1 2 3 4
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/16/22 7:14 p.m.

I somehow knew just by the company involved, that was exactly how that happened before I watched the video. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/16/22 9:30 p.m.

Are those quarter panels as solid as they look? I expected much worse. Maybe repo panels?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/16/22 9:42 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I saw one dime size bubble of rust and it was on the trunk IIRC. Now I didn't go over it inch by inch but Brett Murphy commented several times how solid it was. Once we get home I'll look closer at the panels and for rust. From everything else I saw it'll be clean original stuff. Anyone need a 65 V8 5 lug conversion kit?  Front and rear including power steering parts.   Good shock towers. Can deliver on the way south along 95.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/22 10:08 p.m.

Duster's truck is far too clean to be used like that. 

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
4/16/22 11:13 p.m.

Classic Mustang gas tanks (and many others of the era) are super sketchy. One good hit in the rear...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/17/22 6:15 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

We take every reasonable precaution to keep it nice, but its still a truck.

Also, stampie had his checkbook ready if it went wrong. Tailgate, bumper, taillights were the only things at risk.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/17/22 9:43 a.m.

I was sitting here waiting on Lil Stampie to get ready and I remembered I had this. Made me smile as I think it's the first Toyota key I've owned. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/17/22 9:54 a.m.
78CobraII said:

Classic Mustang gas tanks (and many others of the era) are super sketchy. One good hit in the rear...

One good hit in the rear and what? Car turns into a fireball and everyone dies?

I've heard that dumb rumor since I've owned my Mustang and for decades I've searched for any news story stating that a classic Mustang turned into a fireball after flooding the cabin with fuel.

I've never found one story.  Not one person showing insurance records with that happening.  Plenty of people relying on the rumor to say its unsafe, but not one independently verifiable claim.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 7:25 p.m.

In reply to 78CobraII :

Most cars back then had those rear fill tanks. Never heard about them blowing cars up at the time. Then the pinto got a rep. for being a fireball waiting to happen, for having a rear fill tank. Lots of exaggerated info in all of that. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/17/22 8:30 p.m.

Today Woody made me look like I was smart.

We agreed to sleep in this morning. That means I forced myself to keep going back to sleep until 7:30. For Lil Stampie that meant I had to force him awake at 9am. 

We checked out of the hotel and after giving all the straps a good look over got on the road. We were only a block from the interstate so quickly started our first speed test. I knew I was loaded heavy and we were trying to balance the bed weight with the tounge weight so that we hit the happy middle. 

We failed as I started feeling sway above 45mph. Nope not doing 430 miles at 45 on the interstate. So we pulled off at the next exit which just so happened to be spkorb's exit. Lil Stampie and I moved Suprang up about a foot and went back out onto the interstate. 

This time I got to 55 before getting sway so I decide to pull off again. We get on what seems to be a little side road to do more adjustments. I figure we need more of the bed weight forward and we needed to move Suprang forward just a little more. 

Our quiet little side road turned real busy as I guess a church down the road let out their Easter service. A couple of people were obviously checking out Suprang or maybe looking at the dumbass and his kid. One guy rolled down his window and asked what year it was. I told him a 65 and when he said he guess it as a 68 I said "Well you know it actually has a 68 gas cap on it but we're going to fix that."  Thanks Woody, I got one of those few moments in life where I looked like I knew something. 

So we unload half of the bed and reposition it all then move Suprang forward. Back on the road and I hit 60 no problems. I figure that's a good bare minimum speed to get home and we're off. I inched the speed up little by little until I find that 65 is the sweet spot.

We head down 95 getting into to SC when I decide lunch is a good thing. Pull into an Zaxby's drive thru and sit waiting in line. Say a few cuss words as the first car is taking forever to order then they pull forward. Next car is taking forever so then it hits me. Got Lil Stampie to get out and look ahead. No cars. The berkeleyers are closed. Note to the Zaxby's in Manning, SC put a damn note on your drive thru if you're going to close for Easter. I tried to warn the other 7 cars in line but only one guy rolled down his window.  Cookout next door gave me food. That's all I needed. 

Back on the road we tear down 95 into lower SC, GA, then FL.  We keep forgetting our gas station picture so right before home I took this one. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/17/22 8:55 p.m.

I miss Cookout.  Its a good fastfood place.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/17/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

This one was E36 M3ty.  Guess it was Easter and all but we walked in and there's a lady filling the lobby tea and no one behind the counter.  We wait and wait and wait.  After she fills both lobby tea urns she says someone will be with us shortly then walks away.  Few minutes later she walks back complaining that she has to pee and takes our order.  I understand needing to pee but damn do that instead of tea and then take our order first.  Maybe I'm just grumpy.  I have a drink, out of whiskey, doubt that'll help.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/17/22 9:30 p.m.
Stampie said:

Today Woody made me look like I was smart.

One guy rolled down his window and asked what year it was. I told him a 65 and when he said he guess it as a 68 I said "Well you know it actually has a 68 gas cap on it but we're going to fix that."  Thanks Woody, I got one of those few moments in life where I looked like I knew something. 

Try standing next to me sometime and people will find you more attractive too!

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/17/22 10:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

We take every reasonable precaution to keep it nice, but its still a truck.

Also, stampie had his checkbook ready if it went wrong. Tailgate, bumper, taillights were the only things at risk.

Our extremely precision engineering engineering and safety precautions were inspired and foolproof.  wink

The recovery strap has a working load of about 5x what the Suprang weighs and it was around the rear subframe. Getting it down the hill was easier than getting a vehicle unstuck on the Outer Banks, but I did have some anxiety around having friend's vehicles get banged up.

78CobraII
78CobraII New Reader
4/18/22 12:13 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

OK, not going to argue with you. But it is a racecar, so it should at least have a firewall in the trunk.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/18/22 12:18 a.m.

In reply to 78CobraII :

I agree 100% and one of my first thoughts.  I have aluminum sheet that'll make a nice firewall there.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott SuperDork
4/18/22 7:43 p.m.

I remember seeing a "60 Minutes" show about 25 years ago that talked about the classic Mustang and it's willingness to catch fire in a rear-ender.  They showed some slow-mo video of crash testing, and gas pretty much sprays the entire passenger compartment.  They even interviewed a young lady who was horribly burned in such an accident.

I love a good classic Mustang, and if it was mine I'd plate over the gas tank with sheet-metal.  I'd probably fill in the firewall as well.  Or add a fuel-cell.  Or all of the above.  These mods seem to be pretty common.

Sweet car, overall.  I am very much in favor.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/18/22 7:47 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

An extra tank along with an extra lot more was included.  His thought was to use the extra tank as a bracket for a fuel cell.  It is wide open between the tank and the rear seat which isn't there.  Like you can look in the door window from outside the car and see the gas tank.  First up is a good firewall to close off the human flesh compartment from the gas needs to stay here compartment.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/19/22 1:28 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Not saying it never happened to a pinto, mustang or any of the tons of GM cars with rear fill gas tanks. And I had been in to such cars, since they were 90% of what was driven on public roads. Just saying the reality was not like the hype, started after the pinto. 
I remember the 60 minutes episode. And the poor girl that got burned. But was just as likely to happen to a ton of different cars... but gotta pick on one for ratings. 
Now talking race car? Stamps know the right way, for all the right reasons!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
4/19/22 4:19 a.m.

I'm still nerding out over early Mustang stuff here and it occurred to me that an A-code non-GT is fairly unusual. The build date was probably post '64-1/2 but still fairly early in the true 1965 cycle.  It likely  pre-dates the Pony interior option too. 

Not that a Suprang isn't far more unusual, but...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/22 11:09 a.m.

Very cool and very happy to see the car again. 

DaleCarter
DaleCarter New Reader
6/3/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The Pinto's problem wasn't just the rear-fill, but, also, bumper bolts which would pierce the tank in a rear collision. The MAIN issue was that Ford knew about it and sold them that way after, literally, doing the math on costs of $11/car to fix the problem vs the cost of verdicts. After journalists and Federal agencies pursued Ford over the deaths and injuries caused, a recall was ordered and a shielding kit for installation at dealerships. A local dealer here got MASSIVELY sued for charging for installations, but not performing them. For some reason, that franchise changed it's name shortly after.... :-)

PS - this also affected Mercury Bobcats, but so few were sold nobody remembers them :-)

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/3/22 1:12 p.m.

Let's get some updates on this that aren't actually talking about Pintos.  Any progress on Suprang?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/3/22 2:34 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

You know stampie had bought like eight cars this year, right? 

Im not sure if hes moving forward with any others than the c3 right now. Probably because its the closest to done. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/3/22 2:56 p.m.

Duster:  I'm aware that Stampie has made some changes in his fleet, yes, but I wanted to try and get this thread back on track and away from Pintos.  The Suprang is cool and I figured I'd ask in hopes that there's something happening here.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aY7DqDJsgCsJ4wejfqG2VgGJktYg8hwnouq3WYrbuh4DT7LQcvcX22tqk5iuaBys