ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
3/12/23 1:57 p.m.

I’m selling the 2001 VW Passat GLS wagon that I bought new in August of 2000. Passat is front wheel drive with a 1.8 turbo engine (AUG code) and 5 speed manual transmission. Exterior is Colorado Red with a grey leather interior. Car has resided in Colorado since new.

Car currently has 251,000 miles but is in great shape and runs well, consistently averaging over 30 mpg. No rust and no white fuzz on the aluminum components. Clutch was replaced at 196,000 miles and all the lower control arms were replaced at 248,000. Mobil 1 0W40 oil changed every 5000 miles or every year, which ever came first. Transmission fluid and power steering fluid replaced every 50,000 miles. Brake fluid replaced about every 2 years. Timing belt and associated parts replaced every 60,000 miles. Complete maintenance records are available.

Paint is in very good condition with the exception of the front bumper clear coat which is peeling. No accidents since new but there is a dent in the hood from a jack stand

The lock button on the driver’s door doesn’t work and the window regulator on the left rear door is broken. Wheels currently on the car are the same size as stock but from a B5 Audi A4. The stock VW wheels with worn out snow tires are included in the sale.

Minimal modifications including:

Koni FSD shocks with Eibach springs

6 CD changer connected to factory sound system

E-code headlights

Window tint

Boost, oil pressure and volt gauges

B&M short shifter

Debadged

Car is located SE of Denver, Colorado.

$4500

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
3/13/23 9:56 a.m.

Wow, that's remarkably clean for an early '00s VW.   GLWS.  

Docwemple
Docwemple Reader
3/13/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Agreed!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
3/13/23 11:02 a.m.

I'd probably try this on one of the auction sites. 

Looks great!

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
3/13/23 11:58 a.m.

Thank you for the positive comments.

Cars and Bids rejected it.  I haven't tried any other sites yet.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
3/13/23 12:07 p.m.

Surprised C&B rejected it; especially not only being a one owner, but also a manual wagon.

GLWTS, its a very nice car.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
3/13/23 2:39 p.m.

Thank you for the comments

Cars and Bids didn't think it met the needs of their community.  Nothing specific

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
3/13/23 3:31 p.m.

In reply to ColoradoBob :

It's got to be the mileage because otherwise this is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect to see on Cars & Bids.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/13/23 3:41 p.m.

The mpg indicated on the dash doesn't jive with the EPA estimated mpg.   Any idea why? 

Do you live in an area that uses a lot of salt in the winter?

Nice looking car BTW.     

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
3/13/23 5:14 p.m.

The mpg shown was from moving the car out of the garage to take pictures.  Normal mpg is about 31 mpg

They use some chemicals in winter, but nothing like they do in the eastern US.  When it was being used daily it was washed frequently, including the undercarriage.  There is no rust on the body and just some small spots on the front subframe and rear axle.  Aluminum components don't have any of the white fuzz you see from salt exposure.  I can take additional pictures if you'd like to see more detail.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
3/18/23 11:47 a.m.

To the top.  Still looking for a new home.

Contact me with any questions

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/18/23 8:16 p.m.

Man that looks great!  I had a face lifted 2001.5 Passat wagon with the same options.  Really loved that car.

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
4/17/23 2:16 p.m.

Price reduced to $4000 

Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information

ColoradoBob
ColoradoBob New Reader
5/2/23 1:00 p.m.

Car is sold.  It went to a VW enthusiast in Denver, CO

Thank you for all the positive comments

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners