No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/21 11:08 a.m.

I'm listing my 2011 Elantra for sale. I'm open to discussion on price and have it listed at $4950 locally but less here.

I'm open to discussion on the asking price for if any GRMers are looking for an appliance. It's not an exciting car, but it is reliable, efficient, and comfortable. 

It has 174,000 miles on the chassis and shows the normal cosmetic defects for a 10 year old car of that mileage. 

The highs:

- engine was replaced under warranty at 89k

- Trans was replaced under warranty at 75k

- pads and rotors on all 4 wheel on August 8

-Altimax R43t tires with 22k miles on them

The lows:

- front bumper cover has crack from chunk of tire on highway

- dent in left rear door

- small rust spots on roof from rock chips

- TPMS light it on

Additional items that I could include if interested, or can sell separately:

- Rhino rack roof rack with aero bars and mounts.

-15" Steel wheels with worn out Altimax arctic tires. No TPMS.  (5x114)

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/21 11:16 a.m.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/21 11:17 a.m.

Let me know if anyone wants additional pictures. Or you can check the FB listing for more photos 

Marketplace listing

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/21 2:17 p.m.

I predict your FB traffic will be strong!  Nice car.  

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks!

It shows well in the pictures so I'm hoping it will move quickly. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/11/21 3:00 p.m.

Wasn't someone (cooter maybe?) looking for a car to send someone to college in? this seems like the 'yes' button. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/11/21 3:05 p.m.

That's clean for that mileage!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/21 3:17 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

The 85k engine and 100k trans help too.   

New brakes both front and back!  

About 22k on about 70k rated tires!  And, General Tires, not some crappy brand.  

All that leaves is struts??  Rock Auto: about $100-$150 per front corner for loaded strut, but rears are less than $50 shock, reasonable priced.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/21 3:23 p.m.

Question to OP or Bob:  

I know that this was a first year model but what is it that takes out the original engine and trans before 100k?  

What then changed in these replacement units because they too are approaching the previous failure point?  

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/11/21 7:01 p.m.

My understanding is that Hyundai used a low friction ceramic coating on the piston skirts that failed on the earlier engines. When the coating came off the pistons it left clearance that resulted in piston slap. I assume they addressed the issue in the replacement engines, but never did dig into it further.

The failure of the engine was a widespread issue. It took several weeks for them to get a long block to replace mine. I picked up on the noise when it first started as a slight tic, but it wasn't until it until it became more pronounced that the dealer was able to act on it. I haven't heard any indication of piston slap and have been using OEM filters and Mobil 1 for all the oil changes after it was out of warranty. 

The transmission was a manufacturing defect and probably wouldn't have been detected by most people. It showed up in the first year, but took me until 75k to get the dealer to reproduce it. I actually had to video the gages one day to show the service department before they would do anything. 

What happened was that around 10-12k miles I noticed that if I backed into my driveway and parked that way overnight (so it was facing uphill) that the first time it shifted through the gears it would flare on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift and was fine after that for the rest of the day. If I parked facing in and it was facing downhill it wouldn't happen, or if it was parked facing uphill for only a couple of hours it wouldn't happen.  

I suspect something was draining down overnight, but only if facing uphill. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the replacement trans. 

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/11/21 9:18 p.m.

Interested. Sent you a PM...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/21 8:03 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

Interesting.  I like and respect these cars.

I knew there was some sort of "first year" problems.  Buying a high mile car is all about "buying the former owner."   I wouldn't shy from this one given that you seem to be an owner who intimately listens to his car rather than the usual "commoner" who just drives it until it doesn't drive any more and then complains about the surprise of the failure.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
8/12/21 2:54 p.m.

I'm going to pass this along to a friend that was looking for a car for their kid. We're localish as we're in south-eastern,MA. I see this was purchased new in a town a few away from us. The Rayham Auto Mile.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/12/21 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I used to work in that area at Medrobotics (just down the road from J&J). The first 60k+ miles of ownership were spent doing a 130 mile daily round trip commute between Holden and Raynham on 290 and 495. 

I'm familiar with the southeastern parts of MA, it's a nice area, my father used to have a seasonal camp site on little sandy pond.

Nlevine is letting me know when he can check it out this weekend. If he decides to pass I will update the post. 

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/16/21 8:59 a.m.

Sold and will soon be on its way to a new home.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/16/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

You put the car up on a Weds.  I didn't expect you'd still have it at end of business Friday and certainly didn't think it would still be around on Monday.  Congrats. 

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/16/21 7:04 p.m.

It's staying in the community, for a bit. It will eventually be going to my brother-in-law, who is in need of good, inexpensive-to-own transportation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ioqcro3ClF1dWLlxT6QmYsj8xA846u0emVFVtbKMQNvHAZuMh1PRhsYdfu4UzLaI