13 14 15
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/16/20 3:07 p.m.

long story short, it works but its not going to work. 

with having the stock sump cut out once you accelerate the fuel all goes to the back of tank where it cant get sucked up by the fuel sock. If you have a hydramat the SIZE OF THE TANK it will work but the cost of these hydramats just jumped from 250 to 600 and not too far from that price is surge tank territory, so this is a bust. I had to put to the unmolested tank back in and clean up the sending unit (fix another leak). The other issue is that this inlet and stack up of fittings and hoses + the size of the pump doesn't work out to well because this makes the whole system too tall and causes the inlet on the hydramat to be squished to the tank floor so it doesn't do a good job of sucking up volume of fuel because its inlet is jammed to the bottom.

so all in all like most things I do, it was countless hours wasted and money down the drain just to end up exactly where I started from, well berkeley me I guess for having an idea.

oh and quick update on the brake caliper adapter, it is a failure. I need to do too many custom things and brackets and spacers and its just going not going to work out so that idea is scrapped, moving towards a wilwood lug brake if possible. 

7/9/20 9:11 a.m.

on the otherhand, some things do work!

Inconel 625 exhaust manifold time!

and Central UP Rally was a blast! a sloppy awesome blast! Lots of new exhaust leaks and dents so this will be a much needed change. 

7/24/20 12:11 p.m.

muhahahaha

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/24/20 12:39 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

berkeley yes!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/24/20 12:48 p.m.

Wait, isn't inconel the stuff that is damn near impossible to melt? Like rocket nozzle stuff? 

Were you MELTING exhaust manifolds? If so, you are my new hero. 

7/24/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

this is specifically inconel625. (BIIIG THANK YOU TO NONACK! for the modeling help)

This is rocket/F1 car tech type material a super alloy that can withstand 1000C of extended duration, we also can do inconel 718 which is better, (lighter, stronger, better heat/corrosion resistance) but costs more and we don't do much 718 at work, 625 does the trick for our applications that need the properties of inconel. I think this design as is will be plenty capable in 316L, (which would cost a hell of a lot less) there is room to optimize this further by cutting the weight down but I don't know enough about the science behind and simulation software to figure that out, I may be able to one day through work but that may be a while. 

I was not melting exhaust manifolds but I was using mild steel header and its been rusting away and flaking, even with the wrapping it just heat soaks everywhere, the trans, floor/body and especially the intake manifold. I have seen it cherry red though before from some dyno events lol. The floor and inside cabin area has bedliner throughout for protection, it has melted this before on numerous occasions by the co-driver footwell where the exhaust runs near. 

this is straight out of star wars! lol

Next steps? polish the ID and then take vehicle to my friend for custom exhaust, the whole thing goes in the garbage but the muffler and we start from scratch. The plan will be re-do some of the underbody and this way the exhaust will be thicker walled (and jethot ceramic coated) and can be placed in-between the underbody protection and the chassis itself. 

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
7/25/20 1:12 p.m.

I was following until the last sentence about the exhaust being between the underbody protection and the floor. 

what is the underbody protection made of? Seems like sandwiching it like that would just trap the heat and cause the same issue of hot floorboards. OR melted underbody protection. 

artur1808
artur1808 HalfDork
7/25/20 1:12 p.m.

Also, the 3D printed inconel is bad ass! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/26/20 8:36 a.m.

Yeah, the exhaust heat needs to be freed!

Hell even with no panels to lock the heat in place, I can feel the transmission shift stiffer/worse from exhaust heat, and the fuel pump doesn't like it much either.

7/27/20 8:18 a.m.

thats why the outside will get ceramic coated, cut down on the radiant heat that would usually just soak the cabin. 

underbody is made of HDPE it takes quite a lot to melt it (mapp gas test) 

none of the pro's have exposed exhausts:

this would be the goal. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/27/20 8:33 a.m.

None of the pros are running a naturally aspirated rotary either smiley

Seriously the EGTs on a modern race engine, especially a restrictor motor, are really low...  I have heard of some as low as 800F!!  They can't get more air in so they work to minimize how much heat gets thrown away.

There is probably a wind tunnel effect also, where the radiator exhaust gets blown down the middle of the car.

Ceramic mostly looks good.  Ceramic coated headers glow red and orange just like uncoated.

7/27/20 9:56 a.m.

There already is a lot of shrouding and underbody I'm just tired of the exhaust dragging on everything but then again its a rally car, and exhausts get beat the E36 M3 up. even if its higher up and doesn't get covered it will be an improvement. 

I was thinking along the lines of this: 

https://www.jet-hot.com/offroad/

13 14 15
Our Preferred Partners
lzysauEzBM72ht6m9aDL8qvwEc9UutZp87qwXrCPgoYIOiO6ZgzN4WzqLhrDsZ9s