infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 12:50 p.m.

This was sitting at a mechanic's place for 2 years because the prior owner bought a brand new one and just didn't want it anymore.  The mechanic bought it from the owner and was going to turn around and sell it but some crack head crawled underneath and cut the catalytic converter off.  So it sat.  Finally he got around to selling it and I bought it and started fixing it up a bit, but honestly I don't have the time/space for this right now and we're trying to sell everything so we can move down to Tampa ASAP.  So it's gotta go.  So here's all the details.

1990 Mercedes 300E, 192K miles but runs great.  Have full service records for the first 50K or so miles.  Have original M/B tool kit, Bilstein jack.  Zero rust, was apparently garaged and pampered its entire life.  Overall in excellent shape, no dents or dings or anything.

The good:

New tires

New battery

I replaced the catalytic converter

physically in great shape

except for a few spots, interior is in excellent condition

sunroof works

handles nice and tight, has newer shocks

The bad but easily fixable:

2-3 shift can be weird.  Possibly due to sitting for so long, it got better as I drove it.  I have the upgraded K1 spring to fix this, I simply don't have the time or place to install it (although is apparently easy)

When installing the new catalytic converter/pipes, one of the bolts that connect it to the factory exhaust manifold broke off in the manifold.  So there's a small exhaust leak there and it either needs a new rear manifold or to be drilled out, tapped, and a new bolt.  $100 for some manifolds from eBay or cheaper from a junkyard, I just don't have time or space.

Some wear on driver's side seat bolster and the clear coat on the wood dash panels is cracked. Typical with age

Passenger front window is stuck in the up position.  I have the regulator and motor, and I believe it's the motor that went out.  Cheap fix, can be done in an hour. I believe a new regulator is around $30.

A/C works and the air is ice cold, but the blower motor just stopped working so the air doesn't blow.  Just needs a $100 part, and about an hour to fix.

Slight oil leak from the front timing chain cover area, which from what I understand was very common on these cars

The back half of the exhaust is intact but off the car and in excellent condition.  It needs two 6" pipes welded to it to connect it to the replacement catalytic converter, and one new muffler hanger.

I have about $1200 in it so I would like to get something decent for it, maybe $800 or so.  Or less, or trade me a few bucks and some cool parts for my mustang or future challenge car.  I'm not too pressed for price, I would just like to see this in the hands of someone that can fix these few things and enjoy a great car.  If you know how to weld (for the exhaust) then for about $200 you could have an awesome car with all those little things fixed.  This would be great for the Gastropods.  I can take more and better pictures if anyone wants to see anything.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 12:51 p.m.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 12:51 p.m.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/17/19 12:55 p.m.

Want to do a deal that includes some sort of trade for my open car hauler that I just posted? Unlikely if you're moving, but I thought I should ask..... 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 1:38 p.m.

I don't have anything that could pull that, just a Mustang and  Prius.  Thanks for the offer though!

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/17/19 2:34 p.m.

This is an incredible deal, IMO.

The condition and price actually outweigh my "wagon or two door only" stipulation for Mercs.  Someone else buy it so I don't.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 2:53 p.m.

Hey, make me a deal!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/18/19 8:30 p.m.

Great deal.  Car looks really well kept. That’s leather, not MB Tex, in nice shape. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 3:38 p.m.

Crappy underhood picture

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 3:38 p.m.

Here's the original toolkit.  Name your price, trades for Mustang stuff considered as well.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/20/19 10:49 a.m.

I need this gone so in a week I'm just going to scrap it.  Hopefully someone nearby can get it instead.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
6/20/19 11:31 a.m.

I don't need another old Mercedes

Jimbo86
Jimbo86 New Reader
6/26/19 9:46 p.m.

Still available? I could use a DD and would love to save this one. (My mom had a 93 300e growing up)

I’m in Northern VA

James

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/27/19 7:00 a.m.

So I sold my trailer - is this car street able as is? I'd have to drive it back to DC....

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/27/19 7:42 a.m.

Still available.  The back half of the exhaust system is off the car so it's pretty noisy, not sure if I would call it streetable due to that.  And with the blower motor not blowing, the interior gets a bit warm, although the sunroof helps.  If either of you guys want to come check it out this weekend let me know, I'm getting ready to sell it to a junkyard soon otherwise.  I just don't really have the time or space for this car anymore.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
6/27/19 6:11 p.m.

Alright, that's more than I can handle right now! I'll have to pass.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/27/19 6:23 p.m.

I will be in Harrisburg the 8th and 9th and could come get it, what’s the price now? It’ll be a parts car for me

Jimbo86
Jimbo86 New Reader
6/27/19 9:19 p.m.

PM Sent about Saturday morning.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/28/19 11:19 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Name your price, or trade me something neat plus some cash.  Acceptable trades would be something for my current 2012 mustang GT or for my future challenge car, which will be an SN95 mustang (fingers crossed).  But I'm not incredibly picky.  

eurotech6830
eurotech6830
7/16/19 4:32 p.m.

Do you still have it?

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
7/16/19 4:37 p.m.

Yeah I was going to just sell it to a junkyard this entire past week but I ended up just being way too busy to deal with it.  I'm tired of it sitting in my driveway and I need the space and I need it gone so as soon as I have a free day I'm junking it.  If anyone wants it, now's your chance.

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
7/17/19 9:13 a.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

send me a pm 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
7/19/19 6:41 a.m.

Sold!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ENYSugE3Yn5IM6RvNnjHaZz0zEjR5118dOIFothcoIlVnJ9g65RqrnJqH0QQ4Rdj