8 9 10
Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/25/20 8:00 p.m.

Rusty has made the ultimate sacrifice.  Drivetrain pulled, brakes pulled, wheels replaced with 13" trailer junk, just have to un-snake the wiring for the wideband and that's that.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/25/20 9:27 p.m.

So sad, but, the car had already past its prime before I got my hands on it.  

The guy who bought the car off the showroom was the founder of NICO Club Forums (Nissan, Infiniti Car Owners Club). It was then sold to the founder on Q45.org, who did the manual trans conversion and more. After a long run, it was sold to a guy in Dayton who mostly seemed to add a stereo and subwoofer box to the trunk and maybe some sketchy other additions. Best of all, he was a smoker!  

When I bought it, one tire was flat and the battery was dead.  The guy had taken a job installing paint equipment into Chinese factories and was out of the country a lot. I bought the car on a Dec 30 while the guy was in US for Christmas visit. It was a memorably cold and sleet-filled day in overpowered rwd on crappy tires. 

9/29/20 12:56 p.m.

Yeah the rears were wasted.  Rusty is on its way to the big scrayard in the sky(or Reed's salvage in grafton).  Missed the photo opportunity as he was leaving.  My scrap guy will split the weight with me on stripped stuff or give me more for cars with converters.  So i got $75 and am happy it's gone and it isn't worth my time or taking my truck through the metal infested tire destroying scrapyard

sold:  clock spring $80

strut tower bar off good car $40(going to clean up Stillen bar off rusty for good car)

Diff $300

not good that i hoped was good:  tokico blue struts and lowering springs, adjustable rear tubulars upper control arms.  Filled trunk with a couple junk wheels/tires and stuffed as much scrap as would fit in the interior.  

kept:  wheels, brakes, engine, trans, spoiler, driveshaft, muffler, stereo, innovate lc2 wideband setup, electric fuel and oil pressure gauges, clutch pedal, cluster, nitrous system, hvac controls, ecm, and a few interior smalls to ebay. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/29/20 2:27 p.m.

I thought that engine crane looked a tad industrial/rental......how many days left do you have?

9/29/20 4:07 p.m.

18, but will likely extend it another month.  Seems like it will be insanely handy to lift up the pallet of roofing and that's not scheduled to be ready till the week after the rental is up.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/29/20 8:34 p.m.

maybe they'll forget about it (wink).......err that never ever happens ........enjoy, seat time is therapeutic I've heard .....(after spending the afternoon on the 4410).....late

10/28/21 11:09 a.m.

Getting the Q ready to button up for winter.  Today i fixed a power steering leak, topped the fluid, burped it, and have good feel again.  Pic with the street cred Stillen front bar installed 

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
10/29/21 10:47 a.m.

Sweet ride!

I am still dreaming of a VH swap in a Z car. I love those engines. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/29/21 12:40 p.m.

You probably have one of the nicest Q45 still running. I'll still never understand the intake manifold. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/29/21 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Was just thinking the same thing and scratching my head!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/16/22 4:36 p.m.

Today:  working on timing chain guide update.  One was broken.  

the berkeleying kit didn't come with new longer bolts for the new thicker guides, supposedly the local nissan dealer will have 4 bolts for me tomorrow.  

also cleaned mouse nest out of the blower fan and put the 16" O-Z wheels that were put onto the car in 1992 back on, because very soon the car will be moving to a new loving home in Florida, possibly as soon as next week

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Long live the Q45! 

How many miles are now on this 1990, first year car? 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
2/16/22 6:07 p.m.

What prompted you to check the guides out......scary noises?

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
2/16/22 7:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

DANG! Had I known the thing was for sale... I'd be all over it. My dad's green car may be dead but if I'm understanding this thread correctly it's drivetrain is in the white car? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/16/22 7:28 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

The drivetrain is under my welding table.  This one is all original, and it's i believe a tick shy of 80,000 miles.  I didn't intend to sell it, but a friend fell in love with it and asked me for a price and to be perfectly honest the Q45 being around will keep me from finishing the 57 chevy or the Wartburg because it's fun enough to keep me occupied.

Buyer requested I change out the guides on his dime, because he's going to DD it for a while, so while it ran fine it's one of those things where you take a great engine from ticking time bomb status(obviously this one with one guide broken already) to bulletproof.  

Looking forward to this thread staying alive with the new owner, who i got to join GRM a few months ago

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
2/16/22 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

So awesome. Glad another nice Q45 will be here in FL

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
2/17/22 8:53 a.m.

I'm just happy you will soon get to focus on things I want to see more of.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/17/22 5:15 p.m.

Back together and smoother than it's run in my possession.  Local nissan dealer came through with the right bolts before lunchtime, got it back together, filled cooling system, warmed it up(after sealant cured for the required time) and it's appearing good to go.  Will make sure coolant is burped but it stayed right at halfway like normal and stayed there, heat works great with the mouse nest out of the fan, 16's back on.  It's a quick vacuum and load the spares in the trunk away from being ready to load on the trailer.

heading to NC wednesday, staying with michael Wednesday night, picking up new owner Thursday morning at airport, and heading home Thursday afternoon.  Putting new tires on trailer monday or tuesday.  Very thankful that I put a new head unit in the truck last week to replace my dead factory one.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 5:31 p.m.

Such sweet sounds!  Since its not cutting out at 6,900 my guess is it is still wearing the ECU that's tuned to 7,400 and brings on the vtec sooner. 

That's a lot of spins in a V8

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/21/22 5:37 p.m.

Took it for my last drive today to put in some fresh 93.  Running nice, filled trunk with spares, and loaded for Wednesday 

Q45 for Kuma.  Oil pan, brakes, tow dolly, misc for Michael, wheels and radiator for stampie.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/23/22 10:22 p.m.

E36 M3box trailer tows like a champ with new tires.  Crashing on Michael's couch, truck got 17.1mpg towing down from ohio.  

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
2/25/22 12:53 p.m.

You know? There's a lot of symbolism here bringing a car from Ohio down to Florida. But to hell with it. The Snowbird (the Q45 has a name now) has finally retired to sunny Orlando, Florida. Turns out bothering a good friend about their car enough times leads to cool things. 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
2/25/22 12:56 p.m.

Also formal introduction

Hi, I go by Kuma, I live currently in Orlando and I've been into cheap cars since forever. I've owned a 03 Corolla, a 87 MK3 Supra Turbo, a 88 MK3 Supra Turbo, a 88 NA MK3 Supra (it was a phase okay), a 95 Avalon, a 95 4wd 4Runner (another phase I'm glad I got out my system) a 03 G35, and now a 90 Infiniti Q45.

I may be a Toyota kid. Just a little...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/25/22 1:03 p.m.

Awesome to meet you, and glad it was safe and smooth travels! 

And probably way more fun than the Prius....

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma New Reader
2/25/22 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Man, this car ate miles like a champ. 100 miles felt like 20. Resale protector (stuck odometer) kicked in twice but sorted itself out. Doing the stereo this weekend cause driving without one hurt my soul deeply

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
njB3Us1HUZBzeKbWYIGeQUBPFbePmDw4CETmGTgsKZNxJHOcFXaTOkNybrIAhll3