artur1808
artur1808 Reader
12/5/19 6:28 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

However this rally never came to be due to the intense snowstorm they canceled the event, so for the season I placed 2nd in Open 2WD in the regional driver championship. 

Still one hell of a season if you ask me! Did you think you'd be running as many events as you did when the season started? Stoked to see where the car goes in 2020. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/5/19 8:28 a.m.
artur1808 said:
fidelity101 said:

However this rally never came to be due to the intense snowstorm they canceled the event, so for the season I placed 2nd in Open 2WD in the regional driver championship. 

Still one hell of a season if you ask me! Did you think you'd be running as many events as you did when the season started? Stoked to see where the car goes in 2020. 

Yeah I just wasn't ready for it to be over. I had said in January if sno*drift goes well I will make a competitive season out of it, and take it 1 event at a time and low and behold the season led me from Jan to Dec basically. I never thought I would do this many events in 1 year. I figured I would do 2 or 3 but for 2020 there will be less racing - need to catch up on a few things then figure out which events I will participate in. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/5/19 1:42 p.m.

here you can see the old mounts, these steel collars were starting to egg shape the mounting ears, did a quick drive to work today through the worst roads I could find, so far so good. maybe some small clunking still but the bottom mounts are still the spherical style. 

now the car is ready to drive and nowhere to go. Will start tearing into the rx8 soon and likely use its guts for the next engine on the rally car. I need the transmission from the rx8 for this car anyways as this one is starting to wear out. 

Meanwhile with this fixed for the most part I can continue my rear brake saga and slowly work on the exhaust. 

first parts off the printer! was able to sneak this into another job and do some test fitting:

they are close but way off, I need to make some diameter adjustments and I will re-print in plastic and test fit. These were made out od 316L stainless steel, I may potentially print these in aluminum for the car itself or deal with the mass hit on SS. Ideally once this is complete I can bolt on the 300ZX rear calipers and then match a corresponding motorsport brake rotor so I can get the right offset and then I'm home free!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/16/19 2:27 p.m.

geez, I thought the 3d printed metal would be a big hit but obviously this thread needs more LS swap lol. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
12/16/19 2:29 p.m.

More ej20 swap?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/16/19 2:41 p.m.
EvanB said:

More ej20 swap?

less plz...

or make a great video on how to make 200hp unrelaible... 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/16/19 3:43 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

geez, I thought the 3d printed metal would be a big hit but obviously this thread needs more LS swap lol. 

No, f'real, color me really intrigued.

Those look a lot like the bits I would need to put Wilwood calipers on the FC front knuckles.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
12/16/19 5:44 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

I'm watching!  This is good E36 M3.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/28/19 3:23 p.m.

I need to learn how to 3D model... I now have access to metals and plastics since the company I work for bought a plastics/prototyping company out in California... Its very hard to rely on people to help me out on this and like welding aluminum, im 100% out of my leauge. Plus I need to buy a computer, I haven't owned one in  many years because I always get one through work (laptop) and the hardest software I run is internet browser, excel and outlook lol.

but meanwhile I made lemonade out of lemons for a better first step. I will make this more complicated and funky looking with some lattice structures and ways to lightweight it and etc. 

I just cut it up and welded it back together where it worked, its not optimized and I wanna incorporate the ABS sensor hole for an anchor/shear attachment point for a belts and suspenders approach. 

rodknock
rodknock Reader
12/28/19 3:53 p.m.

Ooh I would love to mess around with 3D printed metal. Is it a sintered metal powder process or something more exotic? 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
12/28/19 7:32 p.m.

How can you be certain the 3D printed is going to be strong enough to hold brake calipers?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/30/19 8:46 p.m.

In reply to bruceman :

its not the front brake caliper bracket? 

I'm hoping the design is overkill regardless of the process for manufacturing via metal. I will use use the thicknesses they used as a guideline. Luckily the 1 bolt of the caliper is a direct fit and no modification is needed. Bugatti has a 3d Printed brake caliper on of their cars. 

This stuff was made via the laser sinter process. 

CJ
CJ HalfDork
12/30/19 10:09 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Good Luck! Were all counting on you!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/30/20 12:56 p.m.

Well I got my plastic mockup piece finished for the brake project, the problem has been finding a rotor that will match up with this combination so likely this idea may get shelved and I have to pony up for some radial mounted race brake setup...

But I still have some 3D printed work left and to tweak the design a bit further on the exhaust project:

I ended up going to a more modular setup because it will be cheaper and easier to print but give flexibility for the future (maybe a 3 rotor?!?!)  these are tapered to exactly a schedule40 pipe which has an ID of 2" so then making a header from here will be easy and from that making an entirely new exhaust system (minus the muffler). 

The modular port now has EGT ports too so I picked up a 2 channel controller so I can monitor EGTs with the haltech and use it for tuning support:

next up is design a 2 into 1 collector with nice taper for the other end of the exhaust and hopefully put all the pieces together!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/30/20 1:10 p.m.

So while the exhaust project is on hold and corona giving everyone forced free time I managed to work on my S2 rx8 gearbox swap and revised transmission mount: which needed to be done to support the exhaust project in the long haul anyways. The old mount was making the transmission sit at a bad angle which caused some vibrations and leaks which I would like to avoid, plus the later rx8 gearbox shifts better and has slightly tighter ratios so should be a good improvement overall. I managed to order just a pair of bushings and made the rest of the mount out of scrap steel I had laying around from other projects.

this will work for both the s1 and s2 gearbox as they both attach to the PPF in the same way. I'll have to snap a photo of the original in comparison,  I won't be saving any weight with this but it should be indestructible.  

instead of a 1 piece design I had prior this has a PPF attachment that bolts up to these chassis brackets, sloppy yet effective.

Once I get the S2 transmission in and re-test fit I can burn in these tack welds and have a fully functioning piece. 

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
3/31/20 6:19 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

Nice work, looking forward to the finished product. Did those bushings come with the metal sleeve and grese fitting? 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
3/31/20 9:10 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

yeah they do! I came across it accidently on a FB advertisement actually (ballistic fabrication) - I'm pretty sure these are for leaf springs shackles, my other idea was cut up a pair of old shocks and use those eyelids for bushings. I don't need these massive bushings for this but it was about 35 shipped so I figured why not. 

I have to re-do my brackets for the chassis side as the S2 gearbox sits differently due to the overall size the mount attachment brackets need to come downward about .5" 

measure twice and cut once right?

do'h 

but look at this thing! its far beefier than the S1 rx8 trans:

vs the s2 chonker - 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/1/20 2:47 p.m.

fun fact, the slave cylinder bolts up better with the s2 gearbox compared to the s1. No need for washers, its the right height and alignment to actuate the throw out bearing. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/9/20 10:55 a.m.

2 steps forward and 1 steps backwards, the transmission side of the transmission bracket is good but the chassis attachments are very crooked. too much free time with quarantine time means I've just been lazy and I might have made these parts with 1 too many adult cigarettes...

uhhh, transmission is a bit crooked....

The whole "lets build it 100% out of scrap steel" idea was a sloppy approach from the start.

that driveshaft is supposed to be a lot more in the middle... and also requires some adjustment to the exhaust to clear the suspension, luckily this exhaust will be tossed out soon as progress on project exhaust "2.0" continues. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/20 3:11 p.m.

Got the mount fixed and the transmission aligned better so afterwards its up to modifying the trans tunnel, i removed the old cover which was thin aluminum and replaced the area with a nice thick steel plate because the yoke is right there and if there is a u-joint failure I want less of a shrapnel bomb by hand if possible. I also took the downtime to give a better boot setup so the rubber in place will be more useful instead of just a crown royal bag there. 

needless to say I went with a larger crown royal bag and modified the rx8 shifter boot (rubber) to fit into the rx7 chassis by welding together some more scrap steel. 

the switches are for the cool suits, I didn't like the wiring through the floor (how they were prior) so I made it work for the cab better with a little bit of thought. 

a bit of silicone to help keep the dust down on stage and always have to keep the wood shift knob.

if anyone is doing an S2 transmission swap into an rx7 (or anything) the grey connector is for the reverse switch if you want to keep backup lights on the vehicle. 

4/20/20 9:36 a.m.

Transmission mount is done on both side so I took a test drive, needless to say victory burnouts were in order...

5/25/20 11:55 a.m.

well here we go down the rabbit hole again, this time fuel tank exploration... the easy answer (is expensive) and that would be fuel cell with all the hookups and etc fully race baffled and whatnot but thats just not in the cards so in efforts to curb fuel starvation I have this fancy hydramat setup to try and maximize best of both worlds. 

The 20b pump is too tall to fit but the spare walbro isnt. Each one should be fine for power levels. I wonder how/if the tune will be affected...

I have 2 gas tanks to play with. The first one in the car can use the 20b pump w pickup and the in tank "sump" is still installed.

The second tank has the factory "sump" removed to fit the holley hydramat using the walbro pump but it needs to be cleaned first.

Both pumps have an aftermarket 3/8" hose barb to pump attachment that seems kind of loose on the tolerance side but a better fitting push lock spacer may hold it better however it may not matter since the pump and downstream hoses/fittings can easily be attached with zipties or hose clamps for added retention so they both score kinda equally mediocre in that area...

they both seem to fit too loose but I'm going to try a few different of these washers: the one provided doesn't fit my pump it falls off with gravity:

The other thought I had is if the submerged pump is higher up on the sending unit assembly, isn't that bad for the pump? but then again should it not matter as the hydramat is going to be like a fuel reservoir where all the fuel comes from anyways? Im not suggesting to tank this pump and make it external but still. 

I will test with low fuel at Grattan next weekend if the tank can be cleaned and some threads repaired in under a week... sometimes i berkeleying hate race cars because its a slippery slope of money hemorage and no real gain. 

balls.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/25/20 11:59 a.m.

The Hydramat is the bee's knees.  The pump will be fine.

Yes you lose some theoretical cooling but the main cooling comes from the fuel flowing through the pump itself.  That is how external pumps cool.

(says the guy with a fuel pump overheating problem... The fuel lines to the pump vapor-lock!)

5/25/20 12:26 p.m.

I've heard lots of good things with the hydramat so I'm curious to see how it performs, it makes a lot of sense! I saw the 30x14" and was tempted on it but fitting it in there is one thing, (it seemed feasible) but fitting it in there AND attaching it to the pump is another thing...

6/3/20 10:34 a.m.

Didn't get a chance to try out the hydramat setup as the tank had not been received in time for the open track day but boy, that s2 gearbox feels amazing on the track. I'm excited to see it out on stage now when it gets up to temp it shifts like a dream, real crisp and the 3rd to 4th gear is a little tighter so it makes for better higher speed transitions better instead of dipping out of the torque range. 

Tank came back cleaned up and I had to do a touch of spray paint and I'll get it swapped later this week in preparation for a rallycross on the 12th then the weekend after that is the next race, Central Upper Peninsula Rally! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1TgPBdpbh0MAZ1LoJXYmLDxSiOPoMKePUt2zR2SCgJaTD2vPqKr4EQU2afjH1WJR