mightymike
mightymike Reader
2/27/22 6:45 p.m.

11 years ago, through help from members of this forum, I found my previously owned 1977 Ford Capri ITA race car. That odyssey is detailed here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/reward-help-me-find-my-old-race-car/43316/page1/

After buying the car back, I completely disassembled it and began a total rebuild, planning to run it at a few track days and possibly race again in a vintage racing series. The rebuild has been a start-and-stop process and I realize I will never finish the project. The stock 2.8 V6 engine has been professionally rebuilt, as well as the transmission. The car has been painted with the exception of the hood and hatchback. I have all the parts, including all of the original  glass. The tires are brand new but aged out, so I would not drive them on the road or track  I have the SCCA logbook.  When I looked into this a few years ago, this car was eligible to race in a few vintage racing series, but please do your own homework regarding eligibility. 

Instead of listing every detail of the car, I thought I would let any interested parties PM me and ask any specific questions they may have.

Located 30 miles east of Charlotte, NC

128racecar
128racecar Reader
2/28/22 1:37 p.m.

Posted this up on my vintage racing club's Facebook page. I'd love to see this car race with us. If a potential buyer is in the Michigan/Indiana/Illinois/Wisconsin area, and wants info about racing with the VSCDA, feel free to contact me. This is a smoking hot deal if you are looking for a vintage race project.

Marc in Indy

VSCDA Group 2 #30 First Gen Honda Civic

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/28/22 2:55 p.m.

I keep coming back to this picture. What a cool looking car. Good luck with your sale. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/28/22 5:53 p.m.

Reading about it makes me want to come up to NC for a build party.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/28/22 8:01 p.m.

I'm almost glad this isn't a mk1 because then I'd need to go get it.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
2/28/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

Hi Marc, I really appreciate that!

Mike

mightymike
mightymike Reader
2/28/22 8:19 p.m.

Thanks so,much for the nice comments. It would mean a lot to me to see it on the track again  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/28/22 9:46 p.m.

30 miles east of Charlotte....

Im in albemarle. Im guessing locust?

Regardless, if i can help you i will. Sometimes it just takes another guy to relight the spark. And I'll volunteer stampie as well.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/1/22 9:31 a.m.

This is a very, very, cool project.  If I had an actual enclosed garage I would 10/10 build this.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/1/22 4:59 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

30 miles east of Charlotte....

Im in albemarle. Im guessing locust?

Regardless, if i can help you i will. Sometimes it just takes another guy to relight the spark. And I'll volunteer stampie as well.

It's amazing what a couple of overweight guys can do in a weekend.  mightymike you should consider this ...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/1/22 5:46 p.m.

Not gonna lie, when I saw Stampie was the most recent poster, I figured he was arranging the buy. I love this car so much but just have too much going on. But if duster or Stampie buy, I'm in for $25.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/1/22 5:49 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

We want to help him finish it not buy it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/1/22 5:58 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

We want to help him finish it not buy it.

Amen. I have too many neat projects that probably won't be finished already.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
3/2/22 11:52 p.m.

I've been a multiple Capri owner (None currently) and I'd be all over this if I had the room and fewer projects going and I do want another RWD race car. Just not the right time. 

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/3/22 5:53 p.m.

This forum is just as awesome as I remember. I am close to Locust, and I'm humbled by your offers to help!

the bottom line is it will take more time and money to finish than I am ready to invest right now. Life has changed over the past few years. 

Hoondavan-hang in there. I originally built this car in my driveway, several years before I had a garage, much less a shop. 

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
3/4/22 8:06 a.m.

This is such a cool car. I actually remember your original thread from years ago. 

Have you tried posting the car in any facebook groups? There are a few that have thousands of people in them and they are specifically for posting real racecars. Let me know if you are interested in this and I can share some links. 

I hope this car goes to a good home. Best of luck sir. 

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/5/22 7:58 a.m.

In reply to B13Birk : thank you, please share those links when you have the time.

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
3/5/22 11:01 a.m.
mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/17/22 6:39 a.m.

I have a deposit on the Capri, the car is sold. 

Thanks to everyone that helped with this project through the years, maybe the new owner will start a new build thread on this forum.  

B13Birk
B13Birk HalfDork
3/17/22 10:23 a.m.

In reply to mightymike :

That is awesome news! I hope they do as well.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
3/21/22 2:50 p.m.

If they're in the Upper Midwest, and want to do vintage racing, have them reach out to me. 

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
3/22/22 1:23 p.m.

Congrats! These are VERY cool cars. I drooled over a couple of them this winter but was looking for less project, more driving.

Jalopy_Joe
Jalopy_Joe New Reader
3/23/22 7:54 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

Live in Near Martinsville Va, But not scared to travel. Also Have 2 Dodge Shelby ITB and Ford EXP ITA

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IPi1uiShX2I7locr31YQhr4kqok8WRKUmos241oipXmeXhrD9uZXmjhuuBBBTDkV