1 2 3
Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/27/23 7:28 p.m.

First let me say that this is californiamilleghia's fault.

For some reason lately I've been explaining why I buy what I buy. This started in the summer of 88 when Grandma Stampie tricked me. I had moved in with her that summer but the school out where we lived didn't offer the classes I would have taken that year. That meant a private school downtown. She gave me the choice of two different schools but made the point that one didn't have a track team. That was a deal breaker for me as track was the only thing I was good enough at to hide my nerdiness. So without any further information I chose the school with a track team. Little did I know that I was going to be surrounded by all the rich kids in town. When you meet a kid there you know where the family money came from by their last name. It would either be the same name as one of the large local companies or one of the multigenerational political families. 

One of the kids in my class had a second gen CRX with the whole Jackson racing catalog throw at it. Cool car and he wasn't that bad for being a rich kid. Every once in a while he'd drive his mom's BiTurbo to school. Yes that's right, a running driving brand new BiTurbo. One day he shows up in an old open sports car. He tells me that it's a Devin. I'm pretty sure he said Devin SS but all I know was it was pure sex. It was part of his father's collection.  

Fast forward to a six years ago and Patrick got his Panhard Devin.  That stirred up a lot of my old teenage lustfulness. I've seen his a few times in person and every time I go up there he lets me spend a few minutes with it. All that was a tease really because I really wanted my own Devin. 

Enter californiamilleghia's post above. Once I saw it there was no question. I talked to californiamilleghia and got the seller's contact information. Talking with the seller it seems this is an "S" sized body but he based that off his memory and was a little iffy.  He said that he bought it in Texas and a friend trailered it down to Florida for him. He was going to put a 50s hemi in it but it wouldn't fit. Said that the shop it was at closed but a mechanic from the shop was storing it for him. He didn't have any pictures.  I did some research, decided that I was cool with whatever size body it might be and called him back to complete the deal.

I found myself in the post office sending off a $500 money order to a guy I didn't know that said he owned a Devin body being stored at some dude's house with no picture proof and I was laughing. It's been a busy month so tomorrow is the day. Right now I'm at an Airbnb about 20 minutes from the mechanic's house and will pick it up at 9am. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/27/23 8:17 p.m.

No comment until you come back alive ,  what kind of beer did you buy him ?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/27/23 8:56 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

My girl likes crown peach...I just drink Budweiser....

So Crown Peach and Budweiser it is. I did make sure that my liquor store knew it wasn't for me. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/27/23 9:34 p.m.

You're really going to need to buy a bigger place....

californiamilleghia
3/27/23 9:39 p.m.

Make sure and ask him what other treasures his customers have hidden ,

If he has been there a long time he knows where all the bodies are buried  !

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/27/23 9:46 p.m.

This is gonna be rad. 

Did the hemi cone with it? I'll buy the hemi....

californiamilleghia
3/27/23 10:02 p.m.

The Hemi is probably at the owners place , Stampie is going to the shop where the body is stored....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/27/23 10:51 p.m.

In to follow this one. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/23 9:45 a.m.

Refresh... Refresh... 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/28/23 10:04 a.m.

Remember that one time I tried to buy a Devin?  I've been outside this guy's locked gate for an hour. He's not answering text or calls. I'm going to give him another 30 minutes. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/28/23 10:27 a.m.

Aw E36 M3.  Hope the deal goes through! 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/28/23 11:02 a.m.

I'll update later today. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
3/28/23 11:10 a.m.

Wow, that fiberglass is so thin I can see right through it!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/28/23 11:41 a.m.

HD burban for the sketchiest tiny trailer ever. I love it

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/28/23 11:48 a.m.
Stampie said:

My girl likes crown peach...I just drink Budweiser....

So Crown Peach and Budweiser it is. I did make sure that my liquor store knew it wasn't for me. 

Standards have to be maintained, obviously.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/28/23 12:22 p.m.

This morning I text the dude that I was heading his way. No response. I get there a few minutes early and see the Devin sitting behind a tractor. First thing I said was "Oh no!"

I had been told that it was all stored and covered. I text him at 9 that I was at the locked gate. No response. At 9:30 I text asking if he was ready. No response. At 10 I called. Voice mail. At 10:30 I text that I was leaving. Now I'm meeting up with Kuma to get Miata wheels for Lil Stampie and then I'll drop the trailer off in Gainesville on the way home. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/28/23 12:56 p.m.

Oh no! Is right. Dang man.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/28/23 1:23 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the wasted journey, but that looks like a potentially lucky escape if it's been stored like this.

californiamilleghia
3/28/23 1:24 p.m.

Sorry man , did you call the owner of the body ?

he may have had an idea what bar the shop owner hangs out at ......

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/28/23 5:16 p.m.

I got a call from the guy at 1:30pm.  He starts off with "Well you know how I told you I work for the department of corrections?"  No no you didn't.  You've text me four total sentences and this is the first time we've talked on the phone.  Anyway he says that he's on their SWAT style team and he got called in at 2am and just got free.  Said I could come by but when I told him that I was hours away he asked me if I wanted to try again sometime.  Told him that I'd think about it.

So here's my problem.  I've been thinking lately that I'm too nice.  I can be an shiny happy person and have been in the past but I'm just too accommodating with other people.  I always try to put myself in other people's position to try and understand.  If I were him I would have text me at 2am and said hey I'm sorry but just got called in.  If you can wait these things usually don't go over 12 hours or whatever.  I also would have started the phone call with damn I'm sorry.  Anyway tell me what you guys think.  I do have a call in with the seller to see how long it's been stored outside like that.  If I go back I think I'll see if the storage guy will take pictures closer up.

californiamilleghia
3/28/23 5:31 p.m.

I would never go on a long distance deal without talking to the guy on the phone that I was meeting  , just to get an idea where the deal is going .

Text messages often do not go thru , but I am sure at least one of yours got thru and it was rude of him not to reply and fill you in , 

Hopefully you can get it sorted out....

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/28/23 5:48 p.m.

Oh forgot to say that he told me when he's on duty they're not allowed to have personal phones.  Doesn't mean he couldn't text me at 2am to let me know though.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/28/23 6:53 p.m.

All for ditching, but you did send him money right?

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
3/28/23 7:03 p.m.

If I was on a SWAT team and got a 2AM call to arms, I'm not sure sending a text to someone about a car that has been sitting for who knows how long would be in my top 5 concerns.

If you still want a Devin, just make sure someone can get you to the car if you go back. There aren't a lot of them out there.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/28/23 7:18 p.m.

Did you confirm that the pile of fiberglass behind the tractor is indeed the Devin? 

i hope this has a happy ending. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q2DbNghIzsf97iWxregQHCXHNhlr5pk7TYhtL1fD64ZNDRI6pBxrWviaG3bdBPdC