. 

I didn't realize you kept the old one

I am only on car #54, compared to your car #300. But I am enjoying it so far 

I have a 3,000 mile roadtrip to Montana in it in 2 weeks. Lets see how she does 

to me after a full detail, baseline fluid changes, a roadtrip is what is needed to be one with the car. Last 6-7 years I have only been buying cars on purpose in far away destinations so I can do a drive home and learn about the car. 

this just happened to come from 11 miles from  my doorstep. Lifelong owner by a woman in her 50s named Tara. 

from 189-current, maintenance wise what have you needed on your car ? 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/10/20 4:46 p.m.

This is my emergency backup son Chris' 2007 Si.  We found it last fall with about 160K miles on it for $4600.  It's got a low-crown dent in the hood, a few dings on the side, and some minor clearcoat issues that will probably be pretty ugly by the end of next summer.  So it's not perfect, but it's nice and would be easy to make much nicer.  It took us about three months to find this one--most are pretty clapped out, poorly modded, or way overpriced for their condition.

By the way, since hitches seem to be united us fan boys as well, Chris took the hitch off of the blue car since I won't need it and put it on his so he can tow his jet ski.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/10/20 4:50 p.m.
Carl Heideman said:

By the way, since hitches seem to be united us fan boys as well, Chris took the hitch off of the blue car since I won't need it and put it on his so he can tow his jet ski.

that is funny. The 8th gen Si fanboys with hitches club!! 

mine will tow my RZR to the sand dunes soon enough. 

I am sure I "overpaid" for mine, but as you said finding stock, mint, non modded, 1 owner cars are hard to find. I am ok with the price, end or the day that's all that matters to me :) 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/10/20 5:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

The original clutch lasted until about 210K miles.  It wasn't slipping but one of the springs on the disc cracked and it wasn't feeling right anymore.  I replaced the AC compressor.  Brakes, tires, one battery, and front struts (I think about 220K and they weren't terrible, but it just wasn't as crisp)  That's why I love Hondas--even with high miles they need very little except wear and tear items.

Oh, and sun visors like others have mentioned.  My daughter has a non-Si 8th Gen and all three of our 8th Gens have needed sun visors as noted above.  On both of the Sis, we're just starting to have some headliner sagging in the back as well.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/10/20 5:35 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

I am sure I "overpaid" for mine, but as you said finding stock, mint, non modded, 1 owner cars are hard to find. I am ok with the price, end or the day that's all that matters to me :) 

I'm not sure you overpaid for one that nice--maybe high retail.  As hard as they are to find, that one should have commanded the premium.  And finding one that close is pretty convenient.  People rarely take the travel costs into account when they're looking for hard to find cars.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/10/20 6:13 p.m.
Carl Heideman said:
mr2s2000elise said:

The original clutch lasted until about 210K miles.  It wasn't slipping but one of the springs on the disc cracked and it wasn't feeling right anymore.  I replaced the AC compressor.  Brakes, tires, one battery, and front struts (I think about 220K and they weren't terrible, but it just wasn't as crisp)  That's why I love Hondas--even with high miles they need very little except wear and tear items.

Oh, and sun visors like others have mentioned.  My daughter has a non-Si 8th Gen and all three of our 8th Gens have needed sun visors as noted above.  On both of the Sis, we're just starting to have some headliner sagging in the back as well.

Did yours have any CMC issues? A/C compressor seems to be a known issue. WOnder if its usage/years/mileage related. Would love a headsup from the car when its dying. Around here A/C is a must. 

Yes glad mine has the new sunvisors. Interesting the parts that fail. 

Appreciate the info

Carl Heideman said:
mr2s2000elise said:

I'm not sure you overpaid for one that nice--maybe high retail.  As hard as they are to find, that one should have commanded the premium.  And finding one that close is pretty convenient.  People rarely take the travel costs into account when they're looking for hard to find cars.

Agree, travel cost + Covid, etc, I am very happy with what I found, and ok with what I paid :)

czerka
czerka New Reader
7/11/20 2:05 p.m.

Here is the pic of mine with the chrome bit wrapped and the clear indicators taped over.  The wrap is starting to show its age, sooner than later I'd like to get the tint replaced and I'll see if they can replace the wrap at the same time.  The tape on the lights is frankly a hack job, but from 10 feet away I think it looks pretty good.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/11/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to czerka :

Thanks! Car looks great. I love the monochromatic look

went biking last night with mine 

still on first tank of gas 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/12/20 9:45 a.m.

Side note. Friend bought new Abarth last night . $10k off sticker 

came over to show it this morning. Then We did our 5am-7:30 am Angeles crest run

today was mclaren, gt2, amg E class. Group of 7 total 

Last run for the mr2, before it heads to new owners house on the truck 

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
7/12/20 11:36 a.m.
Carl Heideman said:

I've probably owned 300 cars and this one is in the top 5.

that's some pretty resounding praise and quite an amazing roster you've gone through.  can i ask what the other 4 cars in your top 5 are?  i have not had nearly the exposure to so many cars passing through my ownership so its interesting to hear some perspective about these Si's from someone who has seen a lot of everything.

mr2s2000elise said:

Last run for the mr2, before it heads to new owners house on the truck 

that's a pretty badass group of cars.  i figured by your username you'd have some kind of MR2 around.  planning to get another to take its spot? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/12/20 1:25 p.m.
ScottyB said:

that's a pretty badass group of cars.  i figured by your username you'd have some kind of MR2 around.  planning to get another to take its spot? 

Had 3 MR2. Was down to 2. Got $41,000 for the other one that I sold last october . 

After this leaves, one will stick around (95 turbo, 9700 miles, owned since new). 

next weekend my friend is driving my s2000, I will be in elise, and my brother bringing his 450 hp atom for our Sunday runs 

Monday we will leave for 3,000 mile fishing trip 

Number1Gaza
Number1Gaza Reader
7/12/20 2:20 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Rough life you got there

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/12/20 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Number1Gaza :

Thank you

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/12/20 7:44 p.m.
ScottyB said:
Carl Heideman said:

I've probably owned 300 cars and this one is in the top 5.

that's some pretty resounding praise and quite an amazing roster you've gone through.  can i ask what the other 4 cars in your top 5 are?  i have not had nearly the exposure to so many cars passing through my ownership so its interesting to hear some perspective about these Si's from someone who has seen a lot of everything.

I'd probably say the other four are E-Type, Elise, VW Beetle, Model T.   Honorable mentions are probably Lotus 7 and Honda Odyssey.  In addition to my own cars, I get to drive a lot of really cool customer cars.  I think I've made 5,000+  test drives in more cars than I could ever count. 

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/12/20 7:53 p.m.

Did yours have any CMC issues? A/C compressor seems to be a known issue. WOnder if its usage/years/mileage related. Would love a headsup from the car when its dying. Around here A/C is a must. 

Yes glad mine has the new sunvisors. Interesting the parts that fail. 

Appreciate the info

No CMC issues.  The AC compressor went at over 200K miles.  I hear people call them known issues but they seem to last way past 100K.  It seems like a  "known issue" with a Honda is anything that breaks only because so few things break.  I have a friend with a shop that fixes Hondas, Audis, VW, Subarus and Mazdas.  He doesn't do much more than oil changes on the Hondas and Mazdas.  

I will admit that 3rd gear syncho on the Blue car isn't perfect, but isn't a major problem either.  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/14/20 12:06 a.m.
Carl Heideman said:

I'd probably say the other four are E-Type, Elise, VW Beetle, Model T.   Honorable mentions are probably Lotus 7 and Honda Odyssey.  In addition to my own cars, I get to drive a lot of really cool customer cars.  I think I've made 5,000+  test drives in more cars than I could ever count. 

Funny, with the Elise and Si, I have your top 5 covered. HEHE.  E Type is my dream. V12, manual trans....ah..... I remember reading Brock Yates going to the "end of the road" with his wife in the E type ..road trip. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
97wfO1TvMUqHqNd0xyijjm6Zz70vk6xotupZ9vs6mtfwJdn3hNpii3bTDuB3CtHQ