1 2
AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/13/19 1:29 p.m.

Honestly I think they probably saw 2010 Acura TL and pressed the "Reject" button without looking at anything else.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/14/19 7:44 a.m.

This is not the happy ending for this car that I'd prefer but unless someone shows some real interest soon, it's going to CarMax early next week. I found a car I'd like to move on and having this sit around is not really in the cards. It'll likely wallow in the doldrums of auction and wholesale lots but I've done all I can for it in my ownership.

I know I've only had it listed for a week but it's really time to move on from this thing. Borrowing my wife's car or driving the truck even to just get across the city for the last couple months has run its course. 

I'm willing to give someone here who will breathe life back into it a smoking deal but you have to speak up fast!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/17/19 1:24 p.m.

Gone. Gunna miss it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/17/19 1:28 p.m.

Dang.. what did they end up giving you for it, if you don't mind me asking?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/17/19 1:52 p.m.

$5,000. Probably half (or less) of what it should be worth at this point in its life and considerably less than I wanted for it now but it was quick. 

Oh and I'm getting a $223 Visa gift card from Acura because I paid the dealer to do a valve adjustment. It's a huge bummer but I expected it to be worth about $0 when I was done with it so maybe getting $5k is a positive. Nah, nothing positive about this.

On the way home my wife goes, "So I suppose we're never buying an Acura again.". I immediately say, "100%." Then I think for probably 15 seconds and go, "Well, unless we can afford an NSX at some point...". She asks what an NSX is. I tell her. She rolls her eyes and smiles.

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
6/18/19 10:46 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Sorry it had to end that way man. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/18/19 12:04 p.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

Sorry it had to end that way man. 

I appreciate that, thanks.

It has occurred to me that this car just carried with it some bad luck.

It was garaged - but had a TV dropped on it in the garage.

It was regularly detailed - but it was backed into and run into a couple times.

I once blew two new tires on a rain-soaked W.25th street in Cleveland - TWO. Then the tow driver came and jacked it on the plastic rocker panel (no permanent damage)

It was as mechanically well-maintained as it could be - but it ate oil and seems to have terminal damage.

It's strange not having it around and I really hope it gets a new lease on life. Onwards and upwards to the TDI life.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/18/19 6:37 p.m.

Love the color combo, sorry I didn't see it sooner. Modern engines scare me though, so i probably wasn't your buyer. It was a sharp car though. I'd love a manual DD.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/23/19 8:24 a.m.

I wouldn't worry one but about the valvetrain.  On a Honda, you only worry when you CAN'T hear it, since the valves recede faster than the rockers wear.  The normal "valvetrain needs adjustment" mode is a misfire when hot because the valves aren't closing all the way.

The nice thing is that, since the valvetrain is mechanical, oil pressure or lack thereof has no effect on the valvetrain.  Same for BELT-drive camshafts like the V6 has.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ApcmkK5PB9jAoNt4BcGIJPTfJq7XQUUy7vkDRkj8CBPd8C1ZWFRbXtI24EIo8uwu