Crash1976
Crash1976 None
10/30/13 2:11 p.m.

SOLDSOLD** 1974 Toyota 18RG Celica

was$13,500, price drop to$12,500

Serious Inqiries Only Please There is just so much to list done during restoration, I'm sure I am forgetting some things I did/replaced. If you are serious, it's best to call me I tend to remember things as I recount them in conversation.

Over 100 additional photos at the links below.

I have spent the last 10 years owning, loving and restoring this car to the condition you see it in now. I first purchaced this car from a lady in Carlsbad, Ca around the first part of 2003. It was a rather sad looking pea green with a black vinyl top, an 18R-C engine and an automatic transmission. Through all the paperwork I was supplied I have concluded I am roughly the 5th owner and the second longest owner of all. The car spent the majority of its early life in the temperate climate of Washington state. It was sold new at what is now Buzz Rowland Toyota in Everett, WA. The salesman was Burt Applegate. I have the original sales book with his information as well as numerous recipts from the cars various owners over the last 40 years. I also have nearly all the recipts and logs from my ownership as well. The restoration was completed at approximate odometer reading of 99,200 miles making the current odometer reading of roughly 3,800 a reasonable clock for mileage on the new life this car received through it's restoration, the restoration has less than 5000 miles on it. A freshly restored beauty.

Drivetrain: The engine is the very sought after 18RG 2.0ltr twin cam variety with the factory dual 40 mm Mikuni/Solex Carburetors. This car was sold new in the US with the 18R-C single cam version. This engine is the correct Japanese spec engine this car was designed to have. The engine is equipped with an MSD 6A multi spark box as well as electronic distributor and Blaster 2 coil. In addition the Toysport/TRD headers have been installed and ceramic coated. The top end of the engine was just serviced with headgasket and valve adjustment about 3 months ago as well as a mild port match and port smoothing. Engine starts and runs very strong. Behind the powerful 18RG sits the robust W50 5spd transmission. All synchros and internals feel to be in excellent shape with nice clean shifts. The clutch, plate and throw out bearings are new since restoration New: -Water pump -Headgasket,head surfaced, performance gasket matched and int/exh runners smoothed. Vales adjusted. -Front/Rear main seals -Spark Plugs -Spark plug wires -Distributor Cap, Rotor -Alternator -Belts -ALL HOSES engine bay and interior heater related -Heater Vale OEM NOS (very rare) -Windshield Washer bottle and Pump -Temp sender-Fuel Filter -Cooling switch -Cooling Fan -Headers TRD from Toysport -Exhaust system -Top end gaskets, intake, exhaust etc. -Thermostat -Radiator recored -MSD 6A -Blaster 2 Coil -Flowmaster Super 10 muffler -Glasspack resonator -2.5 exhaust from headers back. -Clutch assembly,plate, bearing,disk -Clutch Master Cyl -Rear Wheel Cyl -Slave cyl -Master break cyl -Rear wheel cylinders -Stainless break lines -Front calipers -Front Pads/Rotors -Front wheel bearings -Starter -New OEM weather stripping throughout -Front Wheel bearings -Battery

Exterior: We started with a remarkably rust free car to begin with. What little rust could be found was expertly removed and then clean matching metal was welded in place. This is a completely restored rust free chassis and undercarriage.The exterior has had it's front and rear sidemarkers shaved as well as the side moulding and side badging. All new weather stripping has been installed. Many hours of body work were poured in along with thousands of dollars to achieve the beautiful lines you see here. Any body filler that may have been on the car has removed, metal expertly straightened and properly repaired. The car was completely disassembled with all glass removed in preparation for paint Finally the 2001 Mercedes Benz "Bahama Blue" paint was laid in June 2012. The wheels are Konig Rewind 15" wrapped in Kumho 195/50 tires and are also new additions to the restoration with roughly 4k miles on them.

Interior: The interior has been completely gone through. We have installed brand new upholstery on the front and rear seats, the 2 cracks in the dash pad have been addressed by installing the proper dash cap. The center console assemble has been restored. New carpet installed as well as period correct sewn headliner. One of the finer points on the car are it's rare and pristine rear interior C-pillar covers which are always destroyed on cars of this vintage. The rear deck was rebuilt and for a custom touch has had the two stars from the Celica Dragon's wings embossed into the vinyl, in addition two full range kicker speakers are installed that match the speakers in the front door panels. The Kicker speakers are powered by an Alpine amplifier in the trunk and signal is provided by a JVC media unit with Hands free calling and bluetooth connectivity. Everything works with the exception of the rear window defrost, it has power but the grid is inoperative. All gages work perfectly.

There really is simply so much to list I'm surely forgetting some. If you are at all familiar with Celicas of this vintage, the truest of the 1st generation you are quite aware of the level of difficulty in finding a good specimen for restoration, harder still is finding one that has this level of attention paid to it. One item of particular pride albeit a mundane item is it's heater valve. This car has had one of only a handful of truly new heater valves installed available in the world, great thing if you'd like a llittle heat in the colder times of year. I have loved and will continue to love this car even after it's found it's new home. I am readyto move on to other projects and let another individual enjoy what I've spent so long building.

If you have any questions, if you have ny reservations about this vehicle I invite you to contact me and I am happy to speak with you at length. The car is available for sale locally and is available for viewing, testing and inspection by apointment.

Additional pictures can be viewed at: Celica Pictures Build Pictures here: Celica Build Video Here: Celica Video

Contact Cody: (Eight 1 Seven) 7 Eight 9 - 58 One Six I have it on eBay right now Ebay Auction

Things of note the new owner may wish to address, "things if I were to keep the car", I would do: Car could use a new set of shocks and struts front and rear, they're probably 25+ years old. Door window regulators could use a good greasing. There is a minor oil leak from around the fuel pump housing, could use a gasket, it leaves a couple of quarter sized drips when parked after a drive until the oil settles in the pan. Drivers front wheel got a bit of curb rash accidentally, should be seen in pictures by following the above link. The rear windows are off track, will need adjustment to properly roll up and down, otherwise leave them up, this is why the cranks are off, cranks are included in sale. Due to being off track the drivers side rear window is not mating exactly straight with the front window causing some mild wind noise. Please feel free to message me for my phone number to talk about the car if you like. The radiator overflow bottle has a small crack in it, it is new but defective, I will try to seal the crack with some gasket maker but it really needs to be replaced. It's $20.00 on eBay.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
10/30/13 2:15 p.m.

Break out the paddles and head to the lake?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
10/30/13 2:23 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Why? It's in the open classifieds section and it's a private owner selling a car, does this violate the open classifieds rules somehow?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
10/30/13 2:28 p.m.

Great looking car and the right year for me too. GLWS.

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
10/30/13 2:31 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

No, but something about a 1st post being and advertisement for a $13.5k car rubs me the wrong way.

Carry on.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/30/13 2:35 p.m.
bgkast wrote: In reply to ShadowSix: No, but something about a 1st post being and advertisement for a $13.5k car rubs me the wrong way. Carry on.

I'm always suspisious of these......like this,

There really is simply too much too list in this limited forum.

He obviously doesn't know this place.

It looks like a nicely done driver, but unfortunately nothing is original.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/30/13 2:38 p.m.

Too much to list? NEVAR!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/30/13 3:14 p.m.

hnnnggggg

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
10/31/13 8:59 a.m.

Sorry if I've violated any rules, unwritten or otherwise. A personal build I have been working on a long time. I've been a GRM reader for years and thought maybe this was a good place to post it even if it was only to show off a little. Again I appologize for my lack of forum etiquette.

I say too much to list since only because memory fades on all the things I've done and I only remember after i start talking to someone about it, things start coming back.

With regards to it's originality, well, yes in the truest purests sense it's not very original. I did try to perform modifications tastefullly and in a way that did not step on the toes of enthusiasts of this vintage. Those of us rabid 1st gen Celica builders consider this to be a very desireable build composition. If a showroom stock original is your desire then this is not your car. ;)

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
10/31/13 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Crash1976:

I don't think you've violated any rules, it's just that we have seen a huge number of spam posts recently.

Beautiful car btw, having driven a slightly later car ('77 maybe?) that was unmodified I understand the impulse to improve the car as you restore it! Honestly, it shows a lot of restraint that you didn't throw a much more modern engine in there.

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
10/31/13 12:39 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

Yeah, Honda F20Cs and Toyota 2/3RZs are all the EFI rage in these cars. This car came with the 2.0 18RC SOHC OHV motor wheezing out around 70 hp. Now we make around 170 respectively. Thanks for the compliment.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/31/13 12:41 p.m.

Trade for 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with tasteful and well-done modifications?

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
10/31/13 1:20 p.m.

Sorry, it's up on eBay right now. Auction is over in a couple hours. Guess we'll see how it plays out. ;)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/31/13 1:21 p.m.

Bummer. Miata is/was worth your original asking price quite handily.

Good luck with the auction!

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
11/3/13 7:27 p.m.

Well the ebay deal caved. I relisted with a price drop to $12,500. Thanks for the trade offer, i'm sure it's a solid trade but I'm in need of moolah... otherwise i'd not even be selling.

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
11/4/13 9:08 a.m.

Edited the first post to reflect better details. refer to ebay auction for list of new/replaced mechanical parts etc.

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
11/4/13 8:35 p.m.

added video to post heres the link: http://www.focalcraft.com/Personal/Celica-Videos

Crash1976
Crash1976 New Reader
11/5/13 1:41 p.m.

SOLD

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qtWlhNZGPC86TgTj2929zx9DB4wdZVKZz6tVKH7ab3Lalj6vHMSAaMsTRybmYszU