ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
11/29/22 5:14 p.m.

[SOLD]

I have a friend who has a 13 BMW 328xis black on black auto with 104xxx miles on it.  She took it to the dealership and they determined that the timing chain needs to be replaced.  The repair bill at the BMW dealership was far greater than she was willing to put into it.  The car is currently located at a BMW dealership in the western suburbs of Chicago.  If anybody is interested send me a message or post here and i'll PM you contact information.  

[/SOLD]

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
11/29/22 5:15 p.m.

i have a few more pictures including of one of the wheels and the engine that I'll email to anybody that is interested.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/29/22 7:24 p.m.

Do you know how much the dealers' estimate was?  Did the chain snap and render the engine a boat anchor?

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
11/29/22 9:39 p.m.

Dealership estimate states stretched chain the estimate was $4800 all in to repair (BMW dealership).   No idea of the damage to the engine, sorry

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/29/22 10:26 p.m.

Does it still run and drive (poorly, I assume)?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/30/22 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Why, you wanna drive it down here for me?  LOL

So hard to tell what risk it's worth without knowing if the engine is toast.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
11/30/22 8:33 a.m.

The early N20 has countless timing chain problems (Google it), and there will likely be metal throughout the engine, but the block is probably intact. If thinking about purchase, I would do so assuming the engine is coming out, or at the very least comprehensively apart.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
11/30/22 9:03 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Does it still run and drive (poorly, I assume)?

I haven't seen the car in its current condition, but i'm guessing No.  Based on the pictures the dealership appears to have at least pulled the cam covers and other parts that may/may not be reinstalled when whomever picks it up.  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
12/7/22 10:53 p.m.

this car is sold, thanks for everybody that showed interest.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d4UAPQOCVFiTVRouXQO0ONhu3MNmlxt8KYQCcUdwrCMugeyexjt6V2NYEoV5Tkg4