11 12 13
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/20/20 10:43 p.m.
Shavarsh said:

I wouldn't call myself an expert. Do you have a diagram and fuse block? I'm perfectly willing to come through and spend a bit of time on it if you don't find professional help.

You are always welcome. Just need another brain so I can draw stuff out and get this in my head.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/23/20 7:18 p.m.

So I have headlights and tail lights and gauges. Wooo. Did some reading so now I understand power relays and how to wire them. 

Something is wrong with how I am doing the turn signals. I have power coming into the three wire array. I can have power coming out of the array andif I hook it up directly I get a strong solid light on the front. I put the flasher relay in line and nothing comes out the other side. I have tried three relays and all are not working. Blech. 

EDIT 

Never mind got it all working. It looks like a rats nest but I had a bad relay. Everything works now. Just need to tuck the wires and hide them and put the temp plates on and go for a drive this weekend.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/23/20 9:40 p.m.

If you have OCD look away. This physically makes me ill but it works and now I know that all the wires are long enough that I can cut them to fit when I have a chance. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/23/20 9:59 p.m.

Love the seat color, and that steering wheel gives me the warm tinglies.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/24/20 5:07 p.m.

All cleaned up and hidden in the frunk. I am building a spare tire mount up there as well. not like I am going to be using this for an overnight car.  I will get a video up soon of a drive. 

I put the thunderbird plates on it and went for a 2 mile drive after a few false starts with the brakes binding up on one of my fancy aluminum covers on the front. 

• Holy forking shirt balls is this thing fast. 
    • I had the seatbelts on for the first time and iut feels much better being strapped in. 
  • It feels even faster then it is going as you are so close to the ground. 
    • My fear of not being seen is likely overblown. I had two people actually pull over to get out of the way. 
  • I need better tires.
  • The brakes are so overkill its not even funny. At ~1/4 my normal brake throw they are locked up. 
    • It brakes straight and true but when it slides on lockup its going where ever you had it pointed. 
  • It is about as stiff as my R8 with the sport suspension active. 
    • So its stiff but its so light it gets pulled around. 
  • If you do a clutch dump it will go straight, not sure if both tires are spinning. 
  • There was ~1/4 inch of fuel in the tank when I got home using my fancy wood fuel rod. Just starting to sputter when I got home. 
  • My alignment is cross eyed and I can still turn to the left sharper then I can the right for some reason at parking lot speeds. 

I am also pretty sure I hit 6500rpm at one point for a very brief second. This motor spins, its alway way overkill for the car and the driving I am going to do. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
10/24/20 5:27 p.m.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up man. Congrats. Good luck with adjusting things.

That cockpit is wild the way you sit with your legs through an opening in the structure. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/24/20 5:33 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Getting my temp plats in about a week. Then year going to do a shakedown driving up the coast. 

WOW

you got sb100 alresdy ???!! 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/24/20 5:53 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
wearymicrobe said:

Getting my temp plats in about a week. Then year going to do a shakedown driving up the coast. 

WOW

you got sb100 alresdy ???!! 

I had all but one of the documents when I went to the DMV, they told me that I should be getting 3 month temp plates when I pay the taxes next time I am in. Then I need to verify the motor is not stolen and have the CHP do the inspection then another appointment to get the VIN stamped on the car and my paperwork. But I can drive it while I have the three month temp tags apparently. Things could change next time I go in though. 

It seems like the DMV is much happier to do the SB100 this round. They were much faster and knew what I was talking about. 

The one thing I am not sure of is if I need a headlight inspection cert. That might be a pain in the butt as I am not sure exactly what the requirements are. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/24/20 6:19 p.m.

That's amazing! Good luck 

I have been dreading the sb100 getting in line in January - for an impending Atom purchase 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/6/20 4:39 p.m.

So SB100 not so bad. 

I have paid my registration and the taxes on the parts that I used off the old beetle and that I bought on Craigslist. The taxes I paid on the kit were at a higher rate then San Diego so nothing to pay there. They gave me a temporary operation permit to do the things I need to do and I will get a 90 day paper tag once it is all done while the plates ship. I ordered the black ones. 

Left to do. 

I need to get my headlights inspected. IE they have to have sealed beams and my brake lights and turn signals have to work. 

The DMV confirmed that my motor was not stolen and then the CHP has to sign off on the car and apply the VIN. 

I need to get my insurance docs in the mail with my new cards. 

Then I get my tags and plates. 

My car has the vin "33" right now as they had to put something down to get the paperwork started and that is the chassis number. The DMV laughed at that for a while but the system took it and it was good enguoh to move forward. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/7/20 8:29 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Touchy brakes can be really annoying, and things can get ugly quick if you get caught in the rain. I'm here if you want to brainstorm options.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/7/20 2:10 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Touchy brakes can be really annoying, and things can get ugly quick if you get caught in the rain. I'm here if you want to brainstorm options.

The backflow 2 psi valve that I added and tightening up the brake stop has made them perfect. I think what little I am feeling now is the lightweight nature of the car and the horrendous alignement I did with string. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/7/20 3:05 p.m.

Rolling Rock 33

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/7/20 9:21 p.m.

Caddilac sold today. If the viper goes in the next three months I am going to drop the hammer on the 917k as the next build. If I do that I think I am going to let the thunderbird go as well to clear some space. 

Insurance says I am covered as of Monday morning 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh New Reader
11/7/20 9:38 p.m.

yeehaw!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/8/20 5:33 a.m.

Awesome. I can't wait to see the video. I'm glad you cleaned up the wiring, that first photo was giving me twitchy fits. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/29/21 9:17 p.m.

82 days and no updates?  cheeky

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/29/21 10:10 p.m.

I guess he's having too much fun driving it to post an update. cheeky

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
2/12/21 8:27 p.m.

Does a kit car have traditional  alignment shims?

11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5DVM2DGbfchbcFo12edScKg2ggfmW2ltybsZpfFPtC5bW0DXmwhPt7BYMCT4p5LV