3 4 5 6 7
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/9/22 11:15 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I thought you just put it in a vise with an appropriately sized Allen key to create the proper crimp when they're that big.

Freiburger has some way to do it that looked super simple.  Can't remember it now.  Semi-recent episode of Roadkill Garage, I believe.  FROD build maybe?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/9/22 11:33 p.m.

I thought you just put it in a vise with an appropriately sized Allen key to create the proper crimp when they're that big.

Well now I want to make a video of how easy it is to do with the proper $20 tool.  I think I'll need to do others in this build.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/10/22 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If it's helpful to you, I've got a YouTube channel.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/10/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Well... if I was a true GRM'r here, I would have said harbor freight for the $70 hydraulic crimper, which I'm going to buy soon. Or I'd whip out the more expensive temco version off Amazon. If you want a solid beyond solid connection, you squeeze the E36 M3 out of it. It's also challenge free.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/10/22 11:50 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Freiburger has some way to do it that looked super simple.  Can't remember it now.  Semi-recent episode of Roadkill Garage, I believe.  FROD build maybe?

Freiburger made a crimping tool from a nut splitter. You just blunt the chiseled end.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/10/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Thats it.  Gave a nice clean crimp.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/22 12:09 p.m.

WooHoo! DeadSkunk is posting again! Dude, I'm so glad you're back!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/10/22 12:10 p.m.

Nice to see you posting again.  Thanks for brighting my day.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/13/22 5:53 p.m.

Let me explain to you why I'm slow. So the smaller studs on the solenoid were missing nuts. Easy fix just get new nuts. 

Saturday I calibrated eyeball it and get #10 26 nuts. Nope they don't work. Sunday I figure the next size up is #12 but no one uses that so I grab 1/4. Nope too big. Yesterday it was raining so I head to Ace Hardware and do a wtf look at the shelves. Surely it's not #10 32?  Grab two wait until today with no rain to try them out. That's how it takes me four days to put on two simple nuts.

Time for gas. Set the temp tank in place.

Ground the fuel pump. 

Hook fuel pump to positive.

I did one last ohm check to make sure I didn't have any shorts to ground and hit the cut off switch. Turned on the fuel pump and waited a bit. Pumped the carb, notice no gas and tried to start it. 

Tried that a few times. About the fourth time I pumped the carb I got fuel on the front so that made me happy. Still no start. I recorded videos each time but I'm not going to bore you. 

Finally I got this. 

Said berk it for the day. Did do some quick checks with my VOM. Got 12 volts to the coil although it looks like a resistor on the firewall. 

This shows you why I'm not totally confident about the spark condition. 

Not sure if I'm going to berk with all that or just throw a HEI conversation distributor for Ford in there. I have two sitting here that I grabbed last year. You can take the boy out of the GM but you can't take the GM out of the boy. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/13/22 8:27 p.m.

I want to find a weekend to crash on your couch and wrench on all of your horrible E36 M3.

This is all meant as a compliment!  Haha!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/13/22 8:31 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I do have a lot of horrible E36 M3. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 5:25 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 6:03 p.m.

Sorry had to unload the trailer for a trip tomorrow.  So I decided to berk with the stuff on Suprang.  Been hitting it 30 minutes or so each evening after work.  Heat is down but the damn mosquitos are a PITA.  Popped the disturbor cap and the points and everything in there looked brand new.  Check the points and they had continuity.  Yesterday I tried the bottom coil and nothing so I got out the ohm meter and checked it.  Primary was 2.1 ohms and secondary was 7k ohms.  Accel gives the specs as 1.4 and 9k.  Grabbed a new coil yesterday evening and still no go.  Was thinking at work and said berk it I'll straight wire the coil.  Ran a 14 gauge wire from the terminal block I put in last week straight to the coil and got what you see in the video.  There's no switch right now other than the cut off switch.  I can't find a dipstick to even check the oil so that's why I didn't mess around getting it to run longer.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/15/22 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's a challenge car... no need to know how much oil is in it. When in doubt, change it out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/15/22 6:52 p.m.

You could drain the oil and fill it with the 5 quarts and an extra half quart for the filter?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 7:47 p.m.

Yeah that's the planish.  I'll give a better look to just make sure I'm not missing the dipstick.  Big thing will be wiring.  How do I get the minium going for the Challenge and keep brakes and headlights without a full rewire.  Whiskey will help me think.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 8:31 p.m.

Just got word from Sean that early front cover and later 5.0 pan means we're dipstickless.  Kinda fitting for Zebra Butt Racing.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/15/22 9:50 p.m.

DUDE get the freekin air hose and blow theE36M3 outa whateverthisis.....!!!!!!! does your house look like this?????   Yo mr clean freek is in your mess......BWaHaahahaaaa..........not I aint got no leg to stand on bro

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 10:06 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

You sound like the doctor in the 1800s that would put a leech on to remove the bad blood.  Get it running and driving.  Then focus on the details.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/16/22 6:02 p.m.

This morning I drove down south to visit Fladiver and grab some stuff from the old Q45 before it was crushed. I think Suprang will get some of it's old body harness. Think I'll cobble together something to get it through the Challenge then revisit it afterwards. Who am I kidding. I'll leave it as long as it works and bandaid it when it doesn't. 

Also we sanded down the paint under the battery negative. That's it for the day. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/2/22 5:39 p.m.

Haven't updated in a bit because I think I've been spinning my wheels. 

I decided that I needed to get Suprang in the drive and up on cribbing. That'd let me do all the mechanical stuff. I went to move it and the brakes are locked up on two wheels. I think I got it 2 feet and then said berk it. 

This weekend I go to order brakes for it and can't find front calipers. I swore I saw them on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Did a post on the main page and Mr_Asa found a link to using 87/88 Cressida front hubs which allow me to use the stock Cressida brakes which are available. Added bonus is they are ~ half inch larger.

Link to big brake upgrade.

There's only one in the yards here in Jacksonville so I went today. 

This is our Cressida. 

Front hubs and dust shields just in case. We won't talk about how I totally forgot to bring my 30mm socket and had to go back home to get it. 

$66 gets me a free to budget big brake upgrade. 

Right now I have about $600 in brake parts sitting in various carts. It's hurting my cheap ass to check out but maybe after a beer or two I can cry away my tears and do it. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/2/22 5:44 p.m.

Not running is an inconvenience. Not stopping will kill you.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/2/22 5:55 p.m.

I wonder who has the high score on Things-said-or-posted-that-directly-contributed-to-a-car-arriving-at-the-Challenge.

I know this helped you, and I know of one other competitor that I talked with that is bringing Car A instead of Car B because of the discussion.

Anyways, glad to help!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/2/22 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah yesterday Lil Stampie and I put a deadline of Wednesday to figure out a brake solution or it would be Plan B car or C or D even.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/2/22 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's good to have options. 

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aJQMleAXUaX6ci3EHPRwrrqPM0jPoD1pj90G4COJZay2KerGBOVArLQrSMnOZZ2S