1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/21 3:29 p.m.

Yeah, it's the story that makes it special. I'd also see if BaT would take it. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Wow. I remember when I was a kid and these were the new hot stuff in showroom stock racing.

Now it’s come back around and it’s old enough to be a bit collectable.

I guess that means I’m getting old or something.

I own a neon that is older than me. Unsure how that makes me feel. 

I'm older than the Neon, Lexus, Infiniti, hell son I'm older than the Rolls Royce Corniche. 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/21/21 1:38 p.m.

Old, who's old, Schrader accuses me of spotting for Ben Hur.

That's old

Still interested OP.

Thanks

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/23/21 3:18 p.m.

Thank you for the kind words everyone.  It has always been comforting that there's a place where these cars have always been appreciated.  I agree 100% with David on the story being part of the appeal.  As captdownshift has said, it would be hard to duplicate a car like this for the asking price. 

Unfortunately for me, the story outweighs the utility of the vehicle.  While I had purchased it originally to dive into W2W racing, it became readily apparent that I did not have the heart to ball this one up into a corner. 

Pro tip: Don't buy race cars you have a sentimental connection with.

@ RacingComputers - I shot you an email.  Forgive my tardiness, I was out of town for a couple of days.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/25/21 4:21 p.m.

Email receoved.

Thanks

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/28/21 1:02 a.m.

Additionally, there is a GREAT album of photos from the 1998 Grand Prix of Minnesota weekend located here: http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1998/USRRCTA/Neon/.

I attended the Grand Prix of Minnesota in 1998, so I probably saw this car in action.  smiley

(The GP of MN was well organized and a blast to watch, but unfortunately only lasted for a couple years...I imagine the organizers ran out of financial backing, and the city government was lukewarm at best about it.)

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
3/1/21 8:18 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Additionally, there is a GREAT album of photos from the 1998 Grand Prix of Minnesota weekend located here: http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/v/1998/USRRCTA/Neon/.

I attended the Grand Prix of Minnesota in 1998, so I probably saw this car in action.  smiley

(The GP of MN was well organized and a blast to watch, but unfortunately only lasted for a couple years...I imagine the organizers ran out of financial backing, and the city government was lukewarm at best about it.)

It's unfortunate how common of a story that seems to be.  The gallery from that weekend is off the charts, I highly recommend that everyone check it out even if they aren't interested in Neons.  USRRC featured some very cool cars ranging from the GTR-1 to a Mosler, and there's also a great Trans-Am album.  I miss the days of "real" privateer racing efforts.  Something seems to have gotten lost in today's era of mafacturer-built turnkey cars, but that's a conversation for another thread.

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
3/30/21 9:14 p.m.

Still for sale.  A lot of interest but unfortunately the stars have yet to align.

To reiterate: this is a terrible street car in present configuration.  I would NOT recommend a fly and drive for this particular vehicle.  Its best to bring a, uhh, trailer.  I can work with a buyer on shipping option(s), whether it be U Haul or otherwise.

That said, car is street legal and has a valid MI title in my name.  I believe I addressed this above, but quite a few people have asked some variation of whether it could be driven on the street.

jsturdy388
jsturdy388
12/29/21 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Drunkonunleaded :

Still available?

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/2/22 10:46 p.m.
jsturdy388 said:

In reply to Drunkonunleaded :

Still available?

Sorry, I thought I had pulled the sale ad down last year.  Yes I still have the car and technically it is for sale.  I sent a PM to you via the site.  Drop me a line here if it doesn't land in your email inbox.

Thanks!

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
2/3/22 6:36 a.m.

I was at the Detroit Grand Prix in 94, definitely watched these race.  It was shocking to see how fast and loud the Grand Prix cars were.   One of the Neons lost a wheel coming on to the front straight, I remember not thinking much of the lowly Neon.  

My FIL had one that he drove to work and back for 200k electrical gremlins put it out of its misery, he loved that car.  Crazy thing, my FIL and Dad, who I watched the race with are both gone now.   This car just reminds me of both of them. 

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/3/22 8:37 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I was at the Detroit Grand Prix in 94, definitely watched these race.  It was shocking to see how fast and loud the Grand Prix cars were.   One of the Neons lost a wheel coming on to the front straight, I remember not thinking much of the lowly Neon.  

My FIL had one that he drove to work and back for 200k electrical gremlins put it out of its misery, he loved that car.  Crazy thing, my FIL and Dad, who I watched the race with are both gone now.   This car just reminds me of both of them. 

I was discussing this with a Neon friend the other day.  The best part about owning these cars is that everyone seems to have a story about one of these cars, whether it was a friend's car or seeing them on the racetrack.

When I owned car #18, it was parked in the driveway one summer and I had random people stop by all the time and ask if it was "one of the 90s Neon racecars."  Maybe it's the fact that I am in Detroit and these things were everywhere, but there's no denying that they definitely left an impression on people. 

One of my earliest memories of the Neon was the 94 Celebrity Challenge sedans parked inside of a local dealership and in the shopping mall amongst other race cars.  Since then, I've wanted to own one of the Challenge cars.  Never in my life did I think that I would own two at the same time.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/7/22 12:43 a.m.

If this is still for sale this summer it may need to come south and become a dedicated HPDE car and possibly go vintage racing some day.  

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
2/12/22 12:10 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

If this is still for sale this summer it may need to come south and become a dedicated HPDE car and possibly go vintage racing some day.  

That would be the optimal situation from my perspective.  I stupidly bought too nice of a car to back it into a corner at a ChampCar race.

Which is ironic, because I'd have no qualms about doing so with an E46 or something worth more money.  That sort of thing wouldn't have the same history or sentimental value though, so I could justify it.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
B1Dhof1rJVxDQxEtUR9xpSGclD6nyBp6sd8iXAhxdDsom5pn9S98SZmE1LWgHc4W