billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
3/24/22 7:23 a.m.

worth some bucks... 

1974-mazda-rx4-coupe-mazda/

128racecar
128racecar Reader
3/24/22 11:10 a.m.

The following comments will sound sarcastic, but I mean them in all sincerity. I owned several RX2s in the 70s and 80s, and have always been intrigued by the crazy market for the RX2/3/4/Cosmo.

1. The frame and body are shockingly solid. My first RX2 had terminal frame rust after only 5 years (in 1978) and 20,000 miles in the Midwest.

2. It is fairly complete. This is not to be overlooked, as parts cars simply don't exist.

I am a fan of these cars, but even I am perplexed at the market for these. It's not clear if the scarcity of these combined with the demand (especially from the the Japanese collectors) is what drives the market, but nonetheless, they disappear quickly. The last early rotary that I commented on here was claimed to be overpriced, but sold almost immediately after being posted. I anticipated the same fate for this one. These seem to disappear quickly, even at prices I think are wildly optimistic given their condition. I don't understand it, but that has been the market for some time.

Just realized this car is located only 20 miles from my in-laws in the Chicago area. Thank god I have COVID, and won't be out of isolation for another week.

johndej
johndej Dork
3/24/22 11:12 a.m.

Yeah I'd love to have this as a project.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/24/22 11:13 a.m.

My main concern would be the fairly complete part - sounds like two large body panels might need repair or replacement and if it's the latter, as you said, good luck finding them.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
3/24/22 11:40 a.m.

Probably not coincidence that this is also listed in the same town. Sometimes it is more fun to just look at what cars are in the background of the pictures listed.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ctd/d/montgomery-1973-mazda-rx2-mazda-rx7/7460116525.html

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/24/22 12:40 p.m.

14 hours and still not sold? I am sure it will disappear sometime during the day today.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/24/22 12:54 p.m.

My parents had a couple of RX4 when I was a kid. They're not one of the more common spinny Mazdas.

Isn't it the same body as the 929 of the era? Might be a source of panels. I mean, it's not like they're littering trailer parks or anything, but at least it's an alternative :)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/22 1:32 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

14 hours and still not sold? I am sure it will disappear sometime during the day today.

To drive from Philly craigslist to Chicago would take nearly all of those 14 hours...

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
3/26/22 1:01 p.m.

gone Gone GOne

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
3/29/22 7:33 p.m.

gone...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
72HcSmzIL1qwB3Nqox5hj2JTO8dUoqfs8s2wVBDQL1o22T6gTcdyyWvXHAQOwXZo