1 2
legendscar95
legendscar95 New Reader
10/14/20 10:40 a.m.

What have I done........   devil

On another note, do I need to somehow spin the "wheels of GRM thread" as your high-pressure sales worked on those C5 (C5???) wheels?!?!!   

PS.  You know, I can still Amazon Prime those wires and plugs to your house.......   Just sayin'......

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
10/14/20 10:47 a.m.

The C5 wheels for $100 is really a no brainer, though.

legendscar95
legendscar95 New Reader
10/14/20 10:59 a.m.

LOL - agreed - the entire deal is a no-brainer!!!   Tons of freedom for very little $$$.   You rock.

Build thread to start with the delivery photo!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 11:50 a.m.
legendscar95 said:

LOL - agreed - the entire deal is a no-brainer!!!   Tons of freedom for very little $$$.   You rock.

Build thread to start with the delivery photo!

berkeley yeah!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/16/20 8:02 a.m.

That’s a rare car.  What do I mean?  Most Z’s came with Z-rated tires and were not speed limited to 110 mph as this one seems to be given the speedometer (most go to 150).  I know this because I had its Firebird Formula twin.  5.7.  6 speed manual.  110 mph limiter.  I never saw another one like it.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/16/20 8:44 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

That’s a rare car.  What do I mean?  Most Z’s came with Z-rated tires and were not speed limited to 110 mph as this one seems to be given the speedometer (most go to 150).  I know this because I had its Firebird Formula twin.  5.7.  6 speed manual.  110 mph limiter.  I never saw another one like it.  

Wow, that is weird.  I didn't notice it until you pointed it out and I had to go back to the first page to look at the pictures.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/16/20 9:12 a.m.

There is a simple explanation for this, around the option package from the factory.

Apparently, the Z rated tires were an option, and if you didn't get that option, you got a 110 Speedo. This car has the QMT RPO code, which I'm guessing is the non-Z rated tires. 

legendscar95
legendscar95 New Reader
10/16/20 9:57 a.m.

Wait - does the rarity mean a price increase?!?!?!?!    ;).  This car might belong on BaT.

This is actually a feature for me....  "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?"  ---  ME:  "It wasn't more than 110mph officer!"

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
10/16/20 12:25 p.m.

I don't have a breakdown of Z28's that were ordered with the Z rated tires and those that didn't.  The option code was QLC and it netted you 245/50-16 Z-rated tires, a 155 MPH speedometer and a non-speed limited PCM.  Z's without the QLC option code were PCM limited to between 108 and 116MPH (depending on the year).

I can tell you that out of the 29435 A4 Z28s produced in 1994, only 2664 of them were Med Patriot Red in color smiley.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/16/20 12:49 p.m.
pontiacstogo said:

a 155 MPH speedometer and a non-speed limited PCM. 

Actually, the PCM was speed-limited to 155 MPH because that's what the tires were speed rated to. A guy I know (wink wink) did a couple laps of the circle track at Milford up against that speed limiter in a 1994 Z28 on a quiet Saturday morning in the fall of 1993 and somehow didn't get in trouble for it.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/16/20 1:41 p.m.

I remember a period test of these and some contemporary Mustangs with the 4.6.  Phil Hill was the tester.  What sticks out in my mind is that he said after driving the GM twins, the Mustang felt like “the emergency brake was on”.  He also lamented that they were too fast for inexperienced drivers and suggested that some would unfortunately “snuff themselves out”.  

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/16/20 1:45 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

He also lamented that they were too fast for inexperienced drivers and suggested that some would unfortunately “snuff themselves out”.  

Phil Hill drove a manual version of the car.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/16/20 1:47 p.m.

There was a “tuner” available back in the day that would allow you to remove the speed limiter or set it to whatever you wanted.   I can’t remember the brand.  When did OBD-2 start?  I’m thinking these are just OBD1.  But with this plug in brain manipulator supposedly you could make the speedometer double back on itself...but not being a mechanical gauge I kind of doubt the veracity of that.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/16/20 1:50 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:
A 401 CJ said:

He also lamented that they were too fast for inexperienced drivers and suggested that some would unfortunately “snuff themselves out”.  

Phil Hill drove a manual version of the car.

And my butt dyno thought the auto pulled harder.  With a tad looser converter it pulled noticeably harder.  And I had 3.42 gears in my stick compared to 3.2x in the auto I rode in.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
10/16/20 3:46 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

There was a “tuner” available back in the day that would allow you to remove the speed limiter or set it to whatever you wanted.   I can’t remember the brand.  When did OBD-2 start?  I’m thinking these are just OBD1.  But with this plug in brain manipulator supposedly you could make the speedometer double back on itself...but not being a mechanical gauge I kind of doubt the veracity of that.

Hypertech Power Programmer was the common one.  It allowed you to adjust things like rev limit, rear axle ratio, when the fans would kick on etc.  It also allowed you to adjust the speed limiter - from 110MPH for S rated tires to 184MPH for Y rated tires (and increments in between).  Every stock tune on the QLC equipped cars I've seen has been set at 255.  The 255 number does not truly represent 255MPH as no Z28 is ever going to hit that.  Instead it's simply the decimal equivalent of the largest possible 8-bit binary number - effectively no limit.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/16/20 3:59 p.m.
pontiacstogo said:

The 255 number does not truly represent 255MPH as no Z28 is ever going to hit that. 

Now Legendscar95 has a measurable goal for the car!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
10/16/20 5:01 p.m.

At the time I thought the old David E. Davis version of Automobile was a snotty rag with a definite bend toward foreign cars.  I remember when they drove that ‘94 Z/28 that they salivated all over it.  Going on and on about what a “driver’s car” it was. 

legendscar95
legendscar95 New Reader
10/17/20 8:21 p.m.

Delivery picture below as promised!   At least I hope the picture is there....

You'll all soon learn I tend to joke around 99.9% of the time (ha!) - but - I need to be serious for a second.

Brett took what will amount to nearly a full day to deliver this freedom machine to me.    Amazing guy, gave me an amazing deal including the C5 wheels - and - I'm just amazed by how good of a guy he is (amazing delivery, great guy!).   Did I use the word amazing enough?   It seriously applies in this case.

Thanks Brett - I couldn't be happier with this!   

PS.   This will be my last serious post.   :)

PPS.   Yeah, that's him on the ground doing all the hard work!

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
10/17/20 11:50 p.m.

The car got there, and I made it home. That's the kind of car delivery story I like. Enjoy your 5.7 liters of freedom! I'm glad you're enthusiastic about it. I hope it doesn't give you too much trouble getting sorted out.

Legendscar95 has some other interesting vehicles around the place, too. One of them made me reference a B52s song. Maybe we'll hear more.

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX New Reader
10/24/20 10:41 a.m.

If the Idle problem has not been solved yet, check engine codes as I had a similar idle issue with my Z 6speed car when the O2 sensors went. Also, if you have any intention of changing plug wires buy or make a socket with a hex cut into the outside..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnCdq0eR94cSVr3R1cu5IQo4t1Ij4nWcEM50i2zKnowQ1JNwcN7VaDj2PM0PjJly