1 2 3
fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/18/20 7:48 a.m.

Time to reduce the fleet. I picked up a Miata last summer and my wife fell in love with it so the Mustang is the one that is up for sale. I purchased it in August 2018 from Fasted58 and his for sale ad with a great list of mods and photos can be found here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/fs-2005-mustang-gt-5-speed-49k-miles-mine/142259/page1/

Please review his ad as it captures the upgrades, details, and photos.

The car looks the same as it did then as I have only put about 4k miles on it since I purchased it. All of his comments still apply with the exception of the drivers door handle issue which I have fixed. The extra wheels and extra axle back exhaust systems are not available but the other items mentioned as extras are included. The strut brace is included but not currently mounted on the car as it would need a slight modification due to the addition of castor/camber plates.

Changes that I have made since purchasing the car from Ed include:

Maximum Motorsports adjustable castor/camber plates. I can easily go from -1.8 degrees of camber for street driving to -3.2 degrees for autocross and track driving in a matter of minutes.

Whiteline adjustable rear sway-bar replaced the stock rear sway-bar. The combination of adjusting the camber and the rear sway-bar has resulted in a car that is very neutral handling.

BMR adjustable lower control arm brackets. This allows the control arms to be moved to a more neutral position after the car was lowered.

Rear axle vent system. The Mustang rear axle is known to slobber gear oil when driven on track and this set-up prevents that. It isn’t fancy or high dollar but it works.

Front brakes upgraded to 13.2” rotors from the original 12.4” rotors. Brake pads (F/R) also upgraded for street/track use. Front brakes have 3”cooling ducts added to aid in cooling for track use. This set-up worked very well at Gingerman raceway and was near its potential at Mid-Ohio. Lap times with a novice driver (me) were 1:53-1:54 at both tracks. If I keep the car, I will upgrade to the 14” rotor Brembo 4 piston set-up as this can be done for reasonable cost and would be warranted for faster tracks.

Oil and filter changed after every track day. Fresh brake fluid flush before every track day. Transmission lube replaced at 50K miles.

I tracked this car a total of (3) HDPE events. Twice at Gingerman raceway for TNIA events which included (3) 20 minute sessions and once at Mid-Ohio which was (5) 20 minute sessions. No off track adventures and zero issues during the events. I also Auto-crossed it 4 times in CAMC. With the current tires and wheels it is not going to be competitive in CAMC but it is a lot of fun to drive. The tires are still in good shape and have ~ 5/32” tread depth.

I have really enjoyed owning the car and I think it drives nice on the highway, around town, and on the track. Bang for the buck I think the performance is tough to beat. It doesn’t have the horsepower of the 2011+ GT’s but it was plenty quick for this driver to learn a lot on the track.

Cons:

No windshield washer fluid reservoir is currently installed. The brake duct tubing routed through this area so I removed it. I still have the reservoir and it can be re-installed if the brake cooling isn’t desired.

I only have 1 key for it.

I am not advertising it anywhere else at this time. The GRM price is $8000. I think I got a great deal from Ed, I added some nice upgrades to make it perform even better, and it is a super clean 2005 53,xxx mile Mustang GT that has not seen a Midwest winter. Located just north of Fort Wayne, Indiana in Leo, Indiana (46765). Message through the board or call/text two 6 zero three 3 three 2 eight 6 five

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/20 8:29 a.m.

Wow.  Looks like a great deal and just a couple of hours away from me too.  For me, the right car at the wrong time.  

However, I just went through this thought process and research so I will share it with someone else...  

• If bought at $8,000
  • PenFed will loan up to 110% of NADA and has no limit on how old the car can be.
  • Research shows NADA to be $8,600 + $860 = $9,460 so no problem borrowing the whole $8,000. 
  • I would pay the state tax in cash.  
  • $8k for 3 yrs @ 2.99% is a $233 payment
  • $8k for 4 yrs @ 3.99% is a $181 payment

Someone please buy this before I talk myself into it.  

glueguy
glueguy Dork
2/18/20 8:34 a.m.

Hard to believe that is 15 years old.  That just screams easy button for the Hot Rod Power Tour and then track day fun to me.  GLWS.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/18/20 9:58 a.m.

Please reach out to Racingcomputers on yahoo

Just what step son is looking to obtain.

He had cash

lol

Thanks

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/18/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

Email sent

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/18/20 10:20 a.m.

If you were in Ohio I'd be very interested.  Just a tad out of my price range.  I posted this ad last week:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/wtb-i-need-a-fun-car-mid-ohio-area/163725/page1/

I'll be watching though.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/20 10:22 a.m.

ughh...  not for me now, but what I'm looking for in about a year.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/18/20 10:34 a.m.

Thanks

Email answered

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/18/20 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

I saw the ad and thought about reaching out to you but unfortunately my price is firm and a bit out of your range. I don't foresee a price drop as I don't need to sell it and I think the value is pretty solid where it is priced currently.

I am about 15 miles from Ohio but not quite in the state. Born a Buckeye but moved across the state line for work in my early twenties. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/20 10:38 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

He's in Fort Wayne, IN

That's about as close as you can be to Ohio w/o actually being there.  

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/18/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

8k really wouldn't be a problem.  Do you think it would fit the bill?  Just something cool to drive on nice days and have a little fun.  A little loudness and stiffness would be ok.  It would not be raced, just stored and driven in nice weather.  I've owned the 80's Japanese cars, now it's time to get some muscle.  Is the title clean and in your name?

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/18/20 10:58 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I know.  I don't travel much and finding people to go and drive my car back and all that is a pain.  Not too many friends around.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/18/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

Honestly, I think you would be happy with it as it rides better than I expected. If I was focused on faster lap times, a stiffer set-up with coil over shocks would have been on the to-do list but that could result in a compromised ride.

It makes really nice noises (in my opinion and others have commented as well). It isn't "too" loud but sounds pleasant to my ear.

It isn't crazy fast but it will get out of its own way, and I think it is pretty sharp looking. 

It does have a clean title in my name (no lien).

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/20 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

For roughly $150 you can get the AAA Platinum membership that will tow your car 4 times and one of those tows can be 200 miles (the others only 100 miles)

I'm not sure where you are located but Ohio is only about 250 miles wide buy 250 miles tall

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/18/20 12:31 p.m.

Reply replied to

Thanks

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/18/20 1:11 p.m.

GLWS.  That seems to be a great deal. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
2/18/20 1:42 p.m.

Sale pending.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/18/20 2:07 p.m.

Hey Barry, nice car there!

GLWS

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
2/18/20 3:49 p.m.

Step Son is ecstatic

My turn next

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/18/20 6:11 p.m.

Wanted it then, want it now.  Not my time to buy.  

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/19/20 5:17 p.m.

I love everything about it - color, wheels, interior, mileage, 3 pedals, price  - great!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/20/20 9:48 a.m.

Is this still available? 

If so, email me at my screen name, @ gmail dot com

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
3/8/20 2:54 p.m.

Thanks to FastEd58 and Fusion 66 for building a interesting 2005 Mustang.  723 mile road trip to pick it up for the son in law,  three rush hour traffic jams (never stalled it once), and all under the speed limit for 5 states.

Frost heaves and chuck holes were interesting till I figured out how to address them.

Delightful ride up the French River Canyon Gorge on I 40 between Knoxville and Asheville

The fun starts now

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/11/21 8:03 p.m.

Lookie what I found

How's the car working out?

RacingComputers
RacingComputers Reader
3/12/21 12:50 p.m.

Car is running well

Barry reached out this AM.

love to have that key.