Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/20/21 11:49 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 9:37 a.m.

It does look nice but it is apparently not worth $5000 if it has been sitting at 2200 firm for 2 weeks with no takers...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/21/21 10:33 a.m.

Another person too lazy to get a title that is "easy" to get.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/21/21 11:07 a.m.

Seller sayz:  :Sold with a Bill of Sale but will guarantee that you can get a title".

So I make 3 trips to DMV and don't get a Title, now you give me $2200 back + $50 for my PITA?  Guaranteed?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/21/21 11:58 a.m.

I literally do not understand all these cars that show up with no title.  I treat the titles for my cars like they are printed on actual gold leaf.  And I title every car I own, no matter how long I plan to own it.  They are worthless otherwise.

A car without a title is a rolling parts pile.  You can't even scrap it unless you are willing to sawzall it into chunks.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/21/21 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

It's sorta like your credit rating. I'd guess that people with credit above 700 have all their vehicle titles and can find them within a few minutes. And I'd also say the opposite is true. 

It's not rating how much you make or if you are a nice person or if you're fun in a bar, it is a number that tells the world that you either give a E36 M3, or you don't. 

I'm not trying to tell you how credit scores work. I'm just trying to say that I'm not surprised that people who can't be bothered to give a E36 M3 lose their titles. 

128racecar
128racecar Reader
1/21/21 1:13 p.m.

The only valid reason for not having a title is if the state you are in doesn't issue titles for vehicles older than a specified number of years. Most states have it set up where you can easily and cheaply order a replacement title if you legitimately own the car.  My experience has been the following in these situations:

1. They don't have a title because the car is owned by an ex-spouse, ex-girlfriend, deceased relative, etc., and they are unable/unwilling to communicate with those people to apply for a replacement title.

2. They never titled the car to begin with, and so the registering state is going to want late penalties, past registration fees, etc., which will wipe out their profit margin.

3. It is stolen. If you suspect this, DO NOT SAY YOU ARE GOING TO CHECK THE VIN WITH THE LOCAL POLICE!!! One time I did that, and the "seller" unholstered a firearm on me. Fortunately, I walked away from that episode. Just contact the local police, and give them a tip that you suspect a car is stolen after you are long gone from looking at it.

Only a fool thinks he can sell a car without a title. They'll eventual apply for a title if it is really possible, part it out, or cut it up. Many states won't let you junk a car if you don't have a title. They'll learn, one way or another.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/21/21 1:46 p.m.

I'm with Duke;  lets spend all winter working on a car in a cold garage while pouring in shoe boxes of money then some pinhead walks up your driveway with a Sheriff and says "That's mine".

Stoopid....

eurotech6830
eurotech6830 New Reader
1/21/21 4:49 p.m.

I'm hoping someone pops up with my Elva that was taken from my storage. I have a police report and title in hand waiting.... Happened with a Porsche 912 I had got a nicely restored car back. 

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/21/21 7:06 p.m.
eurotech6830 said:

I'm hoping someone pops up with my Elva that was taken from my storage. I have a police report and title in hand waiting.... Happened with a Porsche 912 I had got a nicely restored car back. 

What is the story on the 912??

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/21/21 8:38 p.m.
Duke said:

I literally do not understand all these cars that show up with no title.  I treat the titles for my cars like they are printed on actual gold leaf.  And I title every car I own, no matter how long I plan to own it.  They are worthless otherwise.

A car without a title is a rolling parts pile.  You can't even scrap it unless you are willing to sawzall it into chunks.

In some states that is true... in others not so much. All depends on where ya live.

Now I do laugh every time I see and ad telling me how easy the title will be to get, or how cheap the repair will be. Well. Prolly not, or it be done already!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
of8jWP67XLFVs7j6dck5mJP7oIueStxTQWn4IheblMSlLJCUrt7vyzxbGcsrwEEf