9 10 11 12 13
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/6/20 7:01 p.m.

Something like this?

Painless Wire Wrap

For a variety of sizes and a slightly different look there's something like this;

Flame Retardant PET Braided Sleeving

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/6/20 9:12 p.m.

Found flame retardant versions on amazon after some searching.  I have 250 feet of it coming on Tuesday. Should look a little more OG.  Right now it's tons and tons of colors. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/7/20 6:41 p.m.

Ok wiring is almost done. Just the fuses box to mount, install the fishes and hook up the switches. I still hate wiring and my chart still sucks. 

also I was out of GRM stickers so I made some. Hope that is ok. 

Nader
Nader New Reader
9/7/20 10:56 p.m.

Cool project.  I would suggest outlining the meatball in 1/4" black strip to make it pop, and a more traditionally vintage font for your numbers.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 8:56 a.m.
Nader said:

Cool project.  I would suggest outlining the meatball in 1/4" black strip to make it pop, and a more traditionally vintage font for your numbers.

it feels wrong for me to agree with you based on our screen names

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 8:57 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

WOW that looks great! 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/8/20 9:09 a.m.

That thing is hawt.  I'm seriously in awe of your ability to put a project together this quickly.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/8/20 9:37 a.m.

So the numbers are just place holders. I cannot find a font that matches the original Porsche 50's version. I may have to take photos that I have from the 50's and flatten them and trace out the numbers to make them look right. 

I was going to hand paint the outlines for some of the sponsor stickers but it got tedious real fast and did not make that much of a difference . Plus they did not do it in the 50's so its kind of something I am not interested in following up with. 

So the very last mechanical parts shipped today so as long as my wife's book club happens on Thursday and they shw up it should be making noise in about 7 days. Then another week or so of getting things like the brakes primed and sorting out electrical issues and I can start the almost 6 month process of getting it registered. 

Still no word on when my race tires show up though. Also got a reasonable offer on the Viper which means I can do the rCR 917 next year starting around July if I wanted to do that. But getting an offer and getting paid are two very very different things. Engine has been located for the 917 at a decent price as well and it would give me time to fab up the LS7 turbo kit 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 9:48 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Still no word on when my race tires show up though. Also got a reasonable offer on the Viper which means I can do the RCR 917 next year starting around July if I wanted to do that. But getting an offer and getting paid are two very very different things. Engine has been located for the 917 at a decent price as well and it would give me time to fab up the LS7 turbo kit 

surprise

I believe I can speak for all of us here in saying, "Yes.  Yes, you want to do that."

smiley

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/8/20 10:34 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
wearymicrobe said:

Still no word on when my race tires show up though. Also got a reasonable offer on the Viper which means I can do the RCR 917 next year starting around July if I wanted to do that. But getting an offer and getting paid are two very very different things. Engine has been located for the 917 at a decent price as well and it would give me time to fab up the LS7 turbo kit 

surprise

I believe I can speak for all of us here in saying, "Yes.  Yes, you want to do that."

smiley

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1811-build-de-stroked-ls7-for-high-rpm-road-racing/

This is what I plan on using for the motor, or something very similar in build. Though based on the chassis and a few other things and the fact that I don't need a 600hp motor for a car that will weigh less then 1700lb's it may be LS2 based. That will make rebuidld easier as well and let me use normal oiling. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/20 1:28 a.m.

3/44 gears are in. New axle plate covers without cracks. Upgraded one on the ring gear side. Hydraulic clutch is in. Rear end is completely reassembled. Still need to hookup the emergency brake cables somehow. 

i am very very tired. About 10+ hours of wrenching. Had a axle shim plate pop out and had to do everything over again to fix that. Also the super diff works woo I guess. It's almost midnight here and my knees are killing me. 

no excitement except the new aluminum disk brake covers look great. 

much therapy cat needed pretty sure i sprained my index finger  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/20 2:20 a.m.

Budget so far.

FYI the cheapest Vintage 550 I have seen that is SB100 registered was in the mid 40K range and did not have all the stuff mine does like the wide 5's, OEM handbrake, bilstien shocks or the really big motor/transmission build. I figure it would run about 57-60K to have one built like this but painted "correctly" and you would still need to register it. I am so not selling but yeah this was a savings. I am having way way to much fun with this. The build on my motor/transmission alone would run close to 15K all in if you did it through ACE at list pricing.

Lets call it 30,000 as I likely am forgetting something in here. Still have some stuff to sell, still need to buy fluids and some more fuel line to get it perfect. Still need a few sensors and things like that. This does not include tax so add another 7.725% on top of this. Maybe another 200-300$ to go.

Deluxe Kit 19,000
Inc Gauges, clutch hydro, pedals, cylinders, fuel tank, wiring harness, windshield / carpet / trim / lights / setup for vw motor
Front suspension and beam 750  
Biller shift kit plus cables 1000  
Coilovers rear 650  
Full exhaust SS 750  
OEM repo handbrake 500  
Wheels 680  
Wiring supplies and switches 140  
Rear disk brake kit 350  
Throttle cable 40  
Front Shocks 45  
Mounts for oil cooler 80  
Steering wheel, turn signal, adapter 405  

JBugs +CB performance    
Adapter plates 65  
Brake lines hard 70  
Hardware 43  
Brake lines soft 44  
Drum covers 115  
Axle plate cover 55 Used
Empi mount hydro clutch 8  
Lug nuts 110 SS + lugs for 4 to 5 wide adapters
Scat oil cooler (BIG + Filter Adapter 235 Not here yet.
Super diff + Spyder gears 310 250 for superdiff, the rest for extra spider gears and new end gears used OEM

Craigslist    
Tires to check fitment and roll 100 Includes Mounting
Motor Transmission front brakes 3500 Free Car with motor. Took Battery, all the bolts, front brakes
Vinyl Cutter 70 Very used 60 + 10 in new blades came with ~100 years of 15 vinyl in multiple colors. E36 M3 vinyl
Short Axles / Bolts / Bearings 210 Venmo

Paint    
Rustoleum 117  
Ground aluminum 0 Leftovers from work
Sandpaper 3M 48  
3M pads 22  
Tape 25  
Paper for masking 14  
Transfer film for vinyl 34 2x rolls ~50% left
Mask Filters 31  
Rhino Liner 30 Half tube Craigslist
Clear Coat 45 Dupli Color + Matte pre reduced.

Extra + Pending    
Spare wheel 170  
Avon Race tires 910 Includes delivery not here yet but paid for.
Electrical fittings + knobs 106  55 for ignition switch alone. Still need fuses. All Bosch
spray glue 25  

Sale items    
Car Pan and Body includes seats -800  
Rear drum brakes -140  
Assorted items. -200 steering wheel, long axles and covers
Front beam -150 still needs to be picked up
tires from car -70 Sold on offerup

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/12/20 5:34 a.m.

wow. What an amazing car. The fact that you did it on that budget is pretty unbelievable. 

dj06482
dj06482 UltraDork
9/12/20 6:12 a.m.

Just caught up on this build. I didn't quite get what you were going for when you began the thread, but seeing the (almost) finished product, I get it now. You have an amazing ability to execute on a vision, and it's been a really cool experience to watch the ups and downs of the build as you progressed. The fact that you did it on a very reasonable budget is just amazing. Well done!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/20 2:19 p.m.

Fluids are in the car. It will make noise today I think. Still have not bleed the brakes so yeah got to do that and hook up the emergancy brakes as well. Then its just getting the lighting wiring donw and its a car. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/20 4:55 p.m.

It lives. Way to quiet with this exhaust though. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/20 5:41 p.m.

Congratulations! 

9/12/20 5:50 p.m.

Congrats! Can't wait for video

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/20 6:01 p.m.

I am astonished at how quickly you made this happen. Great job!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/13/20 5:06 p.m.

I am so DONE with this crappy wiring harness. I must be using 15% of the wires supplied and it is making the actual work of wiring the car a total cluster. So I am taking it out, breaking it down to only the wires I need and rerunning the whole thing. yues the car works right now but holy tar will this thing be a debocial to decode and trouble shoot in the future. i need like five wires from the rear of the car. NOT 28 different colors of purple that I cannot see under the dash.

Rant over sorry. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/16/20 6:26 p.m.

All done but electrical. I still cannot figure out the tail lights. Might start on the headlights next but that should be easy as there are no high beams. 

I need help here and I need it in person. need to make some calls or find somebody local who can do the work. This makes me feel so stupid. All I want are flashing run signals and taillights that work. 

9/16/20 7:56 p.m.

Wish I was close enough to help. I enjoy wiring stuff and I'd love to work on that beauty. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/18/20 8:14 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Wish I was close enough to help. I enjoy wiring stuff and I'd love to work on that beauty. 

Want to live free in California for a week.

So I have a big list of stuff like bleed the brakes and in true roadkill fashion its going on a cardboard sheet and then getting knocked out as much as I can this weekend. But its supposed to be 95+ again this weekend.

9/19/20 7:52 a.m.

Lol, any other year I'd be on a plane tomorrow. 

of the many useful things I've picked up from Roadkill, cardboard and sharpie lists is near the top. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/22/20 1:03 p.m.

Reran the wiring in the front tto a better position. Did what is one of my last orders of stuff. Little things like a long brake line to clean up the rear end look, battery ground straps, shift knob. (Going to make my own eventually out of wood). Getting real close. Confirmed my DMV appointment for October and apparently I get temp tags and plates right then good for three months. Wooohooo. Still need to get in insured. 

Still need to get a long brake lines so I can run the hydraulics to the clutch but that I can do later. I want a SS one that matches the other SS lines I used. 

Fighting the wiring still, it just is not clicking how to do it. ut right now my hands are so beat up from working on this and the rally car that my phone cannot even recognize my fingerprints. So going to take a few days to let they heal and let the blisters I have from lifting callous over as well. 

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G13bTjIvWpCOi1rdLhuGjGFGROv7Ac7mrad5uq6G8yNHrz1xRhG3W1t4Oi2uuQoj