ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/18/18 12:12 p.m.

Since I bought the new truck, the ZJ has to go.  You can find the build thread on here, but here's the text from my upcoming Craigslist ad as a summary:

Mechanically this is probably the best ZJ in Georgia right now and it’s set up for daily driving and light off roading / exploring / overlanding. There is NO RUST ON THE CHASSIS. There are a couple surface rust spots from paint chips and a little surface rust on the bottom of the passenger door. Chassis is solid and straight. Drives great, NO CHECK ENGINE OR SERVICE LIGHTS ARE ON. Full time four wheel drive with np249 transfer case works great with no signs of viscous coupling failure or binding. This is a great vehicle for camping, exploring the woods, and doing a little overlanding on a budget.

In the last year I’ve done:

-Complete front end rebuild. Everything that moves is new using Moog or other quality parts. Ball joints, tie rods, all the control arms, steering stabilizer - everything. No death wobble here!

-Front drive axles and wheel bearings

-fresh lube in front diff

-2.5” lift Old Man Emu heavy duty springs on all 4 corners

-Bilstein 5100 shocks all around. This thing rides great.

-New battery and starter

-Ford Performance 4-hole fuel injectors

-trans filter and fluid change, bands tightened and line pressure increased - shifts great

-oversize aftermarket trans cooler added. Factory rated for 6500lb towing before the upgrade.

-complete cooling system overhaul - new water pump, fan clutch, hoses, and an ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR, and even a new heater core (yes, I removed the entire dash to do it)

-New serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler.

-AC system completely replaced - new pump, condenser, receiver/drier, even the evaporator in the dash. Vacuum tested and charged with R-134a, works well. Also, condensate drain was modified from original design to prevent leaking into floorboard (common ZJ issue)

-New plugs, cap, rotor, high performance plug wires, and new coil

-New O2 sensors and catalytic converter replaced.

-European-spec GLASS headlights with high output Hella bulbs, all wired through a relay harness for direct battery voltage. This is the best lighting you can get on a Jeep, as bright as my new truck. Also the plastic header panel that mounts all front-end components was replaced.

-foglights replaced with 168 Watt LED sealed off-road units, wired to factory fog light switch.

- Kevin’s Off-Road heavy duty radiator brace with recovery points - plate welded for reinforcement and drilled to use oversize ⅝” pin shackles. Custom reinforcement plates used for chassis mounting. Shackles included. Factory bumper is cut to take advantage of increased approach angle. Solid recovery points to pull you out if you do somehow manage to get stuck.

- FIVE new Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires (including spare for correct rotation) with less than 7k miles on them. These tires handle and ride great on road but have silly amounts of traction off road. Over $1000 spent on tires alone.

-Kenwood radio with bluetooth, pandora, spotify, and hands-free calling. Also satellite radio capable with additional antenna and subscription. Can be controlled through bluetooth by downloading the Kenwood app to your phone. Front speakers are MB Quart Reference series components with Alpine rear speakers. Factory amp bypassed and removed.

-Added USB power ports

-Front driveshaft rebuilt with Spicer OEM Ujoints and a new CV joint

-New lift struts on rear hatch and window.

-2 new keyfob remotes

-Parking brakes rebuilt (they actually work! Find another old Jeep with THAT feature!)

- Custom hood venting for heat extraction

-New windshield by previous owner

Other features:

-318 V8 runs strong with no issues. Good compression on all 8 cylinders and does not burn oil.

-Almost every luxury feature works fine. That includes power seats with lumbar and memory settings that are activated by the key fob. Power mirrors with defrost. Automatic headlights. Power door locks (except psg rear door.), power windows and power moon roof all work great.

-Includes Yakima cross bars on factory roof rack - ready to mount that cargo basket you want.

Known problems (it’s a 21 year old Jeep, of course it has a few)

-Front driveshaft needs balanced. Creates a slight vibration over 60mph.

-Rear main oil seal leaks a little but not bad

-Timing chain cover leaks a little coolant. Again, not bad, have to top off the coolant reservoir every couple months.

-Leather on front seats is shot, but they have covers on them and are still really comfortable

-interior and exterior are probably 6/10. It’s a little scruffy but looks great from 20 feet away.

I'm asking $4500 on Craigslist but it can be had at a STEEP discount for GRM members. PM me if interested.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
12/18/18 7:41 p.m.

Mileage? 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/18/18 7:54 p.m.

Ah, sorry. 170,000.

Missed it on the copy and paste.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/18/18 7:55 p.m.

I have to say, parts and labor done to the truck top out at over $4500, and the work that still needs done is shadetree mechanic stuff.  I wish I was in the market, that is a screamin deal on a great platform/engine combo. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/18/18 8:58 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I have to say, parts and labor done to the truck top out at over $4500, and the work that still needs done is shadetree mechanic stuff.  I wish I was in the market, that is a screamin deal on a great platform/engine combo. 

You are correct!

grover
grover HalfDork
12/20/18 11:32 a.m.

I bought a truck from Ultraclyde about a year ago and it was a great transaction. He maintains his vehicles way better than I do, I’d buy from him again. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/27/18 6:54 a.m.
grover said:

I bought a truck from Ultraclyde about a year ago and it was a great transaction. He maintains his vehicles way better than I do, I’d buy from him again. 

Thanks for the endorsement!  I take care of stuff like I'm going to own it forever and then i lose money when I decide to sell it lol.

I finished removing my ham radio equipment and cleaned it up yesterday. Posted to Craigslist this morning.  Here's some updated pics:

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/2/19 7:18 a.m.

Okay guys, limited time offer. My insurance grace period on the Jeep runs out on January 15th - which means I have to actually write a new policy after that to keep it legal. If you buy it from me before Jan 15th you can get all this American V8 goodness for $3000.  That's a no-haggle, bottom dollar deal.

TurboX
TurboX None
1/4/19 4:05 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I'm interested, but have some questions. It won't let me PM you though. Maybe I'm too new to this Forum?

PM me if you still have it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/10/19 7:17 a.m.
TurboX said:

In reply to ultraclyde :

I'm interested, but have some questions. It won't let me PM you though. Maybe I'm too new to this Forum?

PM me if you still have it.

Dude, I totally missed your post. I do still have it, I PM'd you this morning. Post back here if you don't get it, or just post here. I don't have a problem answering most questions (outside pricing) in a public place. Nothing to hide.

TurboX
TurboX New Reader
1/10/19 4:35 p.m.

Replied to your PM. Let me know if you don't get it!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/10/19 9:36 p.m.

Great deal on that truck! I'd be real tempted to snag it if I didn't already have 4 vehicles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AyeR9rAB4Jp5fq3mniYwyeYsZRJ0loAuQFiAeWG3rHTlcwzsCSAPuROLFuV5mSuu