Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
3/13/21 10:05 a.m.
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
3/13/21 9:58 p.m.

Yes, the E30 M3's are getting silly money right now. I've recently heard of a title and vin plate only going for 30k 

calteg
calteg Dork
3/15/21 9:22 a.m.

I had a chance to buy a basketcase for $2000 back in 2006. Came through our dealership in CA, it would've needed another $2000 in emissions equipment just to get it to pass inspection, and at the time I thought $4,000 was an outrageous amount of money. Jokes on me!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/16/21 10:20 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

Jokes on me cause my dad spent too much time studying Model Railroader and not enough time studying every page of Road & Track in July, 1971.   Was probably dicking around with tieing up his tomatoes that month too.   

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/17/21 9:48 a.m.

Not my kind of money for sure however the e30 M3 is my favorite car I have owned. I would say it was epic. 

calteg
calteg Dork
3/17/21 10:56 a.m.

I'm kind of surprised by that. The few people I've spoken to with first hand experience say it's a little bit of a letdown. Steering is a little too slow, motor feels underpowered in an era where rental Camrys make 200hp.  The first time I drove an E36 M3 I was massively disappointed 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/17/21 2:12 p.m.

I could see that. There is a lot of hype around certain cars that when you drive one it could be a let down. Mine was modified and I used it as a daily driver for two years. The handling was terrific and it just felt special with all the homologation touches.  Not too sure about the HP argument. There are plenty of cars that make tons of horsepower that are not that great to drive.  

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/17/21 3:35 p.m.

I actually saw a red one driving the other day. Told me wife that it was almost a six-figure car: "For THAT?"

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/17/21 3:47 p.m.

I just saw a video from vinwiki that alluded to e30 m3 sport evolutions (can now be imported) will be the next 1m bmw....

Cray cray!

calteg
calteg Dork
3/18/21 8:32 a.m.

I just remembered my neighbor across the street has a visitor about once a year that rolls up in a really clean white E30 M3....wonder if it's the same guy....

ebelements
ebelements Reader
3/23/21 2:01 p.m.
calteg said:

The few people I've spoken to with first hand experience say it's a little bit of a letdown. Steering is a little too slow, motor feels underpowered in an era where rental Camrys make 200hp.  The first time I drove an E36 M3 I was massively disappointed 

You're not wrong. A stock E30 M3 feels a lot like a Mk2 Jetta GLi 16v. Cool looking, fun enough to drive, but not fast or exciting. That said, OjaiM5 isn't wrong either. One of my closest pals has a '91 E30 M3 that's about as modified as these things get—engine bumped to 2.5, standalone, giant CF airbox, MCS remote reservoir coilovers, BBS RS, Recaro SRDs(to name some of the bigger items). The car is an absolute rocket to say the least, and to the horror of purists everywhere, he daily drives it. Hard. In Chicago. 3 seasons. I always tell him that he's insane, look what these cars are worth! To which he replies, "so what? I'm never selling it."

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
3/23/21 2:44 p.m.

I DD'd mine for 15 years, one maybe two winters.  Totally a momentum car, underpowered for the chassis, maybe but I loved how it handled.  Mine had upgraded dampers, +1 on the width and diameter wheels, Dinan chip and cam gear, Borla muffler.

Too had so sad, it's gone now.  Gave it away for $7900.  Purchased it for $9995 from a Saab dealership.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KOfmmBoDysl4gJZFBB4bLkRzeyjfhs4ohWp2L5xwyKVlVVXj50KYO2zF6eiakNrG