HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar New Reader
12/31/20 7:45 a.m.

Any images to share?

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
12/31/20 6:55 p.m.

I'm on the correct coast, but already had to pass on the perfectly imperfect XJ6 for lack of parking...

Hopefully someone snaps it up; having all that work done at the rear is awesome!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/31/20 7:05 p.m.

My shop teacher had a Jag E type he drove a lot back in the 70's. I always thought that was a cool azz car. The XJ's in the 80's were nice, but I did not want a 4 dr in those days, and a XJS does not have a sporty enough look, even as a two door. Dorve one a few times back in the 90's and loved it; just not my style. Now I actually like the XJ6's better!

I remember the TV show Equalizer and his Jag.... now I even look enough like him to pull that car off! ( I'd have to start dressing better, though)

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
1/2/21 8:13 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

Gets a lot of compliments. Just old enough to still have some actual style and relatively simple electronics.

More pics when I get a chance earlier in the day.

Funny, you’re right, there’s an element of classiness to this that the more modern ones lack. I’ve never been able to put my finger on it but the difference is somehow revealed in how the grille looks to be thin strips of actual imperfect metal rather than too perfectly shiny chromed pieces of plastic. 

-it may still be plastic, but in general it has that feel of having actual substance to it, unlike everything newer which all gives me the impression of a stone facade over plywood. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/17/21 12:14 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

That is an elegantly classic car.  The switch for the fuel tank selector is a common problem and a short weekend afternoon to replace or possibly clean up and get another decades use out of.  Electrical issues are usually a matter of either a loose or corroded ground wire. ( black ) 
   If the leather is rock hard, Leatherique leather conditioner will soon soften it back to glove soft.  Do it in a garage and leave the windows down for a few days and the banana  smell will be completely gone. 

Mine was both dried rock hard and some of the seams were split. I treated it 4 times and then took the seats into an upholsterer who for $50 pulled the covers off,  re-sewed  the seams with new thread, and put everything back together. He even superglued a tear that I thought for sure would need a new panel.  
    Mechanically that car is a tank.  The engine is very long lived with nothing more than oil changes (20w50) and spark plugs. 
getting parts is easy, many of the common wear items can be found at Rock Auto and the more esoteric stuff will come from specialty place like Moss Motors or Welsh 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/21 1:42 p.m.

Big plus is Nevada won't be as rusty as the rest of us.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/17/21 2:09 p.m.

Yeah if I were close I'd be vewy vewy intwested.

Those wheels look excellent.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/17/21 5:37 p.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

I'm on the correct coast, but already had to pass on the perfectly imperfect XJ6 for lack of parking...

Hopefully someone snaps it up; having all that work done at the rear is awesome!

Make sure all the grease fittings get grease every oil change. Don't forget to check the lube level in the rear hubs. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/17/21 6:40 p.m.

Got any interior pics?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/17/21 8:19 p.m.

It's really tempting, but only 1 functional gas tank would make for a sketchy fly and drive back to the right coast.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/18/21 9:40 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

12 gallons of fuel would limit you to about a little over 150 miles with maybe a 30 miles reserve.  If you could reach in back and get the transfer switch working you could then double that to about 300 miles. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8kYQdXddVrpDVZE04jKCN5S7Nso5rWWW4Cy7Xp28EQtGEJYbFPmQGa7UVeYikY1s