1 2 3 4
GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
8/14/19 9:12 p.m.

Ha, I got my 1986 TRX250R by trading an 1989 S-15 Jimmy with a bad transmission in 1997.

gumby
gumby Reader
8/16/19 8:58 p.m.

Tires mounted. I also made it through the BMV and the insurance branch! I'll take the small victories today yes

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/16/19 9:41 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Oh, this is going to be Good!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
8/17/19 6:58 a.m.

I legitimately miss Indiana's BMV. It's so friendly and efficient compared to other states. 

gumby
gumby Reader
8/18/19 9:29 p.m.

Rear shocks, OE from 1997, junk. Quad shocks completely useless, like blown out ALL oil, rods flopping around in the cases.

Oh, and the rear springs....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/18/19 9:31 p.m.

So did someone heat them or what

gumby
gumby Reader
8/18/19 9:49 p.m.
Patrick said:

So did someone heat them or what

That's what it looks like to me. frown

gumby
gumby Reader
8/21/19 10:41 p.m.

a'ight, so this is not the budget hit I wanted, but it is likely the one I deserve for trying to turn someone else's abandoned project around on a short timeline.

These springs are a bit of experiment after coming up empty in my stash of parts looking for another pair of TurboCoupe coils to hack. Searching thru the Moog catalog by dimension and pigtail configuration, I found a p/n with a spring rate equal to TC coils, a load rating similar to sn95 'vert springs, and a shorter free height....sounds like an economy drop coil. devil
Original application? K-car wagon, LOL. I got them installed tonight, then pulled them back out to whack half a round off the top, killing just a bit of rake. Initial impressions are good.

Related only in the fact that it also showed up today, a shifter spacer!

Lesson learned. I installed the aftermarket shifter that came with the car, and the gearbox locked up. WTF mang? Some google told me this can happen with certain T5 shifters on the T45 trans. frown
I found the spacer available to remedy the situation, but NO ONE anywhere mentioned how thick the damn thing is. I had to buy it instead of make it. If my budget gets tight, I will swap this out for a $0.15 piece of aluminum scrap. The answer is 0.090"

Next up is an alignment. I dug these out of an old box under the workbench. They have been in my possession for ~14yrs and I have never owned a sn95 car to put them on. Hoping to have them on the car and aligned before autoX on Sunday.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/22/19 8:42 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

LOOKING GOOD MAN! I am excited to see it at the competition and talk about the build. 

gumby
gumby Reader
8/22/19 4:46 p.m.

Achievement Unlocked: Set off the alarm on a Carolina squattin’ bro-dozer with my exhaust at my son’s away football game

gumby
gumby Reader
8/24/19 6:42 p.m.

Well berkeley me, this E36 M3 sucks. She done

The guy in the Escalade turned left in front of me, abruptly crushing my Challenge dreams. If you need me, I’ll be crying in my beer, but at least I am not hurt bad and I have lots of beersad

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/24/19 7:03 p.m.

Damnnnnnnn

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/24/19 7:17 p.m.

Dude. Duuuuuuuude. 

Dude. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/19 7:33 p.m.

That blows. Hard. 

Anything up front salvageable to swap into another shell? 

And dont be me. Don't  "man up, it dont hurt that bad" and wind up with permanent damage that could have been corrected if i actually went to tje doctor instead of truck shopping. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/24/19 7:36 p.m.

I mean, I still have the crappy V6 that literally nobody wants for any reason............ 

Dusterbd13-michael
8/24/19 7:42 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I mean, I still have the crappy V6 that literally nobody wants for any reason............ 

Im almost certain that this could be the parking lot build for a good cause this year. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/24/19 7:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Im almost certain that this could be the parking lot build for a good cause this year. 

Shell has no title. It would be a loooooot of work for a car that couldn't be road driven. I could certainly pull the motor and trans and throw them away and bring the empty shell. 

Dusterbd13-michael
8/24/19 7:51 p.m.

No title? And i read back through the start of this thread. Apparently it was meant to be a parts car after the challenge. 

However, im game for a parking lot build....

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/24/19 7:53 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Dude that blows so hard. I have a 94gt here on jack stands. Good frame. Its a shell. Waiting on the title. If you want it for free dollars its yours. But you have to come get it. Luckily a lot of the work for stripping it for your stuff is done. Swapping everythong from that car sounds like a lot of work but its truly at most 12-18 hours worth of work at most. The only issue with my shell that i can think of is the windshield is cracked. 

gumby
gumby Reader
8/24/19 10:22 p.m.

Dang, you guys are a bunch of Busters heart

Yes, this was purchased as a parts car that could be used for shenanigans before disassembly. As such, it seems silly to do anything beyond accelerate that schedule. 12-15yrs ago, I would have been all about figuring out how to get this pile to FL and merging it with another shell, but at the moment that really just sounds like work and I wanted my Challenge trip to be about fun. So thank you for the offers, they really show what kind of people you all are and make me want to get to FL all that much more.

Patrick did offer to loan me his Q45 as well. I said no initially, but some reflection on the situation may be in order. I need to get my BIL's truck out of my shop and off my conscience. I am moving that to the front burner and will continue to ponder my paths forward while I replace his rocker panels and deal with the insurance company on JAM.

A borrowed car is always faster....

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/25/19 12:16 a.m.

...If you bring the drivetrain and rear suspension, maybe we can RWD swap my Probe in the parking lot.

I'm kidding...mostly...

That blows chunks, though.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
8/25/19 9:22 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

makes sense. Im sorry again. My other option js if you wanted to compete was to borrow the wifes challenge car as she js constantly flipping back and forth if she wants to compete  She is all about helpong me with mine more than working on her own. Another option for you to ponder lol

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/25/19 12:54 p.m.

Ugh. That royally sucks.  I was lookin forward to hearing how it and you did today!

officially was it his fault??

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
8/25/19 2:02 p.m.

Nooooo! This was such a score! Take care of yourself, get checked out.

gumby
gumby Reader
8/25/19 7:01 p.m.

I appreciate the feedback as I ponder. I think I will keep this thread alive thru the process, simply for a place to vent or throw things at the wall and see what sticks

surfshibby07 said:

In reply to gumby :

...borrow the wifes challenge car...

Another option for you to ponder lol

Would this be an arrive and drive type situation? I could easily bring my wheels and tires to Gainesville....

I commute an hour plus to most autoX venues; today was no different. After tossing all my autoX stuff in the truck last night, I left out early for an hour of alone time. Within this hour, I came to a couple realizations and formulated a (somewhat)reasonable plan. Unfortunately the success of this plan has many contingencies, a few of which are currently out of my control. It goes a little something like this:

• JAM was intended to be a parts car
  • These parts were destined to end up in Bluebird to get me thru HRPT next year
  • I still want that to happen
  • Bluebird is a $300 insurance buy back - lots of budget to play with
  • JAM is about to become a $0 parts car.....

The contingencies:

• I have to finish my BIL truck. Mentally, I need a project to get finished and LEAVE. Any project!
  • I cannot touch JAM until insurance settlement is complete
  • I cannot determine that the engine is 100% unharmed until I can start disassembly of JAM
  • Time is going to become a major factor for completion

IF the timelines cooperate, and IF the required parts are not all busted up, I can feasibly make Bluebird my Challenge car. BUT this is a lot of IFs and maybes, and hurry up and wait. I suck at hurry up and wait. That's why I bought JAM in the first place, you may recall.
So I ask the Hive, has anyone zeroed out a parts car using an insurance settlement check? Additionally, has anyone used an insurance zeroed out buy-back as a parts car to build another insurance buy-back Challenge car? Would be a helluva Cinderella story.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T2COU5d500jPdaAWW89VHwrJABttMNdeaFeIFWkQUJxoKknBxpIKgjQhag4bMBXN