dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
12/21/21 8:30 p.m.

I got this car a couple of years ago to save it from getting auctioned and parted out, and I don't have anywhere to keep it nor the patience to restore it properly. I'm not good at that stuff. It needs to go to someone who wants a solid, completely stock starting point for a Corrado restoration project. 

The good: Everything is original. Original paint. Original interior. Original stereo. Original wheels. Original suspension. It appears to never have been modified in any way. Ride height is stock. Boost level is stock. It hasn't been 'returned to stock configuration', it has never been any other way. The odometer shows 62420 miles, and it works perfectly. Everything seems to work, with the exception of the weird passive restraint seat belts and the rear spoiler. It even smells like the 90s VW plastics inside. Runs and drives really nicely, feels like the low mileage car it is. Shift linkages are tight and the car doesn't feel like it was ever abused. No rot, or rust anywhere other than where the bodywork has been damaged.

The bad: Everything is original. No restoration has been done so far, other than the mechanical work that has been done to the car. Seals are original and the sunroof leaks. Electrics are all original, which means the headlights are, well, compromised by design. There is a fair number of dings and dents, but no bodywork has been done, so what you see is what you get. It has been sitting and the gas needs to be drained. The car is in need of a full restoration.

The previous owner abandoned it at a shop after some $3500 of work was done including a timing belt. I spent some months and a bunch of fees tracking down the title. The title is clear and I have multiple copies. It was too nice to let the shop sell it on, I thought. I changed the plug wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor but otherwise didn't get into the big stuff.

I simply don't have the mindset to restore a car to stock, and it seems like the wrong candidate to modify. I would love to see this go to a good home. 

Mechanically, it's fantastic. No warning lights on the dash, starts perfectly. The gas is a few years old and should be drained. Cosmetically, there's a bunch of things to do, obviously. The seat belts are the main reason it hasn't been driven under my ownership.

$5000, or show up on my door with a bag of unmarked bills and make me an offer.

Car is in Seattle area. I'm going to upload some more pictures in this thread. Any questions about the car, ask, I'll try and answer. 

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
12/21/21 8:43 p.m.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/22/21 1:43 p.m.

I've seen this car in person. If it wasn't a stick It'd already be mine.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
12/22/21 7:15 p.m.

It's a diamond in the rough, legitimately. Needs some real investment to be perfect but it's such a good place to start.

Compared to stuff I used to work on back in the rust belt, it's really incredibly solid. Happy to help ship it if someone wants that.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/22/21 10:59 p.m.

I kind of want this lol

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
12/22/21 11:12 p.m.

Man that is a great starting point for someone who wants one of these. I think it's well worth the asking price.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
12/23/21 3:43 p.m.

Posted it on Facebook and my phone has been blowing up since. Hopefully it stays local and I can see it again.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
1/5/22 3:55 p.m.

$4500. So much interest, but it's still in the driveway.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
1/7/22 10:40 a.m.

Found a local buyer, whee!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/7/22 10:51 a.m.

Congrats!

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
1/7/22 11:36 a.m.

how much $$$? its a bargain at any price... 

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland Reader
1/21/22 10:45 a.m.
docwyte said:

Congrats!

Thanks!

In the end it went for asking price, $4500. I think it's a good deal given the rarity of the car and mechanical condition. There's a lot of work in it but the buyer is in a position to do all of it himself.

Hopefully I'll get to follow up with some pictures of the results in a year or so.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0SVg5s1s2FJ7fevFeNOWXnMccSxTC07TI92ZOEgeEAM6pydQbaq16U9reUI9ONvZ