nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/12/20 1:47 a.m.

SOLD.

The time has come for me to give up on this one.  My plate is to full and we bought a class C.

1971 Westfalia.  

The good:

Low rust, windshield frame appears good, minimal rust underneath.  5 New "Supervan" tires.  Incredibly complete, interior is in pretty good shape.   1971 so removable apron, early motor style.  It's a true barn find.  Went into a barn in 1987 when it died on the interstate, has been outside for about 3 weeks total since.  All glass other then windshield is good.

The bad:

Doesn't run but cranks.  I've not really looked into exactly what is wrong.  I removed the apron in prep to remove the engine but that's all the further I got.  Needs paint, body is in some kinda primer.  Right rear corner has a dent by the taillight.  All the rubber is 50 years old so don't expect miracles.  Cracked windshield.

Overall it's a motor swap and going through the brakes away from being a good driving restoration.  Realistically a strong VW mechanic could probably have it running in a weekend.  Or strip it all the way down and it's a very solid shell for a full restoration.  

I have a VW/Subaru swap kit that I could work out a deal for.  Just the adapter/flyweel no motor.  

Located Mahomet IL.  

SOLD bye bye Juneau.  You're in good hands.  Sorry we didn't get you running.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/12/20 1:52 a.m.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
1/12/20 8:55 a.m.

Wow. I had one of these in college. Bought it from a tv station for $300. It was wrapped with vinyl and had that 70s show on one side and Dharma and Greg on the other.

I rebuilt (turns out I didn't do a great job) the engine for my mgb inside it while it was parked at the dorms. Also the wind gusted up to nearly 100 mph one night and ripped the top off - it was closed and latched down, not up tent style. After that I had rope tied around the whole thing just holding the top down.

My roommate took it to the mountains to go skiing with his brother and they crashed it, but after bending the front bumper out with prybars they drove it home.

When I sold it for $500 a few years later I thought I was doing pretty good.

My favorite part about that vehicle was a sticker some previous owner had put on the steering column that said "warning: close all windows above 140mph".

Ah memories.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/21/20 10:41 a.m.

Let's try a bump.  Super difficult thing to get a value for.  They are all over the place on the internets

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/21/20 5:45 p.m.

Hi

its not a 1973 , its a 1971, 

it has the upright 1600 motor ,  1971 was last year for that in USA

and that rear panel comes off , 1971 was the last year for that ,

1971 was first year for disc brakes.......

What do the front floors look like when you pull up the rubber mat ?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/21/20 5:58 p.m.

Your right it's a 1971.  I knew about the cutoffs that made it somewhat unique/desirable but I had the year off.  I just looked at the title to confirm.  Thanks for the poke on that.  I had 73 on my brain as that was the year of one of the MGs I had and guess I just jumbled it.  

I will check the floors under the rubber tonight.

If someone could edit the title I would be appreciated.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/21/20 6:08 p.m.

Floors aren't to bad.  I pulled Both seats and all the rubber (all adhesive has stopped working at this point so the rubber is still in good shape just needs reglued).  Both sides need about a 3*6 area replaced and the area around the seat belt anchors.  The edges of the pan are good minor rust on the passenger side drivers is pretty good.  

Are there any other "trouble spots" I should take pictures of to help people understand the condition.  Nothing I see is too scary to me from an ability of repair vs wholesale replacement of panels but I may be delusional.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p3pouMp35DZDXQNWgS1f0SfItF5vMYnLb5bkXPdeTG7Ccw6doNxUfZbKkNPbRibT