1 2 3 4 5
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/3/22 3:14 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Fair enough!

For what its worth, the suprang has some incredibly well engineered and over built front structure.  We wrapped a strap around it without fear. 

Its such a neat car, with a neat history. It'll be fun to see come nack to life. 

My vote is that he uses the 351 from the model a project, and the 15x9 wheels with 245s, leave the patina orange, nitrous, and do a kinda roadrace rat rod. On a half challenge budget. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/3/22 7:05 p.m.

The Suprang got moved around last weekend in our excavator clean out the back yard project.  Lil Stampie and I talked and think Suprang will be our Challenge focus for this year.  For the record I've bought 5 cars this year but they were all cool.  I'm picking up the last of the 5 in a couple of weeks then it's Suprang time.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/3/22 7:14 p.m.

HolyE36M3......when I saw this upside down on the rotisserie .....amazing on the rear susp install!!! Ok, Stamps what gearbox with the 351 are you looking at? Who in J'ville will take care of the driveshaft? Could you use this on hill climbs.....or is licensing/registration a game changer?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/3/22 7:18 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Slow down there hoss.  So it's keeping the 289 in it for now.  Whatever SBF it ends up with will keep the W58 Toyota trans that's in there now.  Any SBF under the 351W block will split it's block about at the same HP that the trans is good for.  Driveshaft is good as it's all set up for SBF as is.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/3/22 7:27 p.m.

Sorry  brah wasn't aware(er didn't read the fine print?) as to the history on the remaining mechanical tidbits that came with this.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/6/22 8:54 p.m.

I tried to find the hill youtube video and accidently found this.  It's cool so now it's here.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/12/22 12:01 p.m.

We zeroed out Suprang today. Hopefully start wrenching soon. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/12/22 4:24 p.m.

And because Woody is a peer pressuring bully.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/12/22 4:36 p.m.

Nice work!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/12/22 4:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

The Suprang got moved around last weekend in our excavator clean out the back yard project.  Lil Stampie and I talked and think Suprang will be our Challenge focus for this year.  For the record I've bought 5 cars this year but they were all cool.  I'm picking up the last of the 5 in a couple of weeks then it's Suprang time.

I want a turn or two around the auto-x course if she is available 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/12/22 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That shouldn't be a problem. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/12/22 5:36 p.m.

I need to get a helmet

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/12/22 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I do also.  Mine is expired now. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
8/16/22 4:52 p.m.

Ok so Woody was right this time. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/3/22 3:00 p.m.

Hey how we comin' along y'all?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/5/22 11:18 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Today was the deadline to get started. 

First order of business was figure out battery. To do that we unpacked the trunk. We found a C4 bellhousing that I forgot about and told a CL buyer that I didn't have.

It seems to be made of aluminum. I need to look up it's numbers and see what it's worth. 

Next we found a W58 bellhousing. I guess this came off the spare W58 transmission that is in the parts stash. 

That gave us access to the battery area. It didn't come with a battery box so I grabbed the old Q45s box. 

The two side mounting holes line up with holes already in the trunk. The lower mounting hole will need some work to level it out. 

Taking a break now and charging the battery. We'll need to put new ends on the battery cables. I also need to ohm out the cables. I think the alternator feeds back to the battery so that the cut off switch works correctly. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/5/22 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

There's at least two superchargers trade value in the carb spacer alone!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/5/22 3:11 p.m.

Did some checking and the second low gauge cable goes up to the front and grounds at the same place as the starter. I might be wrong but that means the cut off switch only cuts off the battery and not the alternator. A quick look and I think I can use the same cable to feed the alternator back to the switch. We decided that's a job for future us as it means nothing if we don't get Suprang running. 

We went and bought some battery cables and hardware to hook up the lawn battery. To do that we needed a ground out back. So the first thing I did to Suprang was drill a hole in it.

In tightening up the ground bolt I found the hornet nest that stung Lil Stampie back in the Spring. 

Got our cables in.

Hooked up the battery.

Flipped our battery disconnect and turned the key.

That was our goal for the day so rest time. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/5/22 4:47 p.m.

HEY!!!! where's the stinkin' shop vac for cryin' out LOUD?????!?!????

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/5/22 5:12 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

We're not pretty boys.  That was the as bought condition.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/5/22 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

In your  situation,  I'd have reached for a can of ether.... just sayin'

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/5/22 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

There's several things to check first.  Plan is to hook up the boat tank.  We need to check the oil.  Also the coil is disconnected with a I guess temp coil just laying on the intake.  I'm not a Holley man but I think it has a double pumper on it.  Need to figure out if it's any good or not.  Oh yeah need to make sure the Nitrous solenoids work cause that's fun stuff.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/5/22 6:10 p.m.

and an air filter....

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/6/22 10:16 a.m.

Wow, this is amazing. I cannot wait to see this. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/6/22 10:34 a.m.

Receipt dump from yesterday. I'll try and do a budget later today. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jp1XVUemKK01PfMeqM1I3b5oQdpvCJoTQGYV8pvSdr9PEjk5oBU8cn8uWu2Bbu6e