AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/12/19 9:22 a.m.

***SOLD***

$500 to GRMers (without the boxes of extra parts, roof rack, and with a different, but matching set of wheels). If you want some of the parts or the wheels, they are negotiable.

Located in Northeast Oklahoma. Here's the thread where I got the car and started to work on it: Should I? '91 Golf VR6 project

TLDR - This is a stripped out, non-running 1991 Golf  GTI with a 12V VR6 swapped in. It had already had a VR6 running in the chassis under a previous owner and this engine was 'mostly' swapped in after that one 'died'. I bought it with the 2019 Challenge in mind. Found out the fuel system was a mess and a Challenge priced Boxster came up for sale before I went further.

Interior is stripped.

Fuel pump/accumulator unit leaks.

Engine does run when fuel is supplied.

Very little rust - A small part of floor under the driver's seat that I planned to repair.

Includes: new front bumper cover and gril, a Neuspeed tuned chip for the ECU that I have not installed yet, New set of coolant hoses.

Might include: 12V VR6 block of unknown condition, unknown condition transmission, a seat, lots of extra parts (some broken or worn out).

I didn't get very far on this car and it's going to need lots of TLC to be a good reliable car. Previous VW experience a plus, but it's needs are all pretty basic. If I was going to go further with this I'd probably swap in a fuel system from a parts car, or get a cheap fuel cell and pump. I won't part it into my other projects and scrap it because it's a solid classic shell that needs to be built. Clean OK title and non-op registration.

***SOLD***

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/12/19 9:40 a.m.

What wheels are those?

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/12/19 9:59 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

What wheels are those?

Mini Cooper 4x100 15x5.5 "Phone dial". They need a spacer to fit the VW, I think the offset is 45. I'm thinking of keeping them for my Scirocco or Cabriolet.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/12/19 10:16 a.m.

Oh man. I don't need this. I am enabling my brother so hard.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
11/12/19 9:28 p.m.

This Golf seems to be a legitimate chance at challenge glory. Clean it up, strip it out, make it a harlequin color scheme with painter's tape.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/13/19 10:44 a.m.

God help me, you have PM.

Also, any interest in trades? This would be way easier to stomach if some of my other neglected E36M3 was gone.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/13/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I don't have the PM yet, but I'll be watching. As far as trades go, I'm always willing to consider cool stuff, but really this is about having more space and less projects. I could probably fit an old motorcycle in, but no cars.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/13/19 11:43 a.m.

I just looked at your 'garage'. Is the Norton in bad enough shape to trade for the GTI?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/13/19 12:00 p.m.

I want to see this with a W8 swapped into the back and the VR6 in position up front for the strangest sounding AWD 14 cylinder monstrosity anyone has ever heard.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/13/19 12:08 p.m.

I was really hoping you'd bite on my Beetle and all the spares for your Golf and all the spares.

I don't think I would ever be able to find another Norton as nice as it is for as little as I bought it for. How about a running '70s Honda dirtbike plus some cash?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/13/19 12:08 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Someone did that with a passat sedan at some point but I can't remember where i saw it

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/13/19 12:34 p.m.

Is there a vr6 trans with an LSD? Just in general, is one available, not does this car come with one. Unless it does...

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/13/19 1:21 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:  ... How about a running '70s Honda dirtbike plus some cash?

I might be interested. It depends on the bike. Want to PM some info or pics?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/13/19 1:51 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

In your mailbox.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/13/19 2:24 p.m.

yes

I grew up on an XL175 before I got the '73 Norton. My other favorite was a Suzuki GS. You don't happen to have one of those too?

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/13/19 3:07 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I don't, sorry. My motorcycle portfolio isn't real deep.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
11/14/19 11:23 p.m.

Well John, I meant to post this a lot earlier in the day, but got sidetracked by a few things, then watched the rest of Jack Ryan season 2. Here's a video to show you enough info that you can still run away before we commit to this. I think I still have a box in the back of my garage with some interior pieces and I didn't have the aluminum seat handy. For towing on a dolly the front tires look pretty good so I'll swap them to the rear.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/HN7fU4idSFI

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
12/1/19 9:21 p.m.

Sold/Traded

Today I met with JohnInKansas near the Kansas/Oklahoma border and the deal is done. He's got a VR6 $2000 Challenge contender and I have some cash and a much smaller, easier to manage project. Thanks John. Nice meeting you and your brother. Sorry I forgot the extra engine... I'll take good care of it 'till we figure out how to get it to you.

I might do a build thread for the Honda XL350 just for ...because. Originally, I thought I might clean it up and repaint it. I saw some very clean restored ones on YouTube. Having it in hand now, I love the patina. You can't make a bike look like that without years of weather and disregard. I don't plan to change it much cosmetically except for 'stabilizing it' and getting it street legal. If anyone has an appropriately beat up set of lights to bolt on it Please let me know. It would be a shame to put a new set of eBay made in China lights on it.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
12/2/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

I'll dig around in the deep storage and see if I still have any of the stock CB360 parts, which would include a tail light and maybe some turn signals. Will drop-ship if I can find, as I have no use for them.

We made it home without incident. Except for the hatch. Made it 15 miles down the road, checked the rearview mirrors and saw the hatch had been sucked open by highway speed. Hope we didnt lose anything important; I didn't look at what we had before, so I won't miss it if we did. Ratchet strapped the hatch to the steering wheel and carried on.

Good to meet you and your daughter as well. 

If its alright with you, I'd like to commandeer your build thread for the Golf and continue with that as context?

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
12/2/19 9:37 a.m.
JohnInKansas said:

In reply to AAZCD :

I'll dig around in the deep storage and see if I still have any of the stock CB360 parts, which would include a tail light and maybe some turn signals. Will drop-ship if I can find, as I have no use for them.

We made it home without incident. Except for the hatch. Made it 15 miles down the road, checked the rearview mirrors and saw the hatch had been sucked open by highway speed. Hope we didnt lose anything important; I didn't look at what we had before, so I won't miss it if we did. Ratchet strapped the hatch to the steering wheel and carried on.

Good to meet you and your daughter as well. 

If its alright with you, I'd like to commandeer your build thread for the Golf and continue with that as context?

Help yourself to the build thread - it goes with the car.

I Think all the stuff in back was either heavy enough or boxed up that you wouldn't have lost anything. Then again, if anything useful did 'fall out' and you 'recovered it', you can legitimately claim it as "found on the side of the road" in you budget for $0. Meanwhile since I still have your spare VR6 block, I'll fill a box of other misc parts I find that are part of the deal - and you do get the Harbor Freight engine stand along with that block.

The CB360 lights would be awesome if you find them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D946XeJxSEQ5Y7tjYa8AZspg4PKjZf09ZYEJNjYkc0RTXANjVblHu6viwL16PyF8