speed42
speed42 New Reader
5/29/20 3:46 p.m.

Hi -
I found this little coupe hidden away on a porch patio. The owner had recently passed and the sister needed the car moved and sold. I don't know much of the history, just that he liked Alfas and had lived in Oregon. On the Wisconsin title I see "Previously Titled in Oregon" so it must be a reasonable story. I have had multiple Alfa Spiders but never a Alfetta/GTV. I wanted to see and understand the DeDion with the transaxle. Quite fascinating.
As far as I can tell this car has been sitting on this patio since 2012, the last valid tag on the plate.
It had been covered and reasonably cared for. The tires were shot, but the engine was free and the fuel tank was clean. I took a gamble and brought it home. I carefully began to coax it from its slumber.

• Oiled the cylinders, changed the oil, removed the sending unit in the fuel tank for a look
• Fresh battery I was able to spin the engine freely
• New spark plugs and wires
• Fuel pump cleaned and lubricated
• I had bought a Centerline replacement fuel pump that I will include
• Rubber Fuel lines did need to be replaced in the back of the car as they were dry and cracked
• Replaced the fuel filter at the tank and the main filter at the Spica pump
• Engine started and it settled into a reasonable idle. It runs well without any obvious issues

Then I started on the interior. You can imagine the mice and chipmunks were in this car
• I removed the carpets, fiber liner and seats. Vacuumed and cleaned
• The seats aren't in bad condition
• Door panels and dash are pretty rough as well as the steering wheel
• This is a Mario Andretti edition for what that is worth
• Still has the Koni Reds and the dash plaque
• I do have all the windows working properly and door handles functional
• The clutch and brakes are somewhat functional
• From sitting the master cylinders are probably corroded
• I was able to drive the car around the block
• Clutch takes up quick and the brakes are soft
• Transmission and differential seemed to work and no unusual noises
• The paint isn't original and someone had custom pin striping done on the car
• The clear is peeled in some spots

Overall this is a pretty decent car. It’s not rusty like we see them here in the Midwest.
The wheels that came on the car were BBS E51 Three piece aluminum racing wheels. One was cracked and damaged by the tire shop when they tried to remove the very old tires. I recently found a set of wheels locally so I could move the car around. BBS still does support the E51 and advised they could get a set of lips to rebuild the wheels.

I'm hoping to find someone that would like this car to enjoy. I'm open to offers. $2500.  I have a lot of pictures I will send or post somewhere.
Text or call. 414-699-6039

Thanks
Don

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/29/20 4:21 p.m.

You realize the e51 are worth nearly your asking price? Even cracked?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/29/20 4:41 p.m.

Nice car. 

greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
5/29/20 7:16 p.m.

I'm incredibly glad you aren't any closer to Texas or I would have yet another Alfa in the driveway....

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 9:21 p.m.

I don't know the value of wheels, or Andretti editions, or other specifics, but seems like an fantastic deal!!!

As a young adult I was exposed to a hard core Alfa nut... he bought a lightly used 85 GTV6 back in 85. I didn't care for the bodystyle at the time, but respected the mechanicals. Now I even like the bodystyle

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/31/20 6:02 p.m.

I am seriously tempted. I've had one before and it was a great car. If you can hold it for a short while I think we can make a deal.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/31/20 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Don49 (Forum Supporter) :

If the left front wheel house is as good as the right side in the photo it is the best Alfetta left on the planetsurprise

speed42
speed42 New Reader
6/4/20 7:06 a.m.

The BBS E51 wheels do need to be restored but the centers are in nice condition without damage or cracks.  Just

decades of brake dust.  The inner barrels also seem nice.  Its the outer lips that seem to have taken the most abuse.  Two are definitely bad and two are ok.

No rust on the inner shock tower area.  Clean rockers and Clean underside.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/4/20 7:47 a.m.

Dang, I didn't need to see that. Makes me wonder if I can hide another Alfa out here on the property without my wife noticing...

How bad is the interior damage from the mice & chipmunks? What's the condition of the hatch like as that's a notorious rust spot on these?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/20 8:56 a.m.

never been a fan of this body but dang that looks like a nice example to start with.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/4/20 9:55 a.m.

pretty dang good, I'm still hemming and hawing

speed42
speed42 New Reader
6/4/20 1:02 p.m.

Interior is really not that great.  Seats are okish.  Door panels are not the best.  Carpet is gone.  Headliner ok.  Dash is cracked and the steering wheels vinyl is disappearing.

Hatch area is clean.  One area by the RR tailight that was backed into something.  Taillight lenses are missing.

speed42
speed42 New Reader
6/24/20 1:47 p.m.

Great start to a track car.   Light, rear transaxle, four wheel disc.  They don't even use window regulators, just little cable winch cranks.  They added lightness.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/27/20 4:03 p.m.

Probably sold.  Couldn't hurt to look at it.

Once I went to the June Sprints at Road America and on the way home I stopped to "look" a Datsun Roadster in Milwaukee.  Owned it for almost 7 years.  It's dangerous to just "look".  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/27/20 7:32 p.m.

BMW 2002 had those diving board bumpers one year.  

speed42
speed42 New Reader
7/3/20 12:42 p.m.

Thanks for the interest guys.  The Alfetta has sold to a buyer that wants to restore it.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/3/20 3:17 p.m.

Glad it sold, I have two to many projects as it is. Someone here?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C92BWFjhyXwvWMWkyNoHozETF0Gqqgf6oWBfcDOoHnSUBX2mgDFjYY4U67qmrVCh