wae
wae PowerDork
10/2/22 8:16 p.m.

Ever since I bought the Miata, I really haven't had much interest in riding anymore.  While I occasionally miss it, it's time for me to admit that I'm just not going to get back in to it anytime soon.  It was running just fine, but I think I last rode it in 2016 or 2017.  This bike is a bit of an amalgamation of a 1984 Aspencade and an '87 Interstate, but the frame and engine are both from the '87.  My original plan was to paint the bike, but I wrapped it in 3M vinyl instead and it's held up pretty well.  You won't win a show with it, but since it's been buried in my garage, the vinyl hasn't faded, peeled, or shrunk.  The only real problem area is on the front fender where something fell and tore the vinyl a bit at some point.  I can probably provide a bit of vinyl from that batch if you want to re-cover the fender.  The bike has just about 73k miles on the clock and I did the timing belt at around 71k miles.  The engine and transmission were both smooth as silk going down the road and it was a very comfortable place to eat up highway miles.  It even has the coveted left side panel that covers the battery.  It's had a mounting peg repaired, but it's solidly attached.

Make no mistake, though, despite how nice it was it is absolutely a project.  I know that it needs new tires, a new head bearing (there's a little bit of wobble at speed), a new battery, and a new shift shaft seal.  Try saying that ten times fast!  At this point, it might be necessary to clean the carbs a bit as well, of course.  I took the radio out of it to put in the motorhome, but one of those bluetooth-only cheap head units will fit in there and work great for you.  The speakers aren't anything special - I believe they are the originals - but they do transmit enough sound to be heard over the open road! 

In addition to the bike itself, I have a treasure trove of spare parts.  That's "treasure" used in the same way as one might say "one man's trash is another man's treasure", of course.  But there's spare plastics, a spare fairing from the Aspencade (I think the digital dash is still in the fairing), an extra wheel, boxes of sundry parts, and even a good frame with a bad title.

This would make a pretty quick, easy, and cheap winter project for someone that has the time on their hands.  Heck, there's enough season left that you could have it up and running enough to ride a bit yet this year!

Located in beautiful Erlanger, KY for a GRM price of $750.  Depending on where you are, I might be able to arrange delivery.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/3/22 9:12 a.m.

A few more pictures from the last time I had it out of the garage for a quick wash and a trip up and down the street:

Parker with too many Projects
Parker with too many Projects Dork
10/3/22 4:16 p.m.

Nice looking bike!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
10/4/22 6:18 p.m.

Okay, I want it.  

Seven too fore.  Eight 5er 8.  O6 seven 5er.

Rob R.

wae
wae PowerDork
10/5/22 8:20 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I shot you a text last night kinda late - I had a list of wifejobs to do that kept me occupied for a bit so I didn't see your PM for a little while there.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
10/5/22 9:31 a.m.

Thanks!

I gotta figure some stuff out this weekend.  Right now, I'm getting ready to leave for a hiking trip this weekend. 

I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks!

wae
wae PowerDork
2/20/23 7:48 p.m.

Just to close the loop on this one:  Bike just sold tonight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NhU4IlhFjPkeM9WrJnjwNZNxPUsOzKkKnI8rR0SBFbSL586PxHDG0wyA3Yv2DQym