dettonator20
dettonator20 New Reader
10/11/19 8:16 a.m.

Hey Far-More-Knowledgeable-Than-I Car-nuts!

I learn more from just the for-sale forums here than the technical forums of most other sites!

This is my son's first car but he is now away at college, and a different vehicle is needed since there aren't many rotary mechanics in Alabama. The engine was replaced under warranty (as many RX-8s were) by previous owner just before 100k miles (we have documentation and confirmation from the Mazda dealer) and the car has 152,057 now.

It is Velocity Red in mostly good shape, except for serious fading and loss of clearcoat on the roof and trunk, and RUST-FREE! It has 3-4 golfball-sized dings and a few door dings in the passenger side, a couple on the driver's, and some scratches all around. Basically, it's a good 20-footer.

The red and black leather interior is in really good shape, the sunroof works fine, the stereo has a short so it works intermittently, and importantly in Florida: the A/C blows cold! The clutch has plenty of life, and 6-speed shifts fine, check engine light has been on the whole two years that we have owned the car. We replaced the starter motor with high torque one, which has eliminated hot-start issues which the 2004 models, especially, are known for.

We replaced the tires with BF Goodrich G-Force Sports Comp-2 in stock 225/40-18 (340 treadwear) and they only have about 4000 miles on them. If I understand the Challenge rules, the tires could be done in a separate purchase? It handles great and has that wonderful 9000-RPM redline!

I could deliver to The Challenge, as well. I would possibly be interested in trading for an SUV (really interested in that 4Runner of Dyintorace if this sells in time) or 4-door truck in good condition for my wife (hence "GOOD" condition), or maybe a Miata or another manual fun car, preferably RWD or AWD, but a hot-hatch or manual wagon would be cool, too.

I noticed that we didn't have any pictures of the engine bay so I will add those or any others that you would like. Of course, feel free with any questions or comments (I know you guys are all really shy about that) ;-)

Thanks,

Craig

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/19 8:22 a.m.

I really want another RX8. 

Are you saying you’d take $2K for a Gpod entry?  We may have a deal...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/19 8:31 a.m.

...that’s not quite what you said. wink

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/19 8:44 a.m.

You’ve got a PM

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/11/19 11:20 a.m.

awesome. SV if you get this car and bring it to the challenge I'd love to ride along, I'm really watching these closely to maybe pounce on one as well. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/19 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Of course!

Maybe on track. You’re a better driver than me!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/11/19 1:56 p.m.
Robbie said:

awesome. SV if you get this car and bring it to the challenge I'd love to ride along, I'm really watching these closely to maybe pounce on one as well. 

Not to muddy OPs thread, but I have one you can pounce on Robbie that's a lot closer to you (I'm in the NW burbs. but fairly rusty) Gastropod legal. Shoot me a PM.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/23/19 12:21 p.m.

I sent you a convoluted message. smiley

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/24/19 2:23 p.m.

I'm glad/sad I didn't see this post a few days earlier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ytqRSKvj8TQN8IjtRv1FjlRDPuvb1AbOnwCJidJS9M070fS6b48cX406HYpTUUq1