pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
7/22/21 8:32 a.m.

Photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zqk62aj4CBSuLi3m8

Pains me to do this after all I've invested but I'm selling my '98 V70 GLT as I do not want to bring it to California, where it will probably fail smog and be totally worthless.

242,000 miles. 20-valve I5 w/light pressure turbo, Aisin AW50-42 automatic transmission. Runs, drives, shifts great. Has hot heat, and cold A/C; a necessity these days.

Unusual color combo (427 pearl grey, kind of a purpley-grey color, with dark walnut interior trim). Rolling on 17" BBS Propus wheels with BFG performance all seasons (2 summers on them), also includes a set of 16" Meteor wheels with Michelin snow tires (1 winter on them) and a set of factory Volvo winter floor mats. Does have the third row seat option.

Has dings, dents, and a little rust around the edges, but not a rust bucket by any means.

In the past 10,000 miles, I have done (and have receipts for):

• Timing belt, water pump, tensioner
  • Cam seals
  • PCV system (with blue box Volvo parts)
  • Spark plugs, cap, rotor
  • Alternator
  • P/S pump
  • Serp belt, idler, and tensioner
  • ALL boost, vacuum, and coolant hoses, replaced with silicone where available (yes even the nightmare ones under the turbo)
  • Mass Air Flow sensor
  • Rebuilt/flow matched fuel injectors
  • Fuel filter
  • All engine/transmission mounts
  • Both oxygen sensors
  • Axles
  • Front wheel bearings
  • Transmission axle seals
  • Heater core
  • HVAC blower motor
  • Coolant tank
  • A/C compressor and drier
  • Atmospheric pressure sensor
  • Brakes on all four corners
  • Struts, shocks, and springs
  • Subframe bushings
  • New battery
  • New sets of summer and winter tires
  • Drained and filled transmission fluid 5 times in 500 miles
  • More I am definitely forgetting
  • Previous owner provided recent receipts for recent front control arms and new radiator.

Modifications/upgrades:

• Koni Special Active shocks/struts with T5 Sport front springs and Lesjofors overload rear springs
  • 302mm R front brakes w/stainless lines
  • Delrin subframe bushings
  • Pierburg Porsche TCV
  • SAS delete w/early 850 airbox and harness resistor mod (passes plug-in OBD2 emissions with no issues)
  • Sony CD/USB/Bluetooth stereo

Known issues:

• Puff of oil smoke from tailpipe on startup when car hasn't been driven for more than a few days. Presumed to be turbo seals; no alarming oil consumption between changes (about a quart in 6k miles)
  • Sunroof works, but can never decide if it wants to tilt or slide. One function always seem to work while it gets stuck attempting the other. Regardless, it always closes fine.
  • Heat and A/C work great, but one of the blend motors is stuck, so the HVAC is perpetually blowing to defrost and front dash vents (aka best possible failure mode). I know which blend motor is bad and luckily it's the easiest one to get to.
  • When I bought the car it had the "no reverse lights" issue, aka failing PNP switch, so I replaced it with an aftermarket Skandix PNP. Well the Skandix one is clearly a Chinese piece of junk and once every couple months throws an "impossible shifter position" code in park from a cold start. The code can be cleared with a Volvo diagnostic app on Android phones and the transmission operates normally; if not cleared, the transmission operates in limp mode. I need to rebuild the factory switch and put it back in to fix this but will probably not have time to do this before I move. If you don't have one, I can give you a cheap Android phone with the sale to clear the code if it comes up.
  • It is getting to the mileage where someone should look at the delta link bushings which is not a fun job, but it doesn't have any current alignment issues or signs that they have outright failed.
  • Has droopy sun visor syndrome (common on these cars). Currently Velcro'ed up. I have a replacement but have not had time to install.

I was going hard into this car and hoping to get 400k out of it because I love these Volvos, but now I have no choice but to sell it. With all the time and effort I have invested, someone is getting a deal. Great candidate to just drive as-is or swap the injectors and turbo and get a tune to go beat on Mustangs. I have a whole bin of spare parts that will go along with the sale.

$3000/obo. I NEED to sell this before August 22nd. If I am going to cave on the price I would rather do it for a GRM'er than some shiny happy person on Facebook Marketplace.

pointofdeparture
7/22/21 8:39 a.m.

If my $3000 asking price is met I can include a Thule Aerobar roof rack setup with fork-mount bike carriers. This whole setup was $600 by itself. Otherwise I will keep it all for a future vehicle.

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
7/25/21 11:54 a.m.

That is gorgeous. Seating for 7?? Nice! GLWTS

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/25/21 1:05 p.m.

I'm really glad this isn't close or I'd be trying to figure out if I could sell my Saab 900 to fund it.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
7/26/21 11:41 a.m.

Very interested in this and considering a fly-and-drive. Would you trust this on a road trip to make it to Baltimore, MD?

pointofdeparture
7/26/21 10:10 p.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

Yeah it would totally drive there, I've driven it to Iowa, northern Wisconsin, and Illinois on camping trips packed with hundreds of pounds of gear and bikes. I have zero reliability fears*; the only thing about it that's a pain in the ass is the PNP switch issue, which isn't mechanical in nature, can be reset, and has only happened twice in my ownership. Just something that needs to be taken care of eventually.

* It is a 242k mile turbo Volvo and if you're doing neutral drops or putting 87 octane in and doing drag passes I can't guarantee it won't fail catastrophically. But it has been dead nuts reliable in my care.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
7/27/21 11:32 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

PM sent

Turbotalon1g
Turbotalon1g New Reader
9/3/21 11:39 p.m.

Did this sell?

pointofdeparture
9/4/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Turbotalon1g :

Yes, this sold to a local person about a month ago. Sorry!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
baDnN3cKuAdxewwJxkBF3gOFiXDKJRBK9dXECkqAk4sRk6ZSFzK2UYTa2Zp6ShFE