RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/3/16 8:10 a.m.

CL Ad said: 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 4 door. Car was built in Atlanta and has remained in Georgia it's entire life. Factory 390 big block car. Car now has a 5.9 liter 6bt Cummins turbo diesel swap out of a 93 Dodge 2500. Factory Ford 9in rear end. New disk brakes on the front. Billet Specialties 15x4.5 and 15x10 wheels. Car is all original on the outside and has great patina. Runs and drives great with tons of power. Factory non a/c car. Has heat and power steering. Has a small fuel leak from the injection pump but still drivable. Car is super reliable and fun to drive. I drive it to work atleast once a week. Possible partial trades but cash is king.

Who here built this and didn't even make a build thread about it?!?! NMNA

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
3/3/16 8:13 a.m.

That's awesome.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/3/16 9:07 a.m.

Lots of zeros on that price, but Berk yeah that's awesome.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/3/16 9:34 a.m.

In reply to java230:

You are definitely paying for the work that's been done, since driveable Galaxie in that condition is what-$3k car. And a Cummins is probably about the same?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/3/16 10:03 a.m.

I don't see the appeal. An 1100 lb engine with slow throttle response and a 3000 rpm redline that sounds like a diesel? I'll take a 289 that'll rev to 9000 rpm or maybe a 460 if I want the low-end hit.

I do love Cummins engines. They're great for towing. But they're not for the involvement of driving.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/3/16 10:43 a.m.

I love it. My modified 5.9 12v revved fast and put down a very reliable 750 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels. Surprised everyone that rode in it and I think it would have been a blast in a big ol boat like that.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/3/16 11:18 a.m.

That's really cool, but I think the guys 0 on his keyboard is broken.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/3/16 12:34 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: That's really cool, but I think the guys 0 on his keyboard is broken.

It's the age old $500 car + $1500 drivetrain = $Texas......if I were interested, $5k would be tops for that as its more than a fair consideration of the labor if the guy actually built it.

RossD wrote: You are definitely paying for the work that's been done, since driveable Galaxie in that condition is what-$3k car. And a Cummins is probably about the same?

It's a 4 door galaxie that's beat up, nowhere worth 3k for the chassis. 12v Cummins engines also aren't that expensive if you're smart enough to buy one inside a FUBAR'd truck.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/3/16 12:45 p.m.

The 390 that came out of there was a totally fine engine, though heavy for a gasser. I wonder how driving it compares.

I drove one with a 352, and they were never fast cars. I doubt the 390 was that much better OEM, but I guess I would do the 410 thing with the 428 crank and make it work before I'd throw a diesel in it.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
3/3/16 11:56 p.m.

Could be interesting if it were set up for LSR ie Ohio mile, Texas mile,,,,,

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/4/16 12:31 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Google would lead me to guess about a 450lb gain, and the COG of the engine is probably a bit farther forward, if definitely can't handle better now. Putting a Cummins with an auto behind it into boost is addictive though. I'd still choose a 460 over a 6BT though, on account of the weight.

Definitely crack pipe price, I'd guess fair market value at 1/3 what he's asking?

WaterfordMan
WaterfordMan New Reader
3/4/16 12:28 p.m.

Definitely an interesting swap. I fully support it. Not sure if it's worth the cost, but it could be worth it to someone.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
3/4/16 3:57 p.m.

I get a kick out of pointing out it has new front disk brakes when its a diesel and has 4.5 front wheels. Kinda pointless.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O8eLXrYuAUj37t5btTbTD4G0FMLT3fSuq629yqGefgekSN2TZ4U9cvIuoZNj2FQn